Are Custom Chips Needed for Game? (1 Viewer)

Tomis

Sitting Out
Reaction score
I am in the works of getting a 1/2 private game going, and right now my concern is chips. More specifically if custom chips are needed to prevent people from bringing in their own chips, is it really that big of an issue? Wondering if you guys have run into this problem.

I am in the works of getting a 1/2 private game going, and right now my concern is chips. More specifically if custom chips are needed to prevent people from bringing in their own chips, is it really that big of an issue? Wondering if you guys have run into this problem.

This is a question only you have the answer to.

However, if you get custom chips, then you are taking steps to maximize the security and integrity of your games, as well as a chance to get yourself a unique product that effectively "brands" your game. Players who are risking their hard earned money at your tables should be aware of that. and I daresay should be thankful for it.

Few people have or at least have identified it but it does happen as there are cases of it even including video. Many of the cash games I play use chips that are far more common than nearly anything on here - usually cheap slugged or injection mold chips. Everyone will say it’s better to have them not and there are some great benefits such as @allforcharity noted. In end most games won’t see chips snuck in but it’s up to you to decide for yourself/your game.

I appreciate all the input, I am want to do custom chips as I was planning on picking up some majestic blank chips. Then finding a label designer on PCF and then label them, a problem so far is I can't find a label designer, and I do not know how to label poker chips. But besides that, I got it all worked out.

Is it that big of an issue. No.

Is it an issue that is easy enough to fix and worth it. Yes.

One time burned could cost you plenty...

+1 to all these posts, it’s not the biggest issue, but it is an issue you would have fun fixing.

To me "needing custom chips" really depends on what kind of home game you're running.

Single table with a couple of friends? You should be fine, unless your friends are absolute a-holes.
Multi table room with a bunch of people? Get something they can't buy at a super market. Once a couple of rando's know they can buy a case of your black $ 100 chips at Wal Mart because you use dice chips, you might be in trouble.

There is however a third scenario...

IF you are on here for the same reason all of us are (namely to justify spending too much money on chips because you like them), then I'd say, yes, you do need them ;)

(because I'm an enabler :p )

@MathijsVS pretty much nailed it. If you are running a raked game where there are “friends of friends” or even worse, complete strangers playing I would not want risk a common set being used. It’s not likely someone would bring a stack $100 chips in, but even a couple of $25 chips would suck and be much harder to figure out for a while.

on the other hand, a single table game of invited friends is very unlikely to have anything happen.

The downside to custom chips is the cost. Excluding artist fees, you are looking at 20¢-30¢ a chip for labels on Majestics or other China clay.

The up-side is that your game will be much harder to bring in a counterfeit chip. Someone can replicate a relabeled Majestic chip, but it would take much more effort. So the security measure here is that you are removing the temptation to counterfeit a chip, because of the effort involved.

Obviously, a game with friends will be safer than a game with people you don't know as well. Again, removing the temptation to steal makes the game safer, and friends are less likely to steal from you. However, that temptation may rise if that friend "needs" the money. People have been known to do otherwise inexplicable things when they are deep in debt.

A $1-$2 game over many months may cost a losing player tens of thousands of dollars over a year. It may be just a couple buy-ins a week, but it adds up over time. If the gambler is also losing thousands on the ponies, lottery tickets, or at other card rooms, the temptation may become very high. Custom chips makes your game a little harder to pull off the scam.

So the question is, is that level of security worth 20¢-30¢ a chip?

I would just like to point out you asked a group of chip addicts if you should want chips. That's like asking a community of carb addicts if you should make cake.

Were all gonna say you should get customs, because we get customs with some of us not even having active games. Lol

Even if you don't go full custom, look at the "semi custom" options at @ABC Gifts and Awards / @BR Pro Poker (same manufacturer).

https://brpropoker.com/collections/standard-design-ceramic-poker-chips

64/rack (assuming 1000+ chips, or 70/rack for 500-999) for unique chips is cheap insurance for the amount involved in 1-2 NL.

I went for full customs from Sunfly for about 80/rack shipping and I am hosting lower than 1-2.

But if your concern is the design hassle as much as the price, think about the semi-custom route. Pick a design, put your name on it, unique secure chips just like that.

Last edited:
At $1/2, customs or at least semi-customs (custom-labelled or re-labelled) are a no brainer. They 're imperative.
It's not a friendly home game anymore, having probably 10K on the table...

I appreciate all the input, I am want to do custom chips as I was planning on picking up some majestic blank chips. Then finding a label designer on PCF and then label them, a problem so far is I can't find a label designer, and I do not know how to label poker chips. But besides that, I got it all worked out.
Apache offers a much simpler solution requiring no personal designer, if you are in a hurry. Just give them a name and a city name and they 'll do it all for you:)
https://www.apachepokerchips.com/product-category/custom-poker-chips/

Thank you guys for all the responses, definitely a lot to consider. Been reading through the US Custom Chips group, it's crazy you can just fall into a chip reading limbo for hours.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom