Are Copag playing cards always this slippery? (1 Viewer)

what do people think about the Modiano Platinum Acetate $30 for 2 decks ?

The Modiano Platinum Acetate and Dal Negro Blackjack (a little heavier card stock) are my favorites. The Modiano's I have are from a quantity purchase made about 10 years ago. I don't know if they have changed since then.

I will say this much for Copag. While I don't like them, they are cheap and easy to find in bulk and in a hurry. The first time I held a big tournament I wanted new unopened decks for every table. It was very easy to get a bulk deal shipped quickly, and after the tournament if someone mentioned they liked the cards I gave them a set. Worked out great, and was very cheap.

Still, that is just one of the problems with how slippery they are. My family is having a hard time working with these cards.
I’ve mentioned this in other posts, but I’ve found a lot of plastic cards, even ones that aren’t particularly slippery, can be a problem if you’re not doing a proper poker dealer shuffle, or if you’re playing games where you have to sort and hold a lot of cards in your hand. I usually reach for paper cards now, if I’m playing non-poker games with my kids.

I'll be in the minority and say I like Copags! :) They can definitely be slippery, but for my group of guys who like to hold and bend cards, they've held up great. I also played in a poker league for a few years (pre-COVID) and they used Copags and they've all held up well.

Have had terrible luck with KEMs, ordered some from Amazon and they've come bowed or cracked already. Finally got 2 setups (one bridge, one poker, both jumbo) recently that look okay out of the box, will see how they hold up...

Love the WSOP 2012 Fourniers. The 12+2 setups for under $40 shipped is not being offered right now (it's list at the regular $80 pre-shipping price), but 4 setups/8 decks for under $20 shipped is still available (and still a steal)! Also just got some Bicycle Prestiges to try at my next live game, and have some Dal Negros coming as well.

IMO copag are way too flimsy. They don’t hold up well at all and crease very easily. KEM are better but for some reason tend to get very slippery after you wash ur hands. Does anyone else experience that?

Modiano platinum are the best in my experience. I have been using them for well over 10 years. I don’t even think about using anything else.
7E5075E9-830E-4E10-8B06-B4658624CFE3.jpeg

IMO copag are way too flimsy. They don’t hold up well at all and crease very easily. KEM are better but for some reason tend to get very slippery after you wash ur hands. Does anyone else experience that?

Modiano platinum are the best in my experience. I have been using them for well over 10 years. I don’t even think about using anything else.
View attachment 819898
If only they made them in bridge size..... Can you ask them next time you order?

Copag are my first plastic card set up, they are ok but fail in comparison to other plastic card Brand

On a Side note, I do enjoy the Copag NEO series as their back artwork are very unique.

Last edited:
Copags are a bit on the slick side and are far from my first, second, or even third choice. For the cost and availability though, they're ok in a pinch. I haven't used a set up well enough to say if they settle in and become less slick after a few sessions or not, so I can't comment on that. Using Copags only is like buying the store brand cereal for your whole life. It does the job done, but once you've had the name brand stuff, there's no comparison when you measure Copag against Dal Negro/desjgn, Cartamundi Belgium, Fournier, King Australia, and Piatnik. Which cards I like best at any given time changes like the weather, but those five brands are simply on another level than Copag.

Last edited:
Copags are a bit on the slick side and are far from my first, second, or even third choice. For the cost and availability though, they're ok in a pinch. I haven't used a set up well enough to say if they settle in and become less slick after a few sessions or not, so I can't comment on that. Using Copags only is like buying the store brand cereal for your whole life. It does the job, but once you've had the name brand stuff, there's no comparison when you measure Copag against Dal Negro/desjgn, Cartamundi Belgium, Fournier, King Australia, and Piatnik. Which cards I like best at any given time changes like the weather, but those five brands are simply on another level than Copag.
1638327820829.png

Just bought Fournier for the first time after only exclusively using copag, hope it lives up to what you're saying!

I'll be in the minority and say I like Copags! :) They can definitely be slippery, but for my group of guys who like to hold and bend cards, they've held up great. I also played in a poker league for a few years (pre-COVID) and they used Copags and they've all held up well.
Same experience. My Copags are slippery at first, but all plastic cards I've used have been. The Copags, unlike the other plastics I've used, have "mellowed" some with modest play and are very easy to use now.

While kinda on the subject, do KEM setups no longer come with a hard plastic case (for poker-size only or bridge and poker)?

They still do
The pictures on Amazon show cardboard boxes for poker and plastic for bridge, in the Arrow design:

1638338378777.png

1638338472087.png

Actually, I guess the jumbo/bridge in red/blue for $35 in the second image also shows a cardboard box. Maybe they're slowly phasing out the plastic? More eco-friendly?

They are in a plastic case with removable paper cover
It's probably hard to see in my original screenshots, but every poker-size setup had a cardboard box in the product image, while all-but-one bridge-size showed a plastic case. You can see the paper box bow out a little below.

1638339796480.png

All sizes still show the paper sleeve w/the "100% Plastic Cellulose Acetate" on them. Anyway, just something I noticed and wondered if there were changes afoot.

Just noticed something else... all the setups that come in cardboard boxes have no hyphen between "plastic" and "cellulose" including the one bridge setup that had a cardboard box in its product picture (you can see the bowing of the edge of the cardboard box). Conspiracy?

1638340133345.png

Copags are very good for dealing from a shoe, where their relative slipperiness is an asset, not a liability. I have used them for my blackjack tournaments for 8 years and they are holding up great. A very smooth glide over gaming suede.

Copags are very good for dealing from a shoe, where their relative slipperiness is an asset, not a liability. I have used them for my blackjack tournaments for 8 years and they are holding up great. A very smooth glide over gaming suede.
I think I’ve seen you post that before. And, like my comment about family card games, it’s a good reminder that there’s no one card that’s going to be perfect for every purpose, or every users tastes. I base all my reviews on the fact that I like thin, textured cards. But lots of people like the snap of a thicker card. So I guess the best advice to the original poster is to buy a few decks and see what you like best.

There’s been a few times in the modern era of the WSOP where the players had major complaints about the cards being used.

IIRC, one time was when the poker peek cards were used and the other is the last time that Copags were used

There’s been a few times in the modern era of the WSOP where the players had major complaints about the cards being used.

IIRC, one time was when the poker peek cards were used and the other is the last time that Copags were used
This thread covers 2005-2019. Looks like Copag's been used since 2016, so when you said the "last time" they were used, do you mean 2005-2006? Haven't heard too many complaints about the recent WSOP cards that Copag made (except for 2017 as mentioned in the thread). I have a setup of 2016 Copags that I like quite a lot, not as much as the 2012 Fourniers...

Modiano must have received major complaints too, since they only lasted one year making cards for WSOP.

This thread covers 2005-2019. Looks like Copag's been used since 2016, so when you said the "last time" they were used, do you mean 2005-2006? Haven't heard too many complaints about the recent WSOP cards that Copag made (except for 2017 as mentioned in the thread). I have a setup of 2016 Copags that I like quite a lot, not as much as the 2012 Fourniers...

Modiano must have received major complaints too, since they only lasted one year making cards for WSOP.

I don’t know really, hence IIRC in my previous post. This was from my vague memory and also again IIRC Bicycle Prestige Fourniers have been used at the WSOP more recently?

Regardless, I have to agree with others in the thread saying that Copags are the bottom of the barrel when it comes to good plastic playing cards. I’ve owned lots of them in the past and they’re useable but I see no point in buying them with so many better options out there.

Edit: didn’t check that thread you linked yet

Just picked up a pack of these at a department store in Geneva and can agree. How have I not discovered these before? They’re 100% plastic but textured like a linen face on a Chipco chip. I’m in love.

View attachment 819507
Id love to find a set up like this what are these Poker Size or Bridge ? And they they standard or jumbo index ?

Id love to find a set up like this what are these Poker Size or Bridge ? And they they standard or jumbo index ?
Standard index, poker size. Definitely try and get your hands on some, they’re awesome. I’m in Paris right now gonna try and find me some Fournier cards next.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom