Are chip labels copyrighted? (1 Viewer)

Joedy

Waiting List
Reaction score
I have a set of Royale chips. Plastic and slugged. I didn’t like the chip color of one of the denominations, so I swapped the stickers out with the chips from a denomination that I don’t play with.

One denomination pulled off easily, but the other one didn’t come off as well. (I just exchanged stickers from one chip denom with another.)

If I create a design similar to the damaged stickers and have them printed, are there any copyright concerns for home use?

My inclination is to consider this a Fair Use issue, but I’m curious to know if this issue has come up before?

I have a set of Royale chips. Plastic and slugged. I didn’t like the chip color of one of the denominations, so I swapped the stickers out with the chips from a denomination that I don’t play with.

One denomination pulled off easily, but the other one didn’t come off as well. (I just exchanged stickers from one chip denom with another.)

If I create a design similar to the damaged stickers and have them printed, are there any copyright concerns for home use?

My inclination is to consider this a Fair Use issue, but I’m curious to know if this issue has come up before?

There may be some copyright concerns. I'd reach out to our very own label-guru, @Gear.

I'm sure he's run into this before, and maybe he can chime in.

....If I create a design similar to the damaged stickers and have them printed, are there any copyright concerns for home use?

It has been discussed before.

US only: Yes, the copyright is still valid, and it would not be fair use, but for home use, no one cares.

And the fact of the matter is that unless the copyright was formally registered with the Copyright Office of the Library of Congress, the damages for which you might be liable are limited to the actual loss incurred by the the copyright holder. In this case, that would be zero.

I've seen people with Horseshoe-lookalike professional relabels... I doubt those are free of copyright either. Yet the labels have been made. So there's that.

Unless you're doing something libelous with said copyright image, or trying to pass them off as "real" ones by selling them, then nobody will know, and if they do know, won't care. Label away!

As long you're not profiting a lot or tarnishing their name/image, they probably wouldn't care.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom