AQo in the BB - multiple interesting decision points (1 Viewer)

MrCatPants

Full House
Reaction score
This is a hand that had the table talking for quite some time afterwards. Thought I'd post it here to get everyone's take on each point of action.

1/3 NLHE
Hero sat down at a table in a local card room and has been playing for about 30 minutes - mostly folding preflop. Only hand he has shown down was a monster - 88 on an 877 flop which hero took a bet, check, jam line to get stacks in. Probably TAG image, but it's early. A couple of the regs at the table seem to know each other. Table has been super limpy. 3 bets are rare. Opens of $15 or $20 still tend to see flops 3-5 ways.

Hero is in the BB with a $450 stack - this is a Texas card room so hero is covered by everyone at the table basically, except one shorty who is not relevant to the hand.

Very talky older gentleman on the button puts on the button straddle to $6.

SB folds

Hero looks down at :ah: :qd: - action on hero.

Raise!

If $15-$20 opens are still seeing flops with 3-5 people, I would make it $40-$45. You’re in the worst position, and AQo is a marginal hand in the blinds. You also want to make it expensive enough for the larger stacks in better positions with hands like mid or small pocket pairs to fold against the smallest.

Hmm…

3ABE74BC-E836-4E29-8102-3DABC8247AD8.jpeg

In a super loose game out of position the whole way I look to limp raise this hand. Raising really big might take down the $10 in blinds/straddle, but also risks a lot when raised or called.

These TX games seem to be very loose aggressive that someone is likely to raise then Hero can put in a real bet, potentially getting stack committed. Worst case it limps around and Hero has a very under repped hand if he flops top pair.

Good thoughts so far - going to move forward as I think really the sizing here is the only relevant question.

Hero is in the BB with a $450 stack - this is a Texas card room so hero is covered by everyone at the table basically, except one shorty who is not relevant to the hand.

SB folds

Hero looks down at :ah: :qd: and RAISES to $25.
Folds to straddle who CALLS.

Pot is $51.

Flop comes :qs::ts::7c:

Action on hero.

Bet $35.

So what's your read on the button? What's his body language like? So far this is all pretty standard.
Older talky guy is about all I have. He's seemed distracted on most hands, the small pot I saw him win, he claims 'I never bluff", etc. I don't know what to call this 'type' but I've played with players like him before. Tend to be a little erratic, any two cards that aren't horrible in position type of players.

Older talky guy is about all I have. He's seemed distracted on most hands, the small pot I saw him win, he claims 'I never bluff", etc. I don't know what to call this 'type' but I've played with players like him before. Tend to be a little erratic, any two cards that aren't horrible in position type of players.
So a loose passive type of player? If he raises your flop bet you're probably beat.

So a loose passive type of player? If he raises your flop bet you're probably beat.
He didn't raise pre, so are we putting villain on 77 or QT exactly if we get raised on the flop? I suppose if we had a better read and we know flop raises are 2pair-plus then maybe we could.

I'm betting $30-$40 on this flop. I do agree with sizing this up not only because of the board texture but from lack of position too. Though with the :Qs: and :Ts: already on board, it does limit villain's spade combos. Still a lot of gutshot+one over combos could call for a smaller price and we will be in no-man's land if another broadway card hits. I am going to bet what it takes to try and win here. Otherwise we are really hoping for a "clean runout" more than we are hoping to improve, except for another Q.

That said, "strategy" threads with AQ never end well. :p.

Flop. I see either a check or bet line. If we bet and get raised it's going to be really annoying if villain balances even some with draws, so playing defensively to keep the pot small makes some sense.

But betting would be perfectly fine too given the draw heavy nature of the board. This is TX, and you can easily get value from all sorts of stuff.

SB folds

Hero BETS $25. Villain calls.

Pot is $101.

Turn comes :qs::ts::7c::3c:

Action on hero.

SB folds

Pot is $101.

Action on hero.
Size up to $75-100. Going for three streets at this point if river cooperates.

Sizing up is fine, but I think ~$60 will make a third barrel when a draw hits easier to go for. If you size up to a pot sized bet here I think your hand becomes more transparent and you could face a large raise/bet on the river if a draw hits. Being OOP sucks, but I think in this situation I'd rather be ready to barrel on the river and continue the story of a strong hand.

Hero bets a little smaller - and I don't have a great reason as to why. Was worried about driving out 10x hands I guess.

SB folds

Hero BETS $50. Villain calls.

Pot is $201.

River comes :qs::ts::7c::3c::2h:: - so bricks out every potential draw.

Action on hero.

Hero bets a little smaller - and I don't have a great reason as to why. Was worried about driving out 10x hands I guess.

SB folds

Hero BETS $50. Villain calls.

Pot is $201.

River comes :qs::ts::7c::3c::2h:: - so bricks out every potential draw.

Action on hero.
I feel like this is a classic "way ahead...or way behind scenario." He's either missed his draw(s) and wont call anything, or he's been slow playing a strong hand like trips. I'd check here hoping to induce a bluff, unless I had a solid read and thought he might call a modest bet with a pair of 10s or a weaker Queen.

Zero discussion of what Button's range is. I think that is in order. We've bet/raised three times OOP now, and button has called every last one. I'm having trouble giving button a hand that he would just call with again.

Zero discussion of what Button's range is. I think that is in order. We've bet/raised three times OOP now, and button has called every last one. I'm having trouble giving button a hand that he would just call with again.
I think this is a very valid question. What hands behave this way? Particularly as we get into the final street here.

I think this is a very valid question. What hands behave this way? Particularly as we get into the final street here.
In order of likelihood:

1. Missed draw: A lot of straight and flush possibilities on the flop and the turn added a potential club flush draw
2. A pair: Maybe has a weaker queen or a pair of tens
3. Garbage two pair: He played pretty much any two cards from his button straddle and didn't want to let you bully him with a raise on his straddle. He then stumbled into two pair.
4. Trips: Maybe he had pocket 10s or 7s.

Him just calling down all the way makes me he think we chasing a draw. He might have a pair that made him more willing to chase his draws.

If you check, are you calling a pot-sized bet? If you bet, are you calling a raise?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom