Apple Watch 5 (1 Viewer)

FDLmold

Royal Flush
Reaction score
Had a POS Android phone and a fitbit of questionable quality...

Now I have an iPhone 11 pro max, best phone upgrade ever, like yeah

Thinking of also upgrading to an Apple Watch 5 now.

Advice? Good accessories? Pitfalls to avoid? Thanks in advance peeps. Always get good advice around here.

I’m probably in the minority but I don’t find a lot of use for Apple watches and the like. I owned one for about 6 months and sold it. My iphone is with me most of the time since I have a desk job, and all I really used the Apple Watch for was to receive messages or use it for Apple Pay. Anyway I did purchase the 5 for my sister who is a nurse. Since she’s always on her feet, she gets a lot of use out of it.

I repaired iPhones as a side gig and still do some on occasion for friends, family, and anybody that reaches out. Don't break the screen on that iphone 11, protect it! The screen is OLED and replacement parts cost around $160. I'm guessing a repair shop charges $300+ to repair it :bigbucks::bigbucks::bigbucks:

Also, back to the subject of the post, my fiance loves her Apple Watch. I dont think up paying for the upgraded versions with phone service makes sense... unless there is a specific use case. She would never use it for that. She likes to use it for checking messages quickly, tracking activity, and it has a cool feature of bumping the wrist when Maps shows an upcoming turn while driving. She drives a vehicle without Navigation, so finds this useful on long trips.

Also, tons of cool 3D printed racks for charging the watch and phones on Thingiverse. Holler at me if you want something printed!

https://www.thingiverse.com/search?q=apple+watch&dwh=575e5b0dd8d6d76

I made the following stand for my fiance and it turned out great...
5cb9ea724b6bc245862870af482d88aa_preview_featured.JPGd1e51a39f62c373e450422b5c58198ed_preview_featured.JPG

I love my Apple Watch 5. Is it worth the money, maybe not. But once I got used to it, it’s definitely part of my everyday carry.
What I like most is:
1) I can have my phone on silent and not miss a call or text
2) I don’t have to pull my phone out
3) change songs/volume easily - great for workouts
4) works well with AirPods (worth the money, I have the older ones)
5) have many useful screens to have favorite apps on the face; timer on top left corner, bottom right phone, audio record, and text
image.jpg

Also, back to the subject of the post, my fiance loves her Apple Watch. I dont think up paying for the upgraded versions with phone service makes sense... unless there is a specific use case. She would never use it for that. She likes to use it for checking messages quickly, tracking activity, and it has a cool feature of bumping the wrist when Maps shows an upcoming turn while driving. She drives a vehicle without Navigation, so finds this useful on long trips.

Also, tons of cool 3D printed racks for charging the watch and phones on Thingiverse. Holler at me if you want something printed!

https://www.thingiverse.com/search?q=apple+watch&dwh=575e5b0dd8d6d76

I made the following stand for my fiance and it turned out great...
View attachment 415730View attachment 415731

that one is cool. Can you give the link to the stl file

I am an Android guy, so I am not fully fluent on all things Apple... but have some general comments about smart watches.

I think about smart watches as more of a controller of your smart phone. You pair the watch to the phone and then are able to control actions on the phones, using the watch. While I believe some of the features will work independently of your phone (GPS, activity tracking, heart rate, etc...), I think some of the items are dependent on the phone. For instance, if you buy the GPS watch and not the GPS + Cellular and you leave the phone at home and drive off... I do not believe you would receive your text messages. As far as storing Spotify songs locally on the watch, I dont know if that is possible, but I can tell that the watch has 32GB, which seems like plenty to store multiple full playlists of 50-60 songs each without problem. Hopefully this helps!

Very helpful so far everybody. A trip to a board game convention in Boston in May has come up, so this purchase will probably have to wait. Depends on how much I can squeeze out of my GI Joe and MOTU I have sitting around.

I'm in the Garmin Fenix 5 camp. If not I'd be looking at Samsung over apple. Just not a fan of apple stuff. The Fenix does everything a need a smart watch to do (essentially show me notifications without having to pull out the phone) along with being my bicycle computer, gps running tracker, rowing tracker and everything else you need for workout /training tracking & metrics. The battery life is much longer too which is a big deal for me. It integrates my bicycle hubs speed sensor and the cadence sensor on the pedal for really good cycling metrics & consolidates all the data in the app. This was the deciding point for me over a traditional smart watch, my old bike computer was great but the data didnt go anywhere. It was just on the bike computer.

My wife has th3 garmin vivoactiv 2 and the 3-Music & loves them both. The garmin Vivoactiv 3-Music will do alot of what the Fenix 5 does and holds music itself as well, allowing you to workout with music without your phone. I think the Fenix 6 does but Im not motivated to look it up and see.

Pictures are of my 5X.

Attachments

• 15830523628514657870587382325463.jpg
    15830523628514657870587382325463.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 63
  • 15830523978836638853563601519817.jpg
    15830523978836638853563601519817.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 64
  • 15830524429092550420477523186404.jpg
    15830524429092550420477523186404.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 74
I had an apple watch I got free from our healthcare provider at work as part of a promotion and for a very long time I didn't use it much or really see what was so great about it.

Then I started using it for tracking swimming laps and other workouts and now I love it. I upgraded to a 4 a while back and in hindsight should have opted for the always connected cellular. When I swim laps it shows distance and heart rate and all that kind of stuff but it also can tell what strokes I'm swimming and other things. I think its really pretty amazing. It keeps me active and moving everyday and I think that has made a real difference in my daily life.

For charging, I took my son's first ever hockey stick and some scrap I had in the workshop (read: my garage) and came up with something as I built it to use as a charging station and bedside tray. I made a video of the process:

The winner was a Garmin Vivoactive 4. Will be here today. Does everything I will want it to do, plus a little extra, awesome battery life and reviews, and $300 on Amazon.

I’m probably in the minority but I don’t find a lot of use for Apple watches and the like. I owned one for about 6 months and sold it. My iphone is with me most of the time since I have a desk job, and all I really used the Apple Watch for was to receive messages or use it for Apple Pay. Anyway I did purchase the 5 for my sister who is a nurse. Since she’s always on her feet, she gets a lot of use out of it.

This....sold mine too, short after that my Iphone went to the wife and I bought a mate pro 30.
I don't miss my Iphone at all and apple is over it's peak in bringing new & unique products

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom