Apache Rack Review (2 Viewers)

JoeyMack

Flush
Reaction score
I received my order of Apache racks today. I know there are people waiting on reviews before they order so here’s my take on them. They are equal to Matsui racks in every way, shape, or form. And they actually exceed Matsui racks with the additional rails that keep chips from rolling (39mm chips still move a little, but MUCH less, 43mm do not move at all) and the rails also seem to help make the Apaches just a bit more sturdy. They are such a good copy that Matsui tops will actually fit on the Apache bottoms, and vice a versa. The only negative is that the knobs and the holes on the Apache racks do not match the Matsuis so they are not interchangeable for stacking purposes. This is kind of a bummer, especially for people who already have a lot of Matsui racks. People with a lot of Matsui racks will have to think twice about switching over. Being that I have a minimal amount it will not affect me as much.

My final thoughts…Apaches over Matsuis. And at the current sale price these racks really are a no brainer. My follow up order for 40 more racks will be submitted immediately. And now for the prOn! (T25 Matsui & T100 Apache)

IMG_1568.JPG

If it wasn't for the change in logo I would have thought they were Matsuis

IMG_1565.JPG

Note how there is a lot more spacing in the T25s as opposed to the T100s

IMG_1567.JPG

Again...duplicates

IMG_1569.JPG

Second holes & knobs just a little off

IMG_1571.JPG

End holes and knobs off by a lot

With the nubs being off, what happens when you put the racks on top of each other? Can they be "locked in" with a little maneuvering?

So of course the Apache racks will stack on top of other Apache racks, they just will not stack on top of Matsui racks (and vise a versa). There is no amount of maneuvering you can do to get them to work. The holes are just too far off. Which was odd to me being that otherwise they are practically duplicates. Lining up the knobs and holes should have been pretty easy.

Yeah...I agree. It is pretty much an exact duplicate in every other way. Why not just line up the damn holes?

I don't think that existing matsui racks would preclude you from buying these still. Unless you have 5 matsui's and need to add 5 more, but that's not a normal use case.

I'll just have to have matsui birdcages and Apache birdcages.

Is the durability about the same or better than the matsui racks? Also, what do you think about the 39mm rails?

They are equal to Matsui racks in every way, shape, or form. And they actually exceed Matsui racks with the additional rails that keep chips from rolling (39mm chips still move a little, but MUCH less, 43mm do not move at all) and the rails also seem to help make the Apaches just a bit more sturdy.

I don't think that existing matsui racks would preclude you from buying these still. Unless you have 5 matsui's and need to add 5 more, but that's not a normal use case.

I'll just have to have matsui birdcages and Apache birdcages.
I think that depends. If I had 40 Matsui racks and I needed 10 more...why would I buy Apaches? The difference between the Apache sale price and the Matsui regular price is only $2 a rack. I’ll pay the extra $20 to get racks that match. And when they’re no longer on sale, the difference will be even less.

But my current situation is different. I only have 8 Matsuis and I’m looking to buy 50 racks. With the price difference (not to mention the higher sturdiness factor) for me It’s a no brainer. Yes, I could always use my Matsuis in a birdcage, but if you ever want to take those chips out you would have to swap racks. Not only would that be more trouble than it’s worth, it would kill my OCD!

Thanks for sharing @JoeyMack . do you have any front-facing photos to show the differences? are you able to do a video to show the difference in the movement of 39mm between the Matsui and apache? Go any pics of your 43mm in both?

@JoeyMack -- can you please measure the footprint on the Apache racks? (width x length)

I'm looking to compare the size needed in my plucked-foam carriers (which are already plucked for 39mm Chipco/PGI racks). Thanks!

I think that depends. If I had 40 Matsui racks and I needed 10 more...why would I buy Apaches? The difference between the Apache sale price and the Matsui regular price is only $2 a rack. I’ll pay the extra $20 to get racks that match. And when they’re no longer on sale, the difference will be even less.

But my current situation is different. I only have 8 Matsuis and I’m looking to buy 50 racks. With the price difference (not to mention the higher sturdiness factor) for me It’s a no brainer. Yes, I could always use my Matsuis in a birdcage, but if you ever want to take those chips out you would have to swap racks. Not only would that be more trouble than it’s worth, it would kill my OCD!
A big part of it is accessibility though. I'm in desperate need of racks right now and waiting three to four months to get them is not cool. Don't get me wrong, I love the fact that we run group buys here. In fact I'm still probably going to get like 20 in the new group by that's trying to spin up now. But at the end of the day when a metal bear needs racks a metal bear needs racks.

I'm pretty OCD myself, and I think that having bird cages that are either 100% matsui or 100% Apache is fine.

I rec'd mine yesterday (Thursday) and I am very pleased with them. I grabbed 12 for my Royals 43m tourney set. I don't have Matsui racks so I can't compare the two but these seem great.

I'm curious if this was an oversight, a production mistake, or done on purpose for legal reasons. Who's got the nuts to ask Apache?

I'm curious if this was an oversight, a production mistake, or done on purpose for legal reasons. Who's got the nuts to ask Apache?
When you steal someones proprietary information and make duplicates for sale it’s usually wise to change up something so they can’t sue you for making exact copies without their permission. Pretty sure most Chinese manufacturers are on top of where the line is and how much change may be rated significant enough to avoid being sued successfully.
“added reinforcement”
“Redesigned alignment holes and spacing”
“Extended contact strips for securing”

here’s a pretty radical idea- line your Matsuis and counterfeits up, and drill new alignment holes for the pegs

When you steal someones proprietary information and make duplicates for sale it’s usually wise to change up something so they can’t sue you for making exact copies without their permission. Pretty sure most Chinese manufacturers are on top of where the line is and how much change may be rated significant enough to avoid being sued successfully.
“added reinforcement”

here’s a pretty radical idea- line your Matsuis and counterfeits up, and drill new alignment holes for the pegs
yep, that's exactly why I was thinking that it might have been done on purpose. I also thought about drilling my own holes. I've got 50 coming so maybe it doesn't matter if I screw one up.

These were not meant to be an exact copy. I didn't even think about telling them to make sure the holes matched up.
I'm actually pretty happy with that response. It would have sucked if you wanted the holes to line up and because you didn't have a matsui rack in hand to test, you didn't know that they made a mistake.

I'm actually pretty happy with that response. It would have sucked if you wanted the holes to line up and because you didn't have a matsui rack in hand to test, you didn't know that they made a mistake.

he sent them a Matsui rack to copy. So they had one to test at least. Fucking thieves, you can’t get good ones anymore that care about their work.

he sent them a Matsui rack to copy. So they had one to test at least. Fucking thieves, you can’t get good ones anymore that care about their work.
As long as they interlock with each other, I'm good with them not working with the matsui's

“added reinforcement”

What makes Matsui racks proprietary? They're just plastic boxes that were originally inspired by B&Gs octagon racks anyway. And you don't seem to be upset every time a Chinese manufacturer copies those, which ABC did just about a month ago, and has happened multiple times before. Christ.

What makes Matsui racks proprietary? They're just plastic boxes that were originally inspired by B&Gs octagon racks anyway. And you don't seem to be upset every time a Chinese manufacturer copies those, which ABC did just about a month ago, and has happened multiple times before. Christ.
I get it man, all you got to do is find somebody else who stole and then you are ok to steal. It’s how the world works man. Feel good about yourself, it’s all about how you justify it anyway, not what’s legal or right.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom