Anyone tried Aussie snacks? (Non-aussies) (1 Viewer)

xdan

Flush
Reaction score
Curious to see how many people from overseas have tried Aussie native snacks

-Tim tams (choc biscuits)
- vegemite (spread)
- bbq shapes (bite size biscuits)
- crunchie (chocolate bar)
- Anzac cookies
- burger rings (chips)

I know it’s random..

I know the treats Ive tried when in the USA.
- twinkies .. OMG!!!!
- cheetos flamin hot

and coke in USA tastes rubbish compared to our coke!

As long as they get to try the Vegemite as God intended - spread lightly on buttered, fresh white toast. Rather than in a big glob on a spoon. Haha.

As long as they get to try the Vegemite as God intended - spread lightly on buttered, fresh white toast. Rather than in a big glob on a spoon. Haha.
Vegemite is horrid. Sorry mate.
same goes for beer and coffee.

My sweet tooth guides to me strawberry freddo frogs.
thats one I forgot on the list

Vegemite is just marmite in disguise and it's horrible although I do use it in cooking. Crunchies are global as far as I know if its the same bar. Was one of my mum's favourites. Not tried any of the other stuff. Living in England (from Northern Ireland), things I miss from home are
Potato bread can get it here in some of the supermarkets but it's not as good.
Tayto crisps cheese and onion flavour, best crisps ever.
Veda loaf, really miss this and as far as I'm aware it's not available anywhere apart from back home.
If I ever get around to a trip to Australia I will take your list with me and work my way through the rest!

Vegemite is just marmite in disguise and it's horrible although I do use it in cooking. Crunchies are global as far as I know if its the same bar. Was one of my mum's favourites. Not tried any of the other stuff. Living in England (from Northern Ireland), things I miss from home are
Potato bread can get it here in some of the supermarkets but it's not as good.
Tayto crisps cheese and onion flavour, best crisps ever.
Veda loaf, really miss this and as far as I'm aware it's not available anywhere apart from back home.
If I ever get around to a trip to Australia I will take your list with me and work my way through the rest!
This is a good start
F93E94C1-100D-412D-B9ED-CFD28CB786D6.jpeg

Haven't seen a Smith's crisps packet in years, thought they didn't exist anymore, looks like they are in Australia though. And wagon wheel original comes on a red packet, what is this madness!

- vegemite (spread)
- Anzac cookies
- burger rings (chips)

I know it’s random..

- twinkies .. OMG!!!!
- cheetos flamin hot

Love TimTams and Mint Slice! Crunchies and Anzac biscuits are great too. Vegemite in small doses on buttered toast is ok. Really love pies and sausage rolls too.

Love TimTams and Mint Slice! Crunchies and Anzac biscuits are great too. Vegemite in small doses on buttered toast is ok. Really love pies and sausage rolls too.
Meat pies and sausage rolls… oh yes.

you ever had fish n chips? like proper Aussie style fish n chips?

you’re absolutely right. I’m not sure about coke in Australia, but coke in America is sweetened with high fructose corn syrup. It has a medicinal taste to it. But we also have “Mexican coke” you can buy in bottles in Costco. It has real sugar and taste 10x better

- vegemite (spread)
- Anzac cookies
- burger rings (chips)

I know it’s random..

- twinkies .. OMG!!!!
- cheetos flamin hot

Not sure if you're familiar with the Coke change process in America. In America, corn is much more abundant and much less expensive than cane sugar. Once high fructose corn syrup was developed in the 70s, food manufacturers started looking for ways to use it as a sucrose replacement in their products.

In the mid 80s, Pepsi ran a huge marketing campaign called the Pepsi Challenge that allegedly showed that consumers preferred the taste of Pepsi over Coke when they didn't know which beverage they were drinking.

Coke responded by developing a new product called New Coke that was sweeter and relied on HFCS. Since regional bottlers had some input on how they made their Coke, some had used sugar and some had started the switch to HFCS. But New Coke was basically HFCS everywhere. Test audiences liked New Coke, but when it went live most people either hated it or preferred the old formula to the point that people were hoarding it and flipping it for large markups like it was poker chips.

Less than 3 months later the old formula was brought back as Classic Coke. But now almost every bottler switched to HFCS and it essentially the exclusive sweetener in normal calorie Coke everywhere. Since corn isn't as cheap in other countries due to limited farm land and a lack of government subsidies, sugar is still the sweetener of choice there.

Not sure if you're familiar with the Coke change process in America. In America, corn is much more abundant and much less expensive than cane sugar. Once high fructose corn syrup was developed in the 70s, food manufacturers started looking for ways to use it as a sucrose replacement in their products.

In the mid 80s, Pepsi ran a huge marketing campaign called the Pepsi Challenge that allegedly showed that consumers preferred the taste of Pepsi over Coke when they didn't know which beverage they were drinking.

Coke responded by developing a new product called New Coke that was sweeter and relied on HFCS. Since regional bottlers had some input on how they made their Coke, some had used sugar and some had started the switch to HFCS. But New Coke was basically HFCS everywhere. Test audiences liked New Coke, but when it went live most people either hated it or preferred the old formula to the point that people were hoarding it and flipping it for large markups like it was poker chips.

Less than 3 months later the old formula was brought back as Classic Coke. But now almost every bottler switched to HFCS and it essentially the exclusive sweetener in normal calorie Coke everywhere. Since corn isn't as cheap in other countries due to limited farm land and a lack of government subsidies, sugar is still the sweetener of choice there.

yes i remember new coke and it was no bueno

Very informative. Makes sense

coke at McDonalds wasn’t too bad.
I stuck to Mountain Dew when I was over there. Was a safe bet

Pepsi is no good no matter what country you’re in.

Bingo. The HFCS version is vastly inferior. Here in the NY area, years ago local bottlers would make a version available for Passover with cane sugar. If you saw Hebrew letters on the top of the can, you were good to go.
It was only available for a limited time each year, but you got a taste of what Coke was SUPPOSED to be....

My kiddo is an Australian citizen. She would just toss a glob of Vegemite on a spoon and suck on it for 10 minutes.

Disgusting.

Last edited:
Tim Tam hack.. keep them fridge. Then bite diagonal corners and use it as a straw to suck milk through. Then eat the tim tam. Soooo good

Bingo. The HFCS version is vastly inferior. Here in the NY area, years ago local bottlers would make a version available for Passover with cane sugar. If you saw Hebrew letters on the top of the can, you were good to go.
It was only available for a limited time each year, but you got a taste of what Coke was SUPPOSED to be....

you can buy 24 glass bottle pack from Costco. They’re called Mexican cokes. They have cane sugar

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom