Anyone know about BMX Bikes? (1 Viewer)

joeyshin

Straight Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone know much about BMX bikes. I’m trying to buy a new bike for my son but don’t know anything about bikes. I am looking for a good quality and lightweight bike <$300 used.

It’s be easier if I could buy samples.

offer some recs Or sell me yours. Maybe trade in chips haha

BMX is @Perthmike’s middle name.
s780_image.jpg

@Perthmike's current ride

I was twice a bmxer in my life, as a kid 1978-1982 and an adult 2000-2004. I was more a racer than a freestyler, but I was marginal at best.
If you are going 20 inch you could buy a decent complete bike from danscomp.com for around $300 I imagine. I have 20 and 24 inch DK’s that I bought there around 2002 and they are still decent. It would most likely be made in China but still a good bike. An American made bike like S and M or Standard would probably run over $1K. Craigslist can be good but you can also end up with abused junk. I still ride some but just for exercise and fun. I’ve been wanting a 26 inch Fireman’s Texas Cruiser for some time but they are $1,600 complete.

That's actually super cool haha
Haha, I am a fan as well.

Sorry @joeyshin I'm out if the BMX game as well, I used to ride Haro and Schwinn, I also had a specialized a few years back. All were nice, not sure if Schwinn still makes a decent bike or not.

I was looking at a DK I saw on the marketplace. It’s a 2018 DK junior. It’s for sale for a$300. Looks pretty well taken care of.

A couple years ago I discovered that even as an adult, riding a BMX is fun as hell. I got an old abused Schwinn off craigslist for about $40 and fixed the brakes. I wanted something simple to ride around the neighborhood with my kids easier than getting on my hybrid commute bike. It's a total blast getting on this little bike with 20" tires and standing up pumping the pedals, not thinking about shifting. I just rode it to the park the other day to shoot some hoops while they rode their new scooters.

Anyone know much about BMX bikes. I’m trying to buy a new bike for my son but don’t know anything about bikes. I am looking for a good quality and lightweight bike <$300 used.

It’s be easier if I could buy samples.

offer some recs Or sell me yours. Maybe trade in chips haha
I was a hardcore BMX racer, but unfortunately won't be any help. I owned Diamondbacks, a Kuwahara, and raced for Gary Turner (GT) at the end. My pedal of choice were always Bear Traps....which were around $300 by themselves in the 80s (way cheaper now that they are out of date).:bigbucks:

My recommendation would be to pay up for a frame, and go low end accessories (rims, hubs, pedals, handle bars, etc.). As he grows older and wants a bit more bike, you can simply replace the accessories as long as you have a good frame.

Good luck!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom