Anyone host games in an apartment? (1 Viewer)

catalyzeme

3 of a Kind
Reaction score
If so, what's your setup?

I haven't committed to a dedicated poker table so my setup is a little sad. Anyone got a good folding setup or some other creative ideas?

I have a custom table with a two part cover.

full

full

full

Table is 8max due to size restrictions. I considered other shapes as well, but oval fit my apartment best. If going this route it's important to be aware of the final height of not just the poker table, but with the cover as well, so the regular table doesn't end up uncomfortably high. The builder was supposed to attach the covers to the table so they won't move, but he ended up ignoring that aspect after getting my money, so they're not entirely stable.

I don't have the space for a permanent table. Not even a table that can be dressed up with a dining topper. So everything needs to be disassembled and stored between games. I also have never found a fold-up poker table that didn't feel cheap. With that in mind, I present the first of my 3 tables, which is a topper for the dining table.

I built this before I discovered the help available in these forums. They were posted back on CT, so I apologise to those that have to view them twice :oops:. Because I was going virtually advice free, you will find a lot of unique solutions below.
First, I started with 1/2 of a pingpong table that someone abandoned. I cut off the corners to make it into an octagon. I then covered the surface with moleskin. I didn't know about speedcloth and such back then, but moleskin is durable, has a fair card glide, and the "fur" on the backside provides a firm cushioned surface. You may ask how I discovered moleskin, but it's a bit of a long and humorous story, that resulted in me being banned from Hancock Fabrics.

img_0075-jpg.75659

A closer look at the moleskin. The play surface side has a suede-like feel.
img_0076-jpg.75660

The cloth is attached with binder clips, available for a few bucks at any office supply store. Available even cheaper from work's office supply room. After attaching the cloth I just pinch and remove the loops
img_0078-jpg.75661

The dining table, circa 1970. You can get one just like it on Craigslist for $20. If you do, you probably overpaid by $15.
img_0079-jpg.75662

We take out the leaf and put in a couple of scrap boards. Because the table topper is a pressboard ping-pong table, I wanted as much support under the wood as possible.
img_0080-jpg.75663

Before we put the topper down, I lay a rug-gripper on top. This prevents the topper from sliding about. It also protects that fake wood laminate on the table.
img_0081-jpg.75664

Plop on top.
img_0082-jpg.75665

The rails are repurposed stair treads. At the time of the build, the only tool I has was a circular saw, and I really didn't know how to use that. Still don't really. It has a laser on it, but the laser wont cut shit, you have to use the saw. The stairs have one edge rounded off, so I didn't have to buy a router, and even though it's a wooden rail, it is not uncomfortable. It is designed to breakdown to 2 pieces for storage.
img_0083-jpg.75666

Stairs would make for a really wide rail, so...
img_0084-jpg.75667

A closer look at the rail, and my uneven cutting skills.
img_0085-jpg.75668

Dropping the rail on, and the table starts to look like a table.
img_0086-jpg.75669

At first I had drilled a couple of holes and had a wooden rod to line up the rail halfs. I later bought a biscuit joiner. This cuts slots that hold wooden wafers that hardly pass for biscuits in the south.
img_0087-jpg.75670

Underneath the table I have a hook and eye that holds the halves together. Just in case you were wondering about the dangling hook in the previous picture.
img_0088-jpg.75671

Slide-under cupholders. @Mrs Poker Zombie wrapped some of the spare moleskin around them for a finished look.
img_0089-jpg.75672

It measures 56" across, from flat edge to flat edge. A number of players have problems pulling pots, sweeping the muck, and so forth, but some players find it to be their favorite table because we're self-dealt, and the other 2 tables are oval-ish.
img_0090-jpg.75673

As my game grew, it would occasionally, but rarely, break the 8 player limit that my first table could sit. I initially would make a quick poker table by converting the dining room table, covering it with a thin blanket and a tablecloth. At the same time, Mrs Zombie needed a table to sew on. A good sewing table sits at counter height (36" vs 30" for a regular table).

So I built a transformer.
Excuse the old cell camera photos

Here we see the table in sewing mode. The cork inlay allows sewing patterns to be pinned to the surface, and eliminated the need for a pin cushion. The rail sits very low so long projects (like curtains or full length dresses) can slide through the machine without getting hung up anywhere.
2013-05-24-18-32-51-jpg.82317

This build occured when CompUSA was going out of buisness. When they say "everything must go" they mean it. That cart that contained bargain priced, obsolete computer games near the checkouts - I bought it, and used it for the base. It holds Mrs Zombie's fabric scraps, batting, and the like. Under the cork board is a removable trapdoor to get at it.
2013-05-24-18-32-18-jpg.82322

The top lifts off the crate (held in place by gravity and a snug-fitting frame). The wings fold in for "easy" carrying. I tried to make it lightweight by limiting plywood thickness where possible (non-support areas). It still weighs in at around 87 lbs if I recall, so easy and lightweight are relative terms.
2013-05-18-10-36-11-jpg.82323

The table legs just screw into the part that is already attached to the table. The wings are attached by piano hinges.
2013-05-18-10-39-09-jpg.82326

The center 4 legs are screwed onto the table
2013-05-18-10-41-26-jpg.82325

We then tip it upright.
2013-05-18-10-45-21-jpg.82327

Then insert the play surface. This is both the best and worst part of this table. It was made with a velveteen fabric over a layer of foam. It's wonderful to touch, but pitching cards considerably less so. Someday it will wear out, and I will replace it with a Chanman gaming suede, but with 8 events a year (and this table only hits the floor if I'm looking at a possible 3 table game) it may take a very long time to wear out.
2013-05-18-10-45-58-jpg.82328

Table completed.
2013-05-18-10-47-38-jpg.82329

When the wings are extended, a little more support is generated by a metal swing out support brace.
2013-05-18-10-49-00-jpg.82324

This table has obvious flaws. The low rail can allow chips to get away. There is no room for cupholders, so we have to use coasters. It's quite heavy for a portable table. It's usually covered in fabric and 1 or 2 sewing machines. On the other hand, it is so soft you just want to roll around naked on it. I can see why this fabric is used for dresses.

3rd and best table...

I can break down the details of this table if the video moves to fast to figure out what I did, but this is far more solid than most folding tables, and can fit in a limited sized area for storage like under a bed, or in my case, behind a toolbox (with the other 2 tables).

Last edited:
If you don't view your situation being a forever situation, and you're looking for a folding table to store, some people on this site turned me onto the Barrington table. Not the best table you'll ever play on by far, but a decent option at a CRAZY value. Folds up to probably 6 inches or so thick, so could hide under a reasonably heighted bed.

Walmart. Less than $130 shipped. Can't beat it.

table.jpg

Other option, if you've already got a dining table, is one of these. Like a giant poker mousepad. Doesn't have much give, so cards are not much easier to pick up, but does allow the cards to slide for dealing.

If you don't view your situation being a forever situation, and you're looking for a folding table to store, some people on this site turned me onto the Barrington table. Not the best table you'll ever play on by far, but a decent option at a CRAZY value. Folds up to probably 6 inches or so thick, so could hide under a reasonably heighted bed.

Walmart. Less than $130 shipped. Can't beat it.

View attachment 132484

Other option, if you've already got a dining table, is one of these. Like a giant poker mousepad. Doesn't have much give, so cards are not much easier to pick up, but does allow the cards to slide for dealing.

I actually picked one of these up yesterday when I saw on clearance. Should have it next week. Good second table too it seems.

Dining table covers are the best solution. Take the wood cover off when you play poker, then replace it when you're done. You only need to put away the cover for a few hours while you play poker. I find it's better than putting a poker table topper on top of a dining table because then you need to find somewhere to store the poker table until the next game.

My advice is to invest in a good dinning table, as in well built not as in fancy hardwood, that is expandable. So it goes from square or short rectangle to long rectangle. Then use a bolt of quality felt clipped on or one of those rubber back roll up felts. The table is have has table leaf extensions that pop out on the short ends so I don't even have to store them. You can always move some furniture around on poker night.

What's your impression of the Barrington?

Good for the price. First game on it will be Saturday. At this prIce range I recommend it.

Not a pro or con but heavier than I expected and has bigger footprint than I though. Not going to fit under my bed. The pro of this is the table is sturdier than I was expecting. But with the bulk of this I would have possible bought one that didn’t fold in half if I was going to have to put it in my garage anyway.

Pros

Very sturdy. No bowing in the middle. Seems like people will be able to have their arms up and lean on it with no issues.

Table doesn’t wobble

Padded playing surface.

Decent enough felt.

Cons

It’s pretty heavy and the style of folding legs they used are stupid. I’m 33 and 6’5 and can manage setting it up but an older or shorter person could have issues

A handle on the side to carry when folded would improve the table substantially

My 4 year old managed to rip a cup holder out within seconds of me setting it up the first time so I have to reglue it.

Rail is cheap feeling but comfy enough. Has a cheap plasticy smell (but it’s a really cheap table)

Like I said for $135 I am pleased but probably not worth too much more than that

3rd and best table...

I can break down the details of this table if the video moves to fast to figure out what I did, but this is far more solid than most folding tables, and can fit in a limited sized area for storage like under a bed, or in my case, behind a toolbox (with the other 2 tables).

And it comes with my completely, un-patented, poker table hoodie made of speedcloth. I love that the table cover rolls up on the fabric tube and is stored out of the way between events.

If you missed getting one of the Barrington tables they are on clearance, again. And cheaper than before. Under $100. Pretty pleased with mine. May buy another until I can get time to complete my own table.

2 piece (seperate pieces not hinge) custom made table top that slides and fits together in the middle so they can be moved around and assembled by a single person. The design worked well so far, it hasnt come apart during play and stores easily. I got really tired and annoyed with the mass produced tables and am finally satisfied with this.
78" length 42" width 5.5" rails.
I normally cap my games at 9max so far it seems with this size I can sit 8 with some extra room, 9 would probably still be pretty comfortable. (Asian sized males though :LOL: :laugh:)
20170721_202202.jpg

I hosted for many years out of an apartment. My main table was this.

http://www.pokersharktables.com/

Worked fine for small games, but does get a little crowded with 8 players. Also, was a bachelor, so I didn’t have a dining room table, just the poker table set up in the dining area. You would probably be better off, with one of the suggested dining room tables, that converts to a poker table. GL, and please lost pics of what you finally decide on!

Some really nice classy solutions here. The Barrington at Wal-Mart is down to $99 so I pulled the trigger on it. If it only lasts a few games, no harm done.

Would love to commit to a nicer table, even a small one, but not sure if I'm planning on moving sometime soon.

$99 Barrington arrived yesterday and I agree with everyone else, it's very nice for the price. Cup holders are shallow and having a seam in the middle is annoying even though it doesn't seem like it will impact game play. The rail is cheap but good enough. Pretty pleased! Not as nice as the custom stuff in this thread but if I get 5 games out of it and then trash it, probably already paid for itself.

I found this folding game table that I think would work really well

https://firmerterra.com/

469544B7-CA88-4F75-8D40-42730CDA904B.jpeg

The problem is, below is the same table for half the cost. Shipping is included for the Alpha table and the unbranded camping table is out of stock everywhere.

12374735-FE8B-40CC-912E-AD14240A372A.jpeg

The table legs just screw into the part that is already attached to the table. The wings are attached by piano hinges.
2013-05-18-10-39-09-jpg.82326

The center 4 legs are screwed onto the table
2013-05-18-10-41-26-jpg.82325
What are these legs called/Where do you find them? I am planning an octagon build and these would be perfect for a storable octagon!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom