Anyone Here Play PokerStars VR? (1 Viewer)

I get quite VR sick. But any games with teleport or sitting games like Poker won’t make you sick at all.

I’ve had a lot of different systems. I love the quests. I have the Q1 and a couple Q2’s. They’re great because of portability and ability to link with a gaming computer.

This was last night. My Boy and his cousin were playing dead and buried. View attachment 851298
That looks a lot like my playground wheno I was younger too. Just sticks and rocks, nothing else

Motion sickness for me only comes when movement displayed to your eyes isn't 1:1 with what your body is actually doing. I believe it has something to do with the disconnect between the motion your eyes are telling your brain that your body is doing versus the motion your body is telling your brain that your body is doing. Games when your character is moving faster than your body actually is are rough and gives me a motion sickness that lasts hours. Games like pokerstars never do though and I can marathon sessions when the games are fun and interesting with the only fatigue coming from the weight of the headset.

Motion sickness for me only comes when movement displayed to your eyes isn't 1:1 with what your body is actually doing. I believe it has something to do with the disconnect between the motion your eyes are telling your brain that your body is doing versus the motion your body is telling your brain that your body is doing. Games when your character is moving faster than your body actually is are rough and gives me a motion sickness that lasts hours. Games like pokerstars never do though and I can marathon sessions when the games are fun and interesting with the only fatigue coming from the weight of the headset.
That's exactly what it is. it's why locomotion makes some people really sick, but teleport doesn't.

That's exactly what it is. it's why locomotion makes some people really sick, but teleport doesn't.

I remember feeling dizzy when I first started using my Quest unit. Once you calibrate your eye dimensions, and have used the unit several times the dizziness wears off. Kind of like aclimatising to a boat. Of note though Quest 1 has more precise adjustments than Quest 2's. If you cannot adjust to a acceptable setting on a Quest 2 then the Rift may be the better option for you, but you lose mobility. Precisely adjusting your eye settings will help with both motion issues and eye strain in general.

Now I love it, full motion or nothing.... The only bad part of the VR poker game is the teleport motion in the main lobby.

What's the nuts for VR headsets now-a-days? I'll have to do some research. Watched a video on YouTube, it does look pretty cool! I prefer tournaments for the moment...hopefully those will be gaining more support on that platform.
Quest 2 is the best overall value when compared to it's usability, portability, And resolution/frame rate.

I recently got one. The stuff that is native for it isn't going to beat stuff designed for PCVR since it runs on a mobile processor and Android. BUT.... the great thing about the Quest 2 is you have 3 ways to play PCVR as well. It has native airplay over WiFi, you can connect direct with USB-c, or you can get Virtual Desktop and run PCVR that way.

I've noticed very little latency using Virtual Desktop. I don't think I'd want to play something like Beat Saber, or any other game with super critical timing, but every then I've heard it still works pretty well.

There are definitely better headsets coming out down the line, but the value proposition in the Quest 2 is just absurd. Not to derail this from PStars VR, but my fav game on the Oculus this far has been Walkabout Mini Golf. It truly feels realistic even though the graphics are obviously not lifelike.

What would be the advantage of playing PCVR over Virtual Desktop?
There are slight differences between every way you can play PCVR through the quest. Some people find latency and smoothness better with one over the others. The nice thing about the Virtual Desktop app is that it has built in SteamVR launching. You can just bring up the Virtual Desktop menu and launch your PCVR games through it quickly. Plus it's just nice to have a way to use your computer through the headset. Was totally worth the $20.

Last edited:
Yep, totally worth it, was just wondering if I was missing something re: PCVR, thanks.

Have yet to play it, actually. Am assuming it won't work in Washington State . . . :mad: . . . but will give it a try.

What's the nuts for VR headsets now-a-days?

The Quest 2, BUT with a couple of caveats.

The comfort and portability and convenience of the Quest 2 can't be beat. It's wireless and self-contained, so you don't need to deal with a cable connecting you to a console or a computer. It is essentially a console all on its own; you download games directly to the headset and they're stored there, run from there, and display on there. It's super-friendly, super-easy, super-convenient and super-fun!

BUT

Its graphics engine is not as powerful as the cards you'd find in a high-end gaming PC or even the Playstation, which means that games ported to the Quest have to make some visual compromises in order to run. IMHO the graphics quality is still excellent, but if you were to compare them side-by-side with the PC version you'd be able to tell the difference.

BUT

Even worse is that some games developed for PC simply aren't available at all for the Quest! Some of the games I most wanted to play aren't available. But these were strategy games, which is a pretty small niche, so the developers just didn't have the budget to port and downscale the games from PC to Quest. Most of the really popular games will be available for the Quest, but if there's something in particular that you have your heart set on you should check to see if it's supported natively on the Quest before you commit.

BUT

Even for games that are PC only, you can still use your Quest! It has technology called "AirLink" which lets you run a VR game on your PC but display it via WiFi on your Quest! So suddenly those high-end games with high-end graphics are available to you once again, still on your Quest, still wirelessly!

... but I can't vouch for how well this works myself, because my gaming rig is still running Win7 and AirLink isn't supported on an OS that old. :(

Good luck, have fun, hope this helped.

... but I can't vouch for how well this works myself, because my gaming rig is still running Win7 and AirLink isn't supported on an OS that old. :(
As I noted above, it works very well. Over Virtual Desktop which works wirelessly like AirLink, I don't really notice any latency. I've played a few of the free Valve games like The Lab, and it's great on my 2 year old i5, 16gb, 1660ti.

I have a friend that played Half-life Alyx on his and said it was great. Not sure which connection he used though since I don't think AirLink was standard at the time he did it. He got an Quest 2 nearly the day it came out.

Plus if you turn on developer mode and get SideQuest, you can force your Quest to up the texture quality in most games. And it not supports 120hz. Though this will diminish battery life. But it makes the Quest native games look better. Though in the grand scheme of things, VR is cool enough that quibbling over these minor improvements is silly. Playing VR itself is just cool.

The only things the Quest 2 will get outclassed on by roughly similarly priced things in the near future will be FOV, eye tracking, and better hand tracking. Yet, I find the current hand tracking pretty good. None of these are really deal breakers. It's like when Nvidia started RTX. It will take things a while to catch up to make use of those things.

I just want to mention that @Legend5555 & @CrazyEddie really know their stuff. I come on here expecting to correct guys since I know a lot about VR, but you two are bang on about the benefits/limitations of the quest.

I love the quests I have. And I run a lot of games on them from my gaming PC, but the wireless aspect can't be beat, even when travelling for work.

I'm down for a Pokerstars VR session anytime. I'm "leshiebs" if you guys ever want to take a donk's fake money. ;)

...my gaming rig is still running Win7 and AirLink isn't supported on an OS that old. :(
Time to update! I was a "late adopter" myself...switched a while after I was "forced to" (Win7 not receiving updates)...and no regrets. Windows 10 is the best Microsoft OS ever for sure. I don't like the "you must update" stuff, but you can turn that off with a group policy. However, you still can't select which updates to receive, but at least you can control when the PC updates.

There was an 8-year old kid who threw me a virtual vape last night and I faked like I was smoking it and when I blew out, virtual smoke blew out hahaha

I told the kid not to do drugs and he goes “Okay, Crossland. What about this?” And he pulls out a virtual beer, cracks it open like it was real life and starts chugging it. Virtual sounds were spot on for all of it haha this crap is insane!

Some guy bet big and another guy went all-in. When the first guy called and lost, he pulled out a virtual gun and just yeeted it across the table at the guy who beat him.

I sound high as shit right now just typing all this but it all happened! VR poker is insane.

Only play money for now, but I've always said it would be a great way to host a game with friends and just do payouts separately. This is the response I got when asking about real money last year.
Screenshot_20220222-142048_Discord.jpg

Will look into creating a game for PCF members to join sometime this afternoon.

Would be cool to meet some of you (virtually) lol
Love it, I am in!

Important note: cash games are raked so buy in / cash outs may be annoying.

Love it, I am in!

Important note: cash games are raked so buy in / cash outs may be annoying.
Good point, the SnGs may work better unless a system is figured out to avoid rake calculations.

So I've played around on P*VR for a while now. Cash games are a suckers gambit. They rake something like a flat 10%. Which makes sense since everyone gets free chips every 8 hours. But I've found that Spin n Gos are the way to go. I don't think they rake it. It's MUCH faster. And they are VERY easy. With people folding to jams incorrectly pre very often.

So I've played around on P*VR for a while now. Cash games are a suckers gambit. They rake something like a flat 10%. Which makes sense since everyone gets free chips every 8 hours. But I've found that Spin n Gos are the way to go. I don't think they rake it. It's MUCH faster. And they are VERY easy. With people folding to jams incorrectly pre very often.
The cash game makes no sense to me with "free" chips so I agree and avoid it as well..... the Spin and Go's with 3 players where 1 player makes double the buy in back as a minimum and sometime much more makes them very worth while and my chip bankroll increased just because of them. Overall I enjoy playing mostly tournaments in that program playing mostly the 20k but recently I have enough chips to gamble on the 100k table now and then. Overall it is a fun time waster replacement for real poker when you have the urge to play.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom