Anyone have the Claysmith gaming 500 chip case? (1 Viewer)

mummel

Full House
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out the diameter of the dealer puck slot at the back. TY.

500ClaysmithOpenWTrays-500x500.jpg

As a heads up, there may be variation between batches of these cases. I ordered one several years ago, and was quite happy with it. I ordered another from the same source a year later, and the case was of a significantly lower quality. The outer dimensions of the case weren't even the same. It's quite likely that the cases weren't even made by the same manufacturer; they certainly didn't use the same parts. That being said, I can check when I get home tonight to at least give you a ballpark.

In regards to differences in quality, unfortunately I have two where the handles kept falling off. The brackets which held the handles in place were riveted too far apart, and when I picked up the case, the handle would swing out of place. Luckily I was always quick enough top catch the case before it dropped. I finally drilled out the rivets and reset them closer together. I use the cases all the time now with no problems, and love the layout of holding six racks with easy access to all six, plus a couple setups of cards, some buttons, and my card markers. Was just disappointed I had to fix them to make them acceptable.

All that being said I will purchase another when I finalize my cash set, which will conveniently have 1800 chips.

Would you take two of these cases over 1 bird cage? These hold 500 BTW.

If you ever plan on using the case for transporting to another location, these are definitely a great way to go. I have plenty of birdcages, and don't use them except around the house. They are more for display or storage than transportation IMO.

I'd give you the size of the button recess, but I threw away those pieces of foam when I made them 600 chip cases.

I dont think I'll be transporting the chips much, if ever. So I guess a birdcage is the better choice for display & it's cheaper at $48 for 1000 chips vs $40 for 500 chips.

Yes, if you plan on never taking the chips out for a ride, or to see a movie, or visit a friend...(wait, am I the only one who does this?)

The bird cage is definitely the cooler choice for in-house use.

500ClaysmithOpenWTrays-500x500xxx.png

Cut out little section of foam between the 2 card cut-outs to make room for an extra rack (red portion in image). Then cutout rectangle piece where front dealer chip cutout is to make room for cards (yellow portion in image). Nice and easy. I can take a picture later if need be.

Thats a great idea. What did you use to cut the foam so it came out night and even? I think my steak knife would wreck it.

I think I have Da Vinci cards. Come in a large plastic box, not individual card boxes. I either need to find card boxes, or figure out how I can get that plastic container in there. Cant remember if the Da Vinci cards came in boxes. Maybe I tossed them? Do you guys have those acetate cards? Do they come in boxes of plastic containers?

Yes, if you plan on never taking the chips out for a ride, or to see a movie, or visit a friend...(wait, am I the only one who does this?)

The bird cage is definitely the cooler choice for in-house use.

Do you just have a bag for your cards and puck if you use the cage?

I have one. I don't recommend it for transportation, and if you're not transporting them, I don't recommend anything other than a drawer or birdcage for storage - even a cheap one will suffice.

If you're transporting chips in the cabin of your vehicle, I can whole-heartedly recmomend the cases by Versa. Here's an example of one on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Versa-Games-500pc-Deluxe-Poker/dp/B00TADTLPS

They're not my ideal case (note: I've never seen my ideal case), and they're a little pricey, but I'll pay the extra w/o question. Best stock, ready-to-go off the shelf, dedicated poker chip case I've ever owned.

If you're transporting the chips in a cargo hold, truck bed/trailer, or some other such area, then a Pelican-style case is the only way to go, IMO.

I have one. I don't recommend it for transportation, and if you're not transporting them, I don't recommend anything other than a drawer or birdcage for storage - even a cheap one will suffice.

If you're transporting chips in the cabin of your vehicle, I can whole-heartedly recmomend the cases by Versa. Here's an example of one on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Versa-Games-500pc-Deluxe-Poker/dp/B00TADTLPS

They're not my ideal case (note: I've never seen my ideal case), and they're a little pricey, but I'll pay the extra w/o question. Best stock, ready-to-go off the shelf, dedicated poker chip case I've ever owned.

If you're transporting the chips in a cargo hold, truck bed/trailer, or some other such area, then a Pelican-style case is the only way to go, IMO.

But for home only youre saying the birdcage is a win?

Thats a great idea. What did you use to cut the foam so it came out night and even? I think my steak knife would wreck it.

I think I have Da Vinci cards. Come in a large plastic box, not individual card boxes. I either need to find card boxes, or figure out how I can get that plastic container in there. Cant remember if the Da Vinci cards came in boxes. Maybe I tossed them? Do you guys have those acetate cards? Do they come in boxes of plastic containers?
regular utility knife like this one:

Utility_Knife.jpg

I keep my Bicycle Prestige cards in my case and those come with individual boxes.

Here's how you can set it up with those Da Vinci cards, using the existing foam:

Tuck the dealer button vertically between the foam and the outside of the case. Can store two setups on top of each other. I use the 20 chip plastic container for $100 chips when on the go.

But for home only youre saying the birdcage is a win?

Exactly. The only applicable advantage that the Claysmith has in that scenario is that you can access any of the racks upon opening, without removing any others.

Exactly. The only applicable advantage that the Claysmith has in that scenario is that you can access any of the racks upon opening, without removing any others.

It is kind of nice to be able to see all your chips in the Claysmith for easier handling. Also, can separate the tourney and cash sets completely. Much lighter to move around, less hassle. Are the birdcages a pain to color up, or handle rebuys?

Here's how you can set it up with those Da Vinci cards, using the existing foam:

Tuck the dealer button vertically between the foam and the outside of the case. Can store two setups on top of each other. I use the 20 chip plastic container for $100 chips when on the go.

Very nice. Is this the Claysmith?

I have the "newer" Claysmith 500 (purchased about a year ago), and it is a complete piece of crap. Looks like they changed up the materials/manufacturing some time ago. I cannot recommend it to anyone.

If you're looking for a truly beefy case, the Versa cases have served me well. I've yet to find anything like them on the market...

https://www.discountpokershop.com/versa-games-500pc-deluxe-poker-chip-case-gray-p-655.html
https://www.discountpokershop.com/versa-games-1000pc-deluxe-poker-chip-case-gray-p-656.html

Versa seems great but pricey. 2 X $65 = $130 for 1000 chips vs $50 for a birdcage.

Versa seems great but pricey. 2 X $65 = $130 for 1000 chips vs $50 for a birdcage.

Looks like your choice is made. As long as you are not transporting, birdcage seems to be the answer. (y) :thumbsup:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom