Anyone ever did a label that looks like a hotstamp? (1 Viewer)

GenghisKhan

Full House
Reaction score
So my solid hotstamp set is missing 1000s and I'm going over all kinds of ideas today.

I just wondered what if you create a label the same base color as the solid chip, and design what looks like a hotstamp on said label.

Has anyone ever tried it?

I saw chips like that here once. I can't remember the details. Hopefully somebody else will remember. Maybe they had a family's last name on them?

IIRC @ttttubby made some labels for someone's China clays that had a Hawaiian theme...hula maybe, but it had a label that looked like a hot stamp. I think it was clear with a gold foil looking print. I know they were on ol' blue, but there may be images of them here

I remember on chiptalk years ago someone was saying they could print onto clear adhesive sheets (even with metallic colours) so that you don't have to worry about colour-matching the base of the chip. Was this Gear? Or was this an (erroneous?) claim by someone else?

Two minutes late in posting. Was this chipshippie?

I remember on chiptalk years ago someone was saying they could print onto clear adhesive sheets (even with metallic colours) so that you don't have to worry about colour-matching the base of the chip. Was this Gear? Or was this an (erroneous?) claim by someone else?

Two minutes late in posting. Was this chipshippie?

Correct.

Thanks everyone. Found the old threads and pics which I'm posting here.

Rather than the transparent ones, I was thinking more along the lines of using an existing solid Paulson chip with either a stamp or an inlay, and putting a sticker similar to those but with the background same color as chip base to cover what's there already.

Maybe make a "Fun Nite 1000 No Value" for this set to plug the hole.

I actually have a bunch of yellow Paulsons here but they all have edgespots.

You guys think such a label could look okay-ish?

The way the Kahuna one is designed makes it actually look stamped in, like an impression.

p1060397pxsrb.jpg
p1060384xhi10.jpg
20180113_163905.jpg

That was the genius that was chipshippie. I always wondered if anyone had the means of reaching him so that someone like @Gear can buy his equipment and continue the faux hotstamp trend.

I was getting ready to contact @Gear about this exact thing. I want to get a few T500's for my Bourbon Street set which has the T100 as its highest denom. I am hoping to relabel some Flamingo solid $1s with a label that would be the "Flamingo blue" color with hotstamped-looking lettering to match the Bourbons.

The colormatch is the (relatively) easy part, assuming the base color of the chip can be matched at all, i.e. it's not Blaze Orange or Arc Yellow or Hot Pink or any other fluorescent Paulson color.

The hard part is using CMYK inks to print something that looks anything like hotstamp foil. What makes a hotstamp look good is that the foil reflects light differently at different angles, and it's REALLY shiny. It's basically impossible to print anything that looks even remotely like real hotstamp foil. I tried it for a while with my printer/cutter but the metallic ink was only "sorta metallic looking" and while it was more reflective than plain ink, it was still not anywhere close to foil levels of shiny.

Another route is to print the background color onto foil media... the problem with this is that you pretty much have to laminate the result, and the makers of solvent-inkjet-printable metallized vinyl advise against full-bleed printing (that is, printing right up to the edge, as you'd obviously need for a faux hotstamp label.) Technical details blah blah blah... it doesn't work (yet?)

That's all based on inkjet printing. Mark (chipshippie) was using different printing technology, direct thermal printing as I recall. (He told me once what model printer he had but I can't find the PM to remember for sure.) I'm looking into adding a direct-thermal printer to my equipment lineup, in any case, specifically to be able to do this kind of thing.

TL;DR -- I can't do it yet, but stay tuned.

I just tried this last week with a few chips - I hated it - felt like I was weak - very weak -- removed soon after photo ...

Just wanted to see what it looked like - I am shopping around for a Hotstamp wand ...

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    182.6 KB · Views: 243
Old thread, but I was wondering if you have had any success with faux hotstamp labels.
@Gear did some for me a long time ago. Some quarters on a blue laminated label. I can take some pics in July. But he did what he could, and without metallic ink the results were ok, but not spectacular. Usable but obviously a label. These were applied to milled chips.

The colormatch is the (relatively) easy part, assuming the base color of the chip can be matched at all, i.e. it's not Blaze Orange or Arc Yellow or Hot Pink or any other fluorescent Paulson color.

The hard part is using CMYK inks to print something that looks anything like hotstamp foil. What makes a hotstamp look good is that the foil reflects light differently at different angles, and it's REALLY shiny. It's basically impossible to print anything that looks even remotely like real hotstamp foil. I tried it for a while with my printer/cutter but the metallic ink was only "sorta metallic looking" and while it was more reflective than plain ink, it was still not anywhere close to foil levels of shiny.

Another route is to print the background color onto foil media... the problem with this is that you pretty much have to laminate the result, and the makers of solvent-inkjet-printable metallized vinyl advise against full-bleed printing (that is, printing right up to the edge, as you'd obviously need for a faux hotstamp label.) Technical details blah blah blah... it doesn't work (yet?)

That's all based on inkjet printing. Mark (chipshippie) was using different printing technology, direct thermal printing as I recall. (He told me once what model printer he had but I can't find the PM to remember for sure.) I'm looking into adding a direct-thermal printer to my equipment lineup, in any case, specifically to be able to do this kind of thing.

TL;DR -- I can't do it yet, but stay tuned.
Can you do this yet?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom