Anybody willing to give me a crash course in photshop or AI (1 Viewer)

FordPickup92

Royal Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all - have downloaded photoshop and Illustrator. Have gotten some pointers but I'm looking for a mini crash course on how to use the applications. Just trying to do aome custom DB and label designs for Ben and I.

TIA, Brie

YouTube is your friend. A single crash course probably wouldn’t get you very far but happy to try to help.

Honestly, just pick one project and have fun playing around trying to figure it out. Soon you will learn what the different tools can do after going back and forth watching videos to figure out how to accomplish your goal step by step.

Your first project is going to take a very long time. And likely a lot of your projects after that. But with time you’ll become more efficient and learn the best tools and ways to do things. Always more to learn too.

I would suggest that you borrow a PSD file for PS or an AI file for Illustrator of a completed design or logo. That way you can play around with existing layers and paths as opposed to creating them from scratch.

Additionally, I always recommend that novices check out CreativeMarket for inexpensive but well designed logos and graphic elements. Find something that looks like you might like it, pay a couple bucks, then tweak it to your desire.

I learned photoshop and adobe lightroom from scratch pretty much exclusively with youtube videos and I am now a wedding photographer. As @JeepologyOffroad suggests, I also think it's best to just start your project and as soon as you run into a problem - watch a video on how to do that little step and keep marching from there. Soon you'll be able to go longer and longer stretches without watching a new guide.

A complete guide to a program like Photoshop or Illustrator would 1) be very very long and thus hard to follow with full concentration and 2) cover all sorts of stuff and tools that you don't need for your specific project.
This is why breaking down every little problem or step with a specialized video is way more efficent and easier to follow because you only have to pay attention for 5-10 minutes before you can try out what you just saw.

Edit: Oh and look for more recent videos since those programs get updated pretty frequently and a guide from 2016 will often times describe functions or tools that have been changed/reworked or sometimes completely replaced by others.

Thanks for the pointers guys. My first attempt I was unable to seperate an images layers and adjust as desired, so I will have to look more into that beginning topic

I found Illustrator to be very intuitive. Years ago I got myself a limited time free copy and just went at it. Designed a whole pile of chip art meant for full face ceramic printing. Very quickly after that an order went in to OWPS.

I can agree with everyone that just practicing and taking it one step at a time will get you on your way. That's how I learned to use both. Watching videos when you get stuck and want to do "that" thing is also a very good pointer. Good luck and can't wait to see what's to come in the future!

I’m happy to upload some of my AI files for different chips I have created.
this will give you an idea of layers and how I put it all together.

Maybe if you post a cocktail napkin sketch of your design we can give you some ideas of what to do first... then do next... then next.

ie. First, learn how to draw a circle of the correct size. Then learn how to add a some text. Etc etc

Thanks for the pointers guys. My first attempt I was unable to seperate an images layers and adjust as desired, so I will have to look more into that beginning topic

You'll want to use vector format images. If you're using a jpg or gif, you won't be able to separate the images. There's programs around that will vectorize images, and illustrator has a built in vecorization tool called "image trace" which is a bit more limited, but still does a decent job depending on the type of image. Anything with lots of shading and gradients, or is low resolution will not convert over well.

As lots of people have mentioned, youtube is very helpful. I learned 100% through youtube. When I didn't knw how to do something, I would just search it and find the way to do it and add it to my toolbox. Occasionally I have to refresh myself on how to do certain things, but once you've done it one or two times, you'll know how to do it going forward.

Anything in particular you want help with?

You'll want to use vector format images. If you're using a jpg or gif, you won't be able to separate the images. There's programs around that will vectorize images, and illustrator has a built in vecorization tool called "image trace" which is a bit more limited, but still does a decent job depending on the type of image. Anything with lots of shading and gradients, or is low resolution will not convert over well.

As lots of people have mentioned, youtube is very helpful. I learned 100% through youtube. When I didn't knw how to do something, I would just search it and find the way to do it and add it to my toolbox. Occasionally I have to refresh myself on how to do certain things, but once you've done it one or two times, you'll know how to do it going forward.

Anything in particular you want help with?
Initially that was my first problem, I had a jpeg image in illustrator. I have since (with some help) located a different version of the image and will be attempting to "start over" reworking the image tomorrow

I use a Mac, and an app I’ve been using for years is called Vector Magic. It hasn’t been updated in forever but it’s amazing...It takes a jpeg, even a low res jaggy one and makes smooth vectors from it.
If you want to send me a jpeg that you need outlined into illustrator, I could give it a go.

I use a Mac, and an app I’ve been using for years is called Vector Magic. It hasn’t been updated in forever but it’s amazing...It takes a jpeg, even a low res jaggy one and makes smooth vectors from it.
If you want to send me a jpeg that you need outlined into illustrator, I could give it a go.
Thanks I will keep that in mind as I struggle a bit tomorrow!

If you're finding yourself stuck on any step, you can ask some specific questions and I'm sure many of us are able to guide you through the process. Illustrator is a very powerful program with hundreds, if not thousands, of functions. Stuff like adding shadows, gradients, outlines, etc are questions many of us can answer.

It's great that you found a vector format image, it makes things much easier than converting or even tracing.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom