Anybody ever sell a chip set because they couldn't win with them? (1 Viewer)

I threw a perfectly good deck of cards in the trash after a run bad.

Don’t think I would sell a set of chips.

lol, great topic and one I was actually thinking about the other day. I certainly have, and it somewhat catapulted me into the higher end chipping realm. Many many years ago, in the days of playing with slugged plastics, I felt it was time for an improvement to our game and got in on the CT Palm Imports Private Cardroom china clay MGK group buy, and bought a big 'ol tournament set. They were probably the nicest china clays I've ever played with (still true), really well designed set top to bottom with a nice inlay design. Had them in play for almost two years of monthly tourneys, and it was one of my worst tourney stretches ever. I cashed once or twice, and the losses were brutal. Started looking around at new sets and dipped my toe into the Paulson market, sold those f#ckers and never looked back, lol. That being said, I don't think I would do that with any of my current sets, I love them all too much.

On the flip side, I have one set in particular that I've had a tremendous amount of success on over the years - nearly all my home tournament wins and a very large percentage of my cashes have come on one set. I always make sure it gets its spot in the rotation :D My customs have treated me well, lots of cashes but still looking for that elusive first win.

Lately when I start to run bad I switch dealer buttons to the Kifer :mad: button. It hasn't actually ever helped yet, but alleviates some frustration and is better than selling chips. I usually blame my card-capper anyway; my favorite one is a real piece of shit for card luck.

This thread makes me think though. What if I spent time designing a custom set and ordering it through CPC and then I lose big every time I play with it. What then? :cry:

Hey now the OP @upNdown helped me in building my Giant chip set. Someday when I get plaques made (I know you are not a fan, but nothing I can do) we will have to see how we run on another "Big Boy set"
View attachment 791740
No where near as cool as the winners clubs, but still all Fat Hats is going to be pretty awesome. Planning on making T2k and T10k plaques for the top end at some point!
Dibs!

I rarely sell chips, so I can safely say that I've never sold a set because I lost with them.

I don’t think I ever won with the Majestic chips. I’ve sold them but mainly for the reason of getting rid of China Clay.

How about…. Have you ever quit hosting because you can’t win at your own home? I had serious thoughts about this due to very very good success everywhere else I played but little to no success at my own home game. Finally won a tournament after 5 years of horrible horrible results at home, decent results since but still excellent results when I play anywhere else.

Selling chips seems to be a bit extreme! Before resorting to that, try

Using a different card protector, dealer button, cards setup, etc.

Or, wear a different shirt, pants, underwear, socks, ring, watch, etc.

Or, put your cash in your other pocket.

Or, eat/drink something other than your usual.

If none of these work, play better! ;)

I have never, but I have been on a winning streak with WTHCs and just started buying more of them.

Had a good run with the HSIs last night as well so they seem to be keepers

It must be the chips....

Yes I did,
Never could win with them, got beat over & over.
Got beat twice by Quads over Full House in the first hour one night and they were for sale the next day :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Here are the broken chips
Man I still love that Snake Juice chip

View attachment 791716
I recently started watching this show after finding these chips simply outstanding. It's actually pretty good and I have even laughed.

What did you do with the cards? wouldn't just throw them away

Z4qX40p.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom