Any UChicago or Northwestern grads? (1 Viewer)

HMU, here or via PM, please. Interested in discussing campus visits during COVID shutdown.
I am a U of Chicago grad (MBA) and lived in Chicago for 10 years but am now based in Hong Kong. Still have close contacts in Chicago / Evanston depending on what help you need...

I lived in Chicago for exactly years after college and was on each campus one time during that span. My wife thinks this makes me an expert to give a guided tour on both campuses.

She wants me to take the boy out there, but I don't want it to be a waste of time. I understand he may not be able to experience campus life, but I at least want to be able to show him where the dorms are, where the majority of his classes will be, etc.

My brother got his MBA from UChicago too, but he lived on the Northside and commuted to night classes (plus, he lives in Oregon now), so his experience may not be the same as my son getting a bachelor's...

Any insight?

I lived in Chicago for exactly years after college and was on each campus one time during that span. My wife thinks this makes me an expert to give a guided tour on both campuses.

She wants me to take the boy out there, but I don't want it to be a waste of time. I understand he may not be able to experience campus life, but I at least want to be able to show him where the dorms are, where the majority of his classes will be, etc.

My brother got his MBA from UChicago too, but he lived on the Northside and commuted to night classes (plus, he lives in Oregon now), so his experience may not be the same as my son getting a bachelor's...

Any insight?
First of all congrats, great programs to get into. For the University of Chicago, the Hyde Park campus on the South side is pretty straightforward, the website for admissions should cover it. there’s a main quadrangle where 99 pct of his classes will be And it’s very easy to access. There are some new dorms for undergrads built out since I left but just off the main quadrangle as well behind and to the side of Rockefeller chapel.

you guys can the drive around the campus and head a few blocks north toward 57th street where the commercial area is for an off campus place to hang if you don’t want to head Downtown. You can then head east of the main campus towards the lake so he sees the museum of science campus.

am not as familiar with Northwestern and Evanston. That’s a bit more spread out but also quite straightforward.

hope this helps.

go

Our son did not go there, but Kat and our son Mike visited both of these campuses (campii)? three years ago. You can hit her with questions Friday.

You can also edit that last sentence and throw it in the out-of-context!

Went to grad school at Northwestern, shoot me a PM if you have any questions.

Just general questions... Are there dorms where the freshman are herded? What percentage of kids live off campus? Where are Gen Ed and pre-req classes likely to be held? What parts of campus are must sees? What other parts of Student Life should be seen/explored?

I realize some of this may have changed since you were there. I know the campuses where I did my undergrad and post-grad work have changed significantly since I was there.

I'm basically asking you to give me some info that I could otherwise expect in a school-sponsored campus tour.

Just general questions... Are there dorms where the freshman are herded? What percentage of kids live off campus? Where are Gen Ed and pre-req classes likely to be held? What parts of campus are must sees? What other parts of Student Life should be seen/explored?

I realize some of this may have changed since you were there. I know the campuses where I did my undergrad and post-grad work have changed significantly since I was there.

I'm basically asking you to give me some info that I could otherwise expect in a school-sponsored campus tour.

Probably won't be able to be too helpful with most of that kind of stuff since I was only there for grad school and I was living off campus the entire time (not to mention it's been over 20 years since I've been there).

Overall I loved Evanston though, and the campus itself is great.

Probably won't be able to be too helpful with most of that kind of stuff since I was only there for grad school and I was living off campus the entire time (not to mention it's been over 20 years since I've been there).

Overall I loved Evanston though, and the campus itself is great.
Jebus, you're old! :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom