Any recommendations on a new case...or table? (1 Viewer)

FickieRowler

3 of a Kind
Supporter Plus
Reaction score
I’m new here. Working on my first set of chips. Any recommendations on a case for the chips? Or a good table for a home game? Eight players.

I’m new here. Working on my first set of chips. Any recommendations on a case for the chips? Or a good table for a home game? Eight players.
Do you plan to travel with the chips? If so, most people prefer the Pelicans and Nanuks it seems. (I think they are intended for cameras, but serve beautifully as chip carrying cases)

If you aren't going to transport, no need to case them up IMHO. You can buy racks.

What kind of chips are you after? Id recommend some samples prior to purchasing.

For tables, there is so much information on this site. There is a ton of information and pics to help you make a choice for table and chip storage.

I store all my chips in a safe. I went a bit of a different route for chip storage.

Lots of options for tables!

@T_Chan offers a whole menu of options from basic to more custom high-end tables, and there are also entry-level options available like the Barrington Tables. There's an entire Barrington Table Thread with tips/tricks for upgrades.

You could also build a fairly nice table on your own for $350-$700 USD (depending on features/options).

Here's my thread of my own basic table build, no cupholders.
If you have wood-working skills and want to get fancy, here's a very nice raised-rail build by @Lancew09.

You can find lots of other build threads with a ton of tips and tricks by killing time with the search function.

There are guys here with $229 pre-fab tables and there are guys here with custom designed/built $2,500 tables. And then there's a boat load of stuff in between. It's really going to come down to your budget, and what you want to spend.

Best of luck! :tup:

There are also numerous threads about chip storage as well.

Personally, I'm a fan of "birdcages". Not very good for travel, but if you are only transporting from room to room, they are excellent, and they keep the chips on display between games. I own 3, two if them with custom etching.

Beautiful wooden display boxes are also an excellent storage option for very nice sets if you have a place to keep them. I own 1, and keep it on my coffee table. You never know when you will need chips.

Pelicans or Nanuks are the way to go if you plan to take them out of the house. I own just one. It is great, but it is very bulky, so when you are up to your 8th set they make much less sence unless you travel your chips a lot.

Most people will steer you away from aluminum cases. I haven't had any issues with any of mine yet (except that they scratch/dent easily), but I would only buy one now if I knew it was for a cheap set that wasn't going to see much use. It's much easier to set-up / tear-down each night if you have something that accommodates racks. I own 4 of them.

Awesome! Thank you so much for your thorough answer. Any suggestion on where to purchase a wooden storage case? I’m working on a set of 1500-2000 Paulson Garden Chips (I used to prop play there in college). :)

thanks again!

Awesome! Thank you so much for your thorough answer. Any suggestion on where to purchase a wooden storage case? I’m working on a set of 1500-2000 Paulson Garden Chips (I used to prop play there in college). :)

thanks again!
I bought mine second-hand, so keeping an eye open in the classifieds might help. Some woodworkers here are quite capable, and have built absolutely beautiful custom cases, but I dont know if they want me calling them out, since it's not their primary business. Once again, keeping an open eye would be key. It's one of the interesting things about a community like this. Stick around, and you may discover hidden talents that will absolutely blow away anything you would find with a typical Google search.

again,
I bought mine second-hand, so keeping an eye open in the classifieds might help. Some woodworkers here are quite capable, and have built absolutely beautiful custom cases, but I dont know if they want me calling them out, since it's not their primary business. Once again, keeping an open eye would be key. It's one of the interesting things about a community like this. Stick around, and you may discover hidden talents that will absolutely blow away anything you would find with a typical Google search.
thanks for the great advice

Here's my thought on poker chip storage, I went to my local " harbor freight " store and bought a small ammo case $3.49 with a super coupon, then I bought Guardhouse Square coin tubes for storing my chips, each tube can hold up to 21 chips when you remove the inside lid ring with an exacto knife, these tubes the one that is made for 1oz American Silver Eagle coins are perfect for us poker players, you still can see what you have in the tube, plus you can fit 20 tubes perfectly in the ammo can, I have my cash game set up this way and also some tournament games as well, hope this helps you out and gives you some options, oops forgot to mention the coin tubes cost .55¢ each unless you buy bulk!

thanks again!

You will want two cases (at least) for 1500-2000 Paulson chips. That's a very heavy load.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom