Any NES collector's around here? (1 Viewer)

duffman

Flush
Reaction score
Bought a never used (NIB) NES action set on eBay around 10 years ago or so. Total impulse BIN purchase. I thought it was a good deal considering it wasn't much more than what it would have cost new back in '88. Just thought it was cool to have something from my childhood that was never used. The plan was to put it on display. Never did. Although cool, it's just been sitting in a closet. The deal included a sealed black box version of Golf. I was scanning eBay for recent sold auctions and was floored when I saw some recent sales for these games. I never thought this stuff was so valuable. Do any of you guys (or gal's) collect old video games?

I don’t collect but program raspberry pi’s to run all the old games on and they are pretty popular. An electrician I use at work has a collection worth around 30k. Even has a app that keeps track of what he owns and his collections value.

Still have my old NES. Still works too! My son had a great time with it until he recently got a Nintendo Switch (which can also play all the old NES games).

This is nuts! That kind of cash could buy a lot of nice chips! :)

I still have my original NES, bought 2 more on eBay about 11 years ago which are in way better condition. I've picked up games here and there up until a few years ago since they're ridiculous now.

Named my daughter Zelda in 2016 after my favorite game.

Ya I have the switch with all the old games as well but nothing like blowing the dust out of the old cartridge and crossing your fingers and hope it works.

That golf auction blows my mind.

It is even more crazy now with people on lockdown. the people that have money but can’t travel or go to events are now spending it on things like this. Magic the Gathering and Pokemon cards are going through the roof as well. One of my friends that is still into MtG told me about a Black Lotus that sold at auction for $500k recently

My brother and I got the NES in 1986 when it was still shipping with Duck Hunt and Gyromite using R.O.B.
We actually had to buy Super Mario Bros separately since they weren’t bundling it yet......
Still have it all. Our first two games were Slalom and Kung Fu
My big regret was selling my original Zelda cartridge at a garage sale....... I kept most others. Still have Final Fantasy 1 complete with box. Oh and I have 1-50 Nintendo Power magazines including the early versions before they started the monthly subscription.......
But now I just use emulators for all of the games.... just easier that way.

Most memorable ending to a game had to be ‘1942’, we played it literally ALL day one weekend and at the end the big finale was just the word “Congratulation” we laughed and cried over that one......... :)

My brother and I got the NES in 1986 when it was still shipping with Duck Hunt and Gyromite using R.O.B.
We actually had to buy Super Mario Bros separately since they weren’t bundling it yet......
Still have it all. Our first two games were Slalom and Kung Fu
My big regret was selling my original Zelda cartridge at a garage sale....... I kept most others. Still have Final Fantasy 1 complete with box. Oh and I have 1-50 Nintendo Power magazines including the early versions before they started the monthly subscription.......
But now I just use emulators for all of the games.... just easier that way.

Most memorable ending to a game had to be ‘1942’, we played it literally ALL day one weekend and at the end the big finale was just the word “Congratulation” we laughed and cried over that one......... :)

This is awesome!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210222-235837.png
    Screenshot_20210222-235837.png
    672.9 KB · Views: 86
The original Zelda was the best game ever made.

I remember my dad renting it from blockbuster for my brother and me when at my grandma’s house. Dad ended up playing it more than both of us, got so addicted that he bought the game from blockbuster (couldn’t start over and lose all that progress!)
My gold cartridge still has the blockbuster tape on the back! Awesome memory.

Second favorite NES memory: dad always used to joke with my mom that he had a crush on April, the news reporter from the teenage mutant ninja turtles cartoon. One day my brother and I were playing Nintendo and my dad walks in and shouts, guys, I have to go see April and the turtles in the basement, they’ve got something for me! He’s down there for 5 minutes “talking to April and the turtles” and then comes upstairs and hands us the new teenage mutant ninja turtles NES game, another classic. We were so jazzed that day. Can’t wait to spoil the shit out of my kids someday.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom