Any Jeep Aficionados In the House? (1 Viewer)

justsomedude

Straight Flush
Reaction score
I know we're all poker chips nerds, but I figure there has to be some Jeep nerds in the house as well... amiright? I know @One Eyed Dollar has a tricked out XJ. I have my own mildly-lifted WJ. Anyone else out there on the scene?

I only ask because my WJ needs some work. I'll be swapping out some JK wheels this weekend and had to get back into the Jeep forums to get some info on backspacing and tire sizes.

So I thought I'd try chatting up Jeep talk with some PCFers too!

Use my 2009 for hunting and fishing in the Sierras.

Not too modified...LOD bumpers front and rear (photo is prior to rear LOD), photo is also prior to heavier springs to support steel bumpers, Rock Hard armor underneath, Ace rock sliders, winch, grab bars, led bar, led spots in front and floods in rear, etc.

Currently stock wheels...I've researched a bit on changing but didn't get to far.

20151218_131059~2~2.jpg

Last edited:
The scenery on the Alpine Loop is incredible, and there is a whole spiderweb of trails in the area. Some are more difficult, but you can do the whole loop in a stock Jeep if you avoid those. Here are a couple of my favorite photos from the trip.

DSC05410.JPG
DSC05561.JPG

Here's some of my XJ's that I've owned in the last 6 or so years.

First one.... 1997 XJ 4 inch lift, 32's, ARB's and on Board Air etc. Favorite thing about this one was it was a 5 speed manual!
14918768_10100773509339730_8007345153438503040_o.jpg

Second one... 2001 XJ- 5.5 inch lift w/33's
14907604_10100773514544300_3126572037763921360_n.jpg

Third one... (I keep going bigger every time :D). 1999 Jeep XJ - 6.5 inch Iron Rock Offroad Long arm lift kit- Detroit Trutrac lockers front and rear, 35's, Dana 44 and 4.88 gears (not so fun on the highway but great when going under 65 mph lol)
14900474_10100773051926390_7708609433215474887_n.jpg

Great XJs! My 98 XJ is my first Jeep. It was stock when I bought it 4 years ago, and soon after I added the Full Traction 3.5" long arm kit and 33s. I recently bought a set of axles that I need to swap on as soon as I get a chance. It's the stock D30/8.25 combo, but with 4.56 gears and a TrueTrac in front and OEM limited slip in the back. I can't wait to try those out.

I know we're all poker chips nerds, but I figure there has to be some Jeep nerds in the house as well... amiright? I know @One Eyed Dollar has a tricked out XJ. I have my own mildly-lifted WJ. Anyone else out there on the scene?

I only ask because my WJ needs some work. I'll be swapping out some JK wheels this weekend and had to get back into the Jeep forums to get some info on backspacing and tire sizes.

So I thought I'd try chatting up Jeep talk with some PCFers too!
When you get new wheels please post what you get...

When you get new wheels please post what you get...

Just standard 17" JK wheels with stock Wrangler tires to replace the 16" stock wheels on my WJ. The 5x5 hole pattern matches exactly.

Not any kind of "upgrade" or anything (although I do like the looks of the JK wheels)... just trying to solve this death wobble issue for now...

wheels.PNG

$250 for four wheels and tires off craigslist. Can't complain.

Just standard 17" JK wheels with stock Wrangler tires to replace the 16" stock wheels on my WJ. The 5x5 hole pattern matches exactly.

Not any kind of "upgrade" or anything (although I do like the looks of the JK wheels)... just trying to solve this death wobble issue for now...

View attachment 97345

$250 for four wheels and tires off craigslist. Can't complain.
Excellent...lots of people sell the stock wheels...not bad deal you got. I've still got the same and don't plan on upgrading at this time.

Death wobble sucks to track down.
Ball joints ok?
Track bar torqued?

Right now I'm doing about $2k of work on the "obvious" stuff with a reputable Jeep shop in town, and then we'll go from there.

I'm at 140,000 miles and upper and lower front ball joints are blasted. Track bar bushing is also blasted, and I'm gonna replace the bar entirely with a better one while I'm at it. Gonna upgrade brake rotors as well (mine are severely warped). I replaced the tie rod ends with some Moog ones a couple summers ago, and the shop said they still looked good.

While they have it on the rack they're also gonna replace the (also blasted) engine mount bushings, and do a few other maintenance items.

Should have an update around Wednesay.

Last edited:
Forgot to mention... death wobble is cured!

I think the new track bar (+ new bushings) and replacing the (completely trashed 13 year old stock) ball joints was what she really needed!

I was just about to say track bar almost 100% of the time. Especially on lifted Jeeps it pulls the axle over to one side if you don't get a longer adjustable one when you lift it and then that throws all the steering geometry off. I've never had death wobble after an adjustable track bar install.

I was just about to say track bar almost 100% of the time. Especially on lifted Jeeps it pulls the axle over to one side if you don't get a longer adjustable one when you lift it and then that throws all the steering geometry off. I've never had death wobble after an adjustable track bar install.

Not sure it was solely the track bar in this case. I've been running an IRO adjustable TB since 2012, and death wobble was persistent. Although, I'm sure driving on blasted ball joints for the last few years didn't help either. :p

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom