Any good articles/videos on how NLHE strategy has evolved over the years? (1 Viewer)

Jake14mw

Flush
Reaction score
I was reading the other thread on here about book recommendations. There are many great poker books that have been created, but poker strategy evolves. I would love to read a summary, that's not too detailed that explains how stategy has changed. Any suggestions?

If playing pros, play GTO. If playing non-pros, play exploitable to exploit mistakes.

Nobody really talked like that 10 years ago.

You’ll pardon my continued skepticism, but the more I learn about GTO, the more I’m convinced it’s a bunch of leveling BS that will be gone in ten years.
When a pro flips a coin to decide his action, he’s wisely mixing his strategy, but if I flip a coin to decide my action, I’m a fish? Got it, thanks.
@Jake14mw I think it’s a good question, but only because pros and commentators force the question. I think whether you’re playing pros or amateurs, online or live, tournament or cash, you always need to adapt your strategies to your table. So maybe it’s more important to understand the strategies that were published 10 years ago AND the strategies being published today, than it is know which one people think is the most evolved or the most current.

Read about the AI bots that are now beating the pros in short hand NLHE. They are making strange and incredible plays that we humans have never considered. For example, huge river overbets and the like.

I view it as such:

Books and well published strategies only work until you face an opponent that knows the book or the line of strategy. Those old books loose some power against students of the game, but they are still effective against recreational players.

Online poker introduced a more aggressive player, so books post the online/poker boom started to lean more toward TAG play. Of course, once everyone knew the term "small ball poker", even the authors wouldn't touch that style of play. But again, if you are playing a rec player the book is still quite useful.

Reading various strategies is useful to know what you might be facing, and to give you more tools in your toolbox. Poker strategy doesn't really evolve, it grows, like a mechanic's tool collection. Sometimes, you need a highly advanced tool. Others, the hammer of Super System will suffice.

You’ll pardon my continued skepticism, but the more I learn about GTO, the more I’m convinced it’s a bunch of leveling BS that will be gone in ten years.
When a pro flips a coin to decide his action, he’s wisely mixing his strategy, but if I flip a coin to decide my action, I’m a fish? Got it, thanks.
@Jake14mw I think it’s a good question, but only because pros and commentators force the question. I think whether you’re playing pros or amateurs, online or live, tournament or cash, you always need to adapt your strategies to your table. So maybe it’s more important to understand the strategies that were published 10 years ago AND the strategies being published today, than it is know which one people think is the most evolved or the most current.

You SHOULD always adapt your strategy to your opponents, but you can't make wise decisions on how you should be playing unless you have a solid GTO understanding. How can you reconginize what mistakes your opponents are making if you don't understand what their play should look like in the first place?

To paraphrase John Nash on GTO - it works if your opponent plays 100% perfect poker.

Because of bluffing, which is inherently not playing optimal poker, GTO goes out the window. Not that GTO should be ignored, but only rely upon it to the level that you believe your opponent never bluffs, nor makes mistakes or bad calls.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom