Any Designers Want to Take a Crack At This? (1 Viewer)

MoscowRadio

Flush
Reaction score
Hey all you chip designers! I was originally planning on doing full ceramics, but now I'm considering turning these into hybrids. I have the rolling edge spots the way I would like them, but I can't make a clean chip face using these spots and I wanted to see if anyone here would be interested in taking a shot? I would like for the spots on the face to look more on the natural side and not quite so sharp.

Please feel free to comment here or shoot me a PM if you might be interested! Thanks!

uY5gGS0l.png

Slightly confused. You want to use these rolling edge spots, but want to make aligned face spots that "don't look too sharp"? Like a semi-circle or a fan or something?

I’d like for the spots on the face to look more like their clay cousins unlike the usual spots that we see on ceramics that have sharp edges. I guess “softer” is what I’m going for.

So you basically want 618 spots that look natural/clay-like? Either @Quicksilver-75 or @p5woody can do it, but I think both are taking a break from design work right now.

Well, then use your free-draw illustration tool to mock some up. Since you only have single spots it should be easy to do something more organic looking. You just need to define your edge borders on the face, since the depth (toward the center of the chip) is where you want the variability.

Wow. Those chips in the link are pretty damn cool. I think they may have changed my direction on the ceramics I’m looking to get made. What is the trick with this? Are the spots all random?

Wow. Those chips in the link are pretty damn cool. I think they may have changed my direction on the ceramics I’m looking to get made. What is the trick with this? Are the spots all random?
The spots are created quasi-random on each chip, but each denomination chip is identical to all the other same-denomination chips.... which still look pretty good (and somewhat realistically random) in stacks.

Those are ceramic hybrids, with a recessed center that holds a high-quality printed and laminated label. Much nicer than standard ceramics imo, especially the 43mm versions.

As I understood it, he actually mixed together a few different versions of each spot design to increase chip-to-chip variability. Referencing this post.

@MoscowRadio - you could probably pull this off using a good photo of a few real clay chips and a bit of brute force sweat equity. Open the photos, zoom way in, and carefully trace the details of the spots edges in solid color. This might get you far enough for the art department at your chip manufacturer to run with.

Also note how he distorted the rolling edge patterns to better mimic clay spots. A crucial detail for the aesthetic of stacked chips, IMO.

It can be done in Illustrator with good results, but it can be time consuming. I wouldn't "distort" the edges until you are 100% settled on the edgespot pattern. Drop me a PM and we'll see if I can help you out with this set.

I don’t think I want to distort the edge spots to look like clay. I just wanted the spots on the chip face to be rounded instead of the sharp rectangles we generally see on ceramic chips.

That's much easier, and much less time consuming.

That’s great! I’ve got the shape of the spots the way that I want them. I just need to make sure that they’re an even distance apart and will line up with the spots on the rolling edge.

I remember reading about it when he was creating them. I believe he said he created 4 different versions of each chip, each with slightly different spots.. So the spots aren't exactly random, but it's a pretty good trick.

On a ceramic-hybrid chip, is the center graphic on a sticker? If it is, you can increase the variability by not aligning the sticker to the edgespot pattern.
Yes, but Sun-Fly will align them by default unless you specify otherwise. It's actually harder to apply labels randomly than it is to follow a pattern. o_O

Yes, but Sun-Fly will align them by default unless you specify otherwise. It's actually harder to apply labels randomly than it is to follow a pattern. o_O
This. I asked for random placement...in an odd way the perfect sticker alignment set off my OCD alarm and does everytime we use them. :(

They look great! The rounded edge on the spots is perfect, and the clean "undistorted" edges on them complement this design perfectly.

Only thing I might adjust is the darker spots on the 1000 that are very close to the red spots on the 5000. Maybe lighten them up to more of an distinctly orange hue. It's a tough balance because you still want to contrast sharply to the base chip color.

I'm sure it's already planned, but: Get samples printed to make sure you're happy with how the colors turn out in real life.

Here's what I have as of now. Please let me know what you think!

rdxzo3Rl.png
For a more natural look I'd bring the top two outside points inboard just a pinch. Then click on the points separately and give the point a curved contour. Then use the handles created to angle them at a 45. It's just a small thing and most probably won't notice it but side by side with one of the BCC Grand Cardrooms chips you'll see the difference.
These look fawesome btw.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom