Any bad group buy stories out there? (1 Viewer)

I was so surprised when this happened.

He designed the inlay for my limit set. He only charged me $25 (I willingly paid more) and probably did 20 versions making slight changes because I kept changing my mind or having new ideas. I know he was very helpful with others too. It's too bad things went south because if he was in financial trouble I would've gladly sent him a little more as I feel I still paid too little for all the work he did.

As the story goes: he was a great member until he wasn't.
I agree. He did my first design and it was fantastic and her definitely undervalue himself to which I made sure to give him proper payment. I then asked for a second set to which he sort of got about 1/3 of the way into and then ghosted the forum. It was honestly just really weird lol

I once tried to put together a group buy with Kardwell for what would have been a few hundred decks of Gemaco Superflex. I got a verbal quote on the price from the actual owner of Kardwell, who was fine with selling off their Superflex inventory en masse at what was their advertised quantity discount. I made the offer here on PCF. Lots of people placed orders, so we made the quantity to get the reduced price.

When I tried to place the order with Kardwell, they told me the "owner made a mistake" and they would now be charging twice the price they quoted.

I later learned that Kardwell "offers" quantity discounts, but good luck trying to actually get the discount. I've never gotten it, and don't know anyone who has. Even when you place an online order with them, their site says the quantity discount will be deducted at checkout, but you're charged full price. It's a bait-and-switch, in my experience. I've never dealt with them again.

Nobody paid for cards, so nobody was out anything, but I'm sure people were disappointed, as was I.

Last edited:
The Imperial Plaza Resort GB. It wasn’t very big, thank goodness. Turns out there was a glaring error on one of the chips that nobody noticed. Most importantly by the designer.
Before this point the GB was cancelled. Then a very generous member volunteered to start it up again.
Upon delivery I noticed the error. I was sick to my stomach. So replacements were ordered at tremendous cost which a few, even more generous members helped cover the costs of. When the replacements were made, shipping and other personal reasons caused further delay. To be honest, the entire process was cursed from the start. Easily one of my biggest regrets.
What was the error?

What was the error?
Oh man...
That’s a story in itself. For once I didn’t do it the quick way and got burned. When designing the five, rather than opening an existing WIP file, I redid the entire chip in one shot. When I did the text ring I wrote “Imperial Plaza Resort”.
It stayed like this throughout the entire post-prototype process. The kicker was the original was perfect. So there are some error chips out there that use the wrong name mostly held by two people.

The Imperial Plaza Resort GB. It wasn’t very big, thank goodness. Turns out there was a glaring error on one of the chips that nobody noticed. Most importantly by the designer.
Before this point the GB was cancelled. Then a very generous member volunteered to start it up again.
Upon delivery I noticed the error. I was sick to my stomach. So replacements were ordered at tremendous cost which a few, even more generous members helped cover the costs of. When the replacements were made, shipping and other personal reasons caused further delay. To be honest, the entire process was cursed from the start. Easily one of my biggest regrets.
edit, i didn't refresh after reading the thread.

edit, i didn't refresh after reading the thread.
image.jpg

I once tried to put together a group buy with Kardwell for what would have been a few hundred decks of Gemaco Superflex. I got a verbal quote on the price from the actual owner of Kardwell, who was fine with selling off their Superflex inventory en masse at what was their advertised quantity discount. I made the offer here on PCF. Lots of people placed orders, so we made the quantity to get the reduced price.

When I tried to place the order with Kardwell, they told me the "owner made a mistake" and they would now be charging twice the price they quoted.

I later learned that Kardwell "offers" quantity discounts, but good luck trying to actually get the discount. I've never gotten it, and don't know anyone who has. Even when you place an online order with them, their site says the quantity discount will be deducted at checkout, but you're charged full price. It's a bait-and-switch, in my experience. I've never dealt with them again.

Nobody paid for cards, so nobody was out anything, but I'm sure people were disappointed, as was I.

Consider yourself lucky @dennis63 , Kardwell has turned into total scam artists. I've had an order in dispute with them for 5+ months where they have had my money but keep claiming that they're are limited by Covid issues and can't ship me my order and somehow can't refund my money either (that is when they will respond to inquiries at all). I also had them try a bait & switch on me for a product (card cases) listed on the website but after they took my order/money said they didn't have it and would send me another comparable product. Had to fight over getting that refunded as well.

In the past I had bought a few things from Kardwell and always had good results but the last couple of years they have turned into a total black hole, money/orders goes in but no product comes out, and customer service is non-existent.

I can recommend avoiding dealing with them at all costs.

I was so surprised when this happened.

He designed the inlay for my limit set. He only charged me $25 (I willingly paid more) and probably did 20 versions making slight changes because I kept changing my mind or having new ideas. I know he was very helpful with others too. It's too bad things went south because if he was in financial trouble I would've gladly sent him a little more as I feel I still paid too little for all the work he did.

As the story goes: he was a great member until he wasn't.

He also helped me (for free) on one of my designs.
I even remember he tried to launch a GB with BCC hotstamps but it was not successful.

Very surprised to read that...

Anyone reading this and getting scared of GBs should just know that @Tommy has GBs down to a mini-science now. And others have run them well, also.

The King Australia cards group buy last year went kind of sideways when it was discovered that all of the hearts in the bridge size decks they manufactured in most of the decks were warped and therefore unuseable. From what I hear the manufacturer made everyone whole, though.

The Angel bridge size cards group buy from Amazon Japan was majorly delayed for most because half the order went missing (twice) before all of the decks arrived to make everyone whole.

Moral of the story: If you're going to run a group buy for cards, opt for poker size decks.
Was the Angel bridge order Aristo, Club Poker, or other?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom