Another NLHE Hand From Thursday Night (4 Viewers)

MrCatPants

Full House
Reaction score
Another hand for discussion; .50/50 NLHE Hand

SB: HERO - image between TAG and LAG - $400
BB: Winningest player in the game; TAG - $250
UTG: Competent player with shades of a calling station - $120
MP: LAG - $500
HJ: Member so I won't post my thoughts on profile - $150
CO: Maniac who has been generally more LAGy tonight - $350
BTN: Member so I won't post my thoughts on profile - $250

UTG raises to $2
MP calls
HJ folds
CO calls
BTN calls

Pot is $9

Hero looks down at :th::5h:

Action on hero.

Okay so here’s my analysis of the hand thus far…

It’s a fold. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

So hero has the "is this an any two cards situation?" thought. This is a hand that even when something is hit it still never feels safe. That said, Hero is 3 bourbons in and decides might as well see a flop.

.50/50 NLHE Hand

UTG raises to $2
MP calls
HJ folds
CO calls
BTN calls

Pot is $9

Hero looks down at :th::5h: and CALLS the extra 1.50.
BB calls.

Flop is :9h::8h::7s:

Action on out of position moron Hero who now has a conundrum.

BB calls.

Action on out of position moron Hero who now has a conundrum.
Ok, so you didnt listen to me say fold, and you sure as hell didnt listen to me say Raise, so now listen to me here:

This is a great place to donk bet. This smashes your range, and puts your opponents in a very awkward position. Lead for 2/3 pot. Plans going forward:
-one or more players call: now we see a turn and play poker. If it's a favorable turn for our represented range, we bet again. If not, we probably have to check.
-If we get raised, we probably should fold. 3 bourbons has a way of messing with your continuation range. Long live bourbon.

Preflop I can make a justification for a call if you close the action. With another player behind to act I fold and go get another bourbon.

On this flop I will lead I lead into the field betting, betting $7. Let’s find out if J10 is out there early on.

Hero decides to check with so many players behind and potentially xR/squeeze or flat depending on the action.

.50/50 NLHE Hand

UTG raises to $2
MP calls
HJ folds
CO calls
BTN calls

Pot is $9

BB calls.

Hero CHECKS
BB Checks
UTG Bets $7
MP folds
CO folds
BTN calls $7

Pot is $23

Action on hero - facing $7 bet, with BB still to act behind.

Hero decides on the xR with only one caller to the preflop aggressor's lead. Also, correcting UTG's stack slightly.

.50/50 NLHE Hand

UTG: Competent player with shades of a calling station - $90

UTG raises to $2
MP calls
HJ folds
CO calls
BTN calls

Pot is $9

BB calls.

Hero checks
BB checks
UTG Bets $7
MP folds
CO folds
BTN calls $7
Hero raises to $30
UTG calls
BTN calls

Turn is :9h::8h::7s::3d:

UTG leads all in for $58
BTN calls
Action on Hero.

I think there is $218 in the pot and $58 to call so you’re getting just under 4:1 so need just over 20% equity to call. You have 16% equity with your OESD 8 outs alone. Maybe your FD outs are dirty, hard to tell.

Jamming on the 3 is curious as I don’t think 33 calls the X/R. Maybe Ah3h jamming with a pair and NFD?

I don’t think either villain had 2 pair plus on the flop as I think they would have re-raised your X/R with the FD on board. I can’t see middle set just flatting here as a draw is a primary X/R candidate here. Blocking top and bottom ends of the straight draw, I’m guessing someone has a strong FD maybe NFD and someone has a PP say 66 or TT. I can’t see 9x jamming or calling a jam here.

BN calling is super strong with you behind and interesting that he didn’t over jam to drive you out of the pot. This makes me put BN on a strong draw maybe with a pair. I think a set would over jam in case your drawing to deny your equity.

If you’re up against these two types of hands your FD outs aren’t good and 2 of your 8 OESD outs are gone so you don’t have the equity required to call. Sadly I think with BN calling this is a fold.

If Hero is three bourbons in are our two Villains equally lubricated? If so then logic may go out the window.

Screw it. Call. Rebuy or suck out. Either way have another bourbon. But make it good bourbon.
But which one?

16357207456812633192843158857107.jpg

I think there is $218 in the pot and $58 to call so you’re getting just under 4:1 so need just over 20% equity to call. You have 16% equity with your OESD 8 outs alone. Maybe your FD outs are dirty, hard to tell.

Jamming on the 3 is curious as I don’t think 33 calls the X/R. Maybe Ah3h jamming with a pair and NFD?

I don’t think either villain had 2 pair plus on the flop as I think they would have re-raised your X/R with the FD on board. I can’t see middle set just flatting here as a draw is a primary X/R candidate here. Blocking top and bottom ends of the straight draw, I’m guessing someone has a strong FD maybe NFD and someone has a PP say 66 or TT. I can’t see 9x jamming or calling a jam here.

BN calling is super strong with you behind and interesting that he didn’t over jam to drive you out of the pot. This makes me put BN on a strong draw maybe with a pair. I think a set would over jam in case your drawing to deny your equity.

If you’re up against these two types of hands your FD outs aren’t good and 2 of your 8 OESD outs are gone so you don’t have the equity required to call. Sadly I think with BN calling this is a fold.

If Hero is three bourbons in are our two Villains equally lubricated? If so then logic may go out the window.
Do you see J10 from either player with the action? If so there's a good chance I only have chop outs and flush outs may be no good too.

Maybe either player has JTo here but I would think they would re-raise your flop X/R big to try and deny equity to a FD here.
If UTG just called the X/R with JTo he could be heavy sighing that the FD didnt come in and jamming here.
That could make sense.

Edit: I would think BN would raise flop and over jam turn with JTo. Why let you come along at a good price to draw if you are on the heart draw? I cant see BN playing JTo this passively and letting the other two players realize their equity.

Last edited:
Maybe either player has JTo here but I would think they would re-raise your flop X/R big to try and deny equity to a FD here.
If UTG just called the X/R with JTo he could be heavy sighing that the FD didnt come in and jamming here.
That could make sense.

Edit: I would think BN would raise flop and over jam turn with JTo. Why let you come along at a good price to draw if you are on the heart draw? I cant see BN playing JTo this passively and letting the other two players realize their equity.
I had the same thought. Just wondering what utg gets so aggro with. I have the 10 of hearts so hands like a10 king10 jack 10 of hearts aren't out there. Maybe overplaying an overpair? Maybe button on two pair or bottom end of the straight?

Does this look like a reasonable UTG opening range? I dont have JTo in 8 max UTG RFI range.

1635731568057.png

6 players, pot is $12 and V cbets just over 1/2 pot into 5 players on flop :9h::8h::7s::

:ah::kh:, :ah::qh:, :ah::jh:, :ah::5h:, :ah::4h:, :ah::3h:
:kh::qh:, :kh::jh:
:qh::jh:
:as::ts:, :ks::ts:, :qs::ts:, :js::ts:
:ad::td:, :kd::td:, :qd::td:, :jd::td:
:ac::tc:, :kc::tc:, :qc::tc:, :jc::tc:
AA, KK, QQ, JJ, TT, 99, 88
you block :ah::th:
flop blocks :ah::9h:

You X/R and V calls with BN behind. First lets remove the hands I think he would raise with the FD on the flop:
AA, KK, QQ everyone pre flatted so AA, KK are out of the field caller's range so safe here to raise KK & QQ to deny equity if you have a draw
99, 88 re-raise to deny equity if you have a draw

So hands that call the X/R (dont re-raise):
:as::ts:, :ks::ts:, :qs::ts:, :js::ts:
:ad::td:, :kd::td:, :qd::td:, :jd::td:
:ac::tc:, :kc::tc:, :qc::tc:, :jc::tc:
JJ, TT

Now looking at your raise, you can have 77, 88, 99, TT which I think would raise flop with a FD
You can also have straight and flush draws which would raise here
I dont think you would be raising an overpair - this X/R is polarizing and an overpair is a medium strength hand on this flop.

Turn is a :3d: (which is a brick) and he jams. Seems like he isnt scared of a set here; There are only 9 combos of sets in your range and far more flush and straight draw combos. If you were X/R with a draw you didnt possibly complete it on this card. Does he jam here with his entire range knowing that you missed and are likely to fold to a jam? I dont know that he jams non-NFDs, so maybe he jams:

:as::ts:
JJ, TT

If this is his range you are well behind it, and BN called the jam. It is a fold IMHO.
If BN hadnt called it would probably be a call given the odds and your equity.

1635733371462.png

Last edited:
Does this look like a reasonable UTG opening range? I dont have JTo in 8 max UTG RFI range.

View attachment 803649

6 players, pot is $12 and V cbets just over 1/2 pot into 5 players:

AA, KK, QQ, JJ, TT, 99, 88
you block :ah::th:
flop blocks :ah::9h:

You X/R and V calls with BN behind. First lets remove the hands I think he would raise with the FD on the flop:
AA, KK, QQ everyone pre flatted so AA, KK are out of the field caller's range so safe here to raise KK & QQ to deny equity if you have a draw
99, 88 re-raise to deny equity if you have a draw

So hands that call the X/R (dont re-raise):
JJ, TT

Now looking at your raise, you can have 77, 88, 99, TT which I think would raise flop with a FD
You can also have straight and flush draws which would raise here
I dont think you would be raising an overpair - this X/R is polarizing and an overpair is a medium strength hand on this flop.

Turn is a :3d: (which is a brick) and he jams. Seems like he isnt scared of a set here; There are only 9 combos of sets in your range and far more flush and straight draw combos. If you were X/R with a draw you didnt possibly complete it on this card. Does he jam here with his entire range knowing that you missed and are likely to fold to a jam? I dont know that he jams non-NFDs, so maybe he jams:

JJ, TT

If this is his range you are well behind it, and BN called the jam. It is a fold IMHO.
If BN hadnt called it would probably be a call.

View attachment 803656
I'd probably give him jj through aa as well. Type of guy who would continue barreling overpairs on a super connected board.

You dont think he would re-raise your flop X/R with AA, KK, QQ with a FD on flop?
Noone 3! pre so the callers ranges should not have AA, KK making AA, KK, QQ a good re-raise on flop.

In any case - if you folded, I think it was a good fold. If the BN hadnt called the jam in between I think a call would have been OK.
If I'm drawing in a 3 way all in on the river I'm in trouble! Someone has the goods and it isnt me!

You dont think he would re-raise your flop X/R with AA, KK, QQ with a FD on flop?
Noone 3! pre so the callers ranges should not have AA, KK making AA, KK, QQ a good re-raise on flop.
No. Too connected of a board. My game sees 0 3 bets post flop without the nuts.

So upon review, I agree this should be fold given the action. Highly likely we are 'behind' on both draws compared to the other two players.

That said, I called, and the near perfect card hits. The question on this last street is if I should value bet (and what size) or check and let button try to bluff (or bet into a chop).

.50/50 NLHE Hand

UTG: Competent player with shades of a calling station - $90

UTG raises to $2
MP calls
HJ folds
CO calls
BTN calls

Pot is $9

BB calls.

Hero checks
BB checks
UTG Bets $7
MP folds
CO folds
BTN calls $7
Hero raises to $30
UTG calls
BTN calls

Turn is :9h::8h::7s::3d:

Hero checks
UTG leads all in for $58
BTN calls
Hero CALLS

Pot is approximately $270. UTG is all in - button has about $170 left.

River is :9h::8h::7s::3d::jd:

Action on hero.

I think you have shown strength and BN has been passive. You X/R, he called. My concern would be that he has a medium strength hand like 66 which has SD value but missed his draw so he will X behind. I'd put him all in here and hope he has enough SDV to call.

Pot is approximately $270. UTG is all in - button has about $170 left.

River is :9h::8h::7s::3d::jd:

Action on hero.
You have somewhere around 2/3 pot bet left. Put it in, don't wait for him to do it. He would be incorrect with most any hand he got this far with to fold...he pretty much has to call anything that could win sometimes. If you check and he checks back 2 pair or a set, that would be awful. If he folds, he has a draw he missed, or a tight fold with A9 or similar.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom