Another hand from Thursday night (PLO this time) (1 Viewer)

MrCatPants

Full House
Reaction score
.50/.50 PLO with a $1 rock, which is in play on this hand.

SB: Winningest player at the game, TAG - $200
BB: Solid player, active river bluffer but TAG-ish otherwise - $300
UTG: Has the rock, solid player with shades of a calling station - $250
MP: LAG - $550
LJ: Member so I won't post my thoughts on profile - $100
HJ: Maniac who has been generally more LAG tonight - $250
CO: Member so I won't post my thoughts on profile - $200
BTN: Hero, most handsome player at the table with a image between TAG and LAG - $350

SB in for .50
BB in for .50
UTG in for the rock ($1)
MP raises to $2
LJ folds
HJ calls $2
CO calls $2
Hero looks down at :as::qs::jh::5h:

Action on hero.

I pot this in absolute position. Interested to here what the people that can actually play this hand say.

Playing a ~3 card hand is always a disadvantage - and the J high flush draw likely won't end up as more than blockers - so I call in position.

BTN: Hero, most handsome player at the table with a image between TAG and LAG - $350

SB in for .50
BB in for .50
UTG in for the rock ($1)
MP raises to $2
LJ folds
HJ calls $2
CO calls $2
Hero CALLS $2
SB folds
BB completes to $2
UTG completes to $2

Pot is $12.50

Flop comes: :ah::ac::8d:

BB leads for $8
UTG folds
MP calls $8
HJ folds
CO folds
Action on hero.

SB in for .50
BB in for .50
UTG in for the rock ($1)
MP raises to $2
LJ folds
HJ calls $2
CO calls $2

Action on hero.
Well it ain't gonna pot itself

Playing a ~3 card hand is always a disadvantage - and the J high flush draw likely won't end up as more than blockers - so I call in position.

SB in for .50
BB in for .50
UTG in for the rock ($1)
MP raises to $2
LJ folds
HJ calls $2
CO calls $2
Hero CALLS $2
SB folds
BB completes to $2
UTG completes to $2

Pot is $12.50

BB leads for $8
UTG folds
MP calls $8
HJ folds
CO folds
Action on hero.
I just call here and evaluate turns. Either one could have 88 or A8.

Hero flats given the action. Either BB or MP just unhappily found out both aces are accounted for with whatever they are playing.

SB in for .50
BB in for .50
UTG in for the rock ($1)
MP raises to $2
LJ folds
HJ calls $2
CO calls $2
Hero CALLS $2
SB folds
BB completes to $2
UTG completes to $2

Pot is $12.50

BB leads for $8
UTG folds
MP calls $8
HJ folds
CO folds
Hero CALLS $8

Pot is 36.50

Turn comes: :ah::ac::8d::5c: bringing hero the 2nd best boat

BB leads for $15
MP folds (guess we know who didn't have an ace)
Action on Hero

This one isn't rocket science. Hero calls. Question is what sizing for the raise on the river?

Hero flats given the action. Either BB or MP just unhappily found out both aces are accounted for with whatever they are playing.

SB in for .50
BB in for .50
UTG in for the rock ($1)
MP raises to $2
LJ folds
HJ calls $2
CO calls $2
Hero CALLS $2
SB folds
BB completes to $2
UTG completes to $2

Pot is $12.50

BB leads for $8
UTG folds
MP calls $8
HJ folds
CO folds
Hero CALLS $8

Pot is 36.50

Turn comes: :ah::ac::8d::5c: bringing hero the 2nd best boat

BB leads for $15
MP folds (guess we know who didn't have an ace)
Hero calls for $15

Pot is 66.50

River comes a beautiful :ah::ac::8d::5c: :qh:

BB leads for $25
Action (clearly a raise, but to what amount?) on hero.

$80 total seems pretty sweet. Pot sized bet feels a bit big (~$116 total). Will A8 make a crying call there to PSB?

Are we putting villain on exactly A8? We are assuming villain has trip Aces at least. Could have 88. Anything less will be difficult to get a call from for any sort of raise.

$80 total seems pretty sweet. Pot sized bet feels a bit big (~$116 total). Will A8 make a crying call there to PSB?

Are we putting villain on exactly A8? We are assuming villain has trip Aces at least. Could have 88. Anything less will be difficult to get a call from for any sort of raise.
pot is $141.50 (calculation for pot is always 3x bet plus whatever was in the pot before the bet).

I agree - I didn't see how he would have anything less than AAAKx here. That said, I don't know that you can call a river raise here without a boat the way it has played - especially a big one. To me though, he was telegraphing either A8 or AAA 2 over cards to an 8 that missed with his bet sequencing. Was not thinking he'd call a raise to pot of about $140 necessarily accordingly.

Pre I think a 3bet is appropriate. A LAG opened pretty small, everyone is deep with hero on BTN, and this isn’t really a 3-card hand. Build the pot! That said I understand the call and don’t hate it either.

As played flop and turn are calls. On the river if you raise big you are polarized, but do you really have enough bluffs in your range? I think a smaller raise makes more sense, something like $35 on top. Although raising any amount just seems really strong.

Raised to $75. Got a sigh and then a snap call. He had AK86, so I rivered him. Not sure how high I could have gone though before it looked clearly like the nuts and that's it.

I like everything about this hand. Well done. Also, rock games are fun.

I definitely prefer calling pre to raising. If the five weren't suited this hand is a 3-legged dog and can be tossed. This is playable, but not far from the line.

The flop does show why the 5 is a bit of a liability. You have six outs to redraw against A8. If all your cards were broadways you would have 9 outs. Still I think the call is reasonable there is only one other ace somewhere and I don't think villain HAS to have a full house to bet.

I like calling the turn. You may be good, but not much worse can call and nothing better will fold. You are beating the overplayed AAAx hands and the 88 underfill now. But those hands may not stand a raise.

On the river obviously it's the nuts with hero blocking quads. I like the small raise here but seeing what villain had, you may have gotten more if he suffers from "entitlement tilt" and will pay off in frustration.

Overall, nice hand.

I like everything about this hand. Well done. Also, rock games are fun.

I definitely prefer calling pre to raising. If the five weren't suited this hand is a 3-legged dog and can be tossed. This is playable, but not far from the line.

The flop does show why the 5 is a bit of a liability. You have six outs to redraw against A8. If all your cards were broadways you would have 9 outs. Still I think the call is reasonable there is only one other ace somewhere and I don't think villain HAS to have a full house to bet.

I like calling the turn. You may be good, but not much worse can call and nothing better will fold. You are beating the overplayed AAAx hands and the 88 underfill now. But those hands may not stand a raise.

On the river obviously it's the nuts with hero blocking quads. I like the small raise here but seeing what villain had, you may have gotten more if he suffers from "entitlement tilt" and will pay off in frustration.

Overall, nice hand.
I love "entitlement tilt" - never heard that one before.

PREFLOP: I agree with the call, we have a loose group of players in the field and can see a flop multiway from the most advantageous position on the button. PLO is an extremely flop dependent game and we don't want to give up our skill edge when deep-stacked by getting stacks in preflop where our less-skilled opponents are making smaller mistakes given that equities run so close. Our hand is solid, but it's not a knock it out of the ballpark type holding

FLOP: A call is fine here, the bettor is a solid TAG, so for him to lead this flop into so many players is going to polarize him to A8xx or probably at worst AKxx. He may have 88xx here and is trying to get money in while he's ahead as well, although he's going to have to fade some scary turns and rivers OOP when he runs into someone who has the Ace. MP coming along shows that somebody is lying here given we have an Ace as well

TURN: Again, a call is fine. We have position and we don't have the nuts, so proceeding with caution and exercising pot control is fine deepstacked

RIVER: Interesting that your opponent continues to lead this river. If he's trying to block-bet to set his own price it's a fools errand, if you have him beat you're going to raise his block bet. So he most likely puts you on an Ace and is trying to set a price you're willing to pay when you haven't filled up. Your raise size to $75 is fine. Sometimes I'll min-click back in this spot, forcing them into a crying call, sometimes I'll pot it, really depends on the opponent.

Overall I think you played this well

In PLO, raising the river is always telling the story that you have the nuts. It's always up to the opponent to decide how often this story is truthful. That's why the sizing discussion is really the question on the river. There is no reason for hero to flat, anything he can collect is a windfall. It's just hero has one chance to set his price and doesn't want to miss a chance to collect by over pricing.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom