Another good session of 1/2 tonight, K9 key hand (1 Viewer)

Anthony Martino

Royal Flush
Reaction score
Tagging @k9dr your hand featured prominantly in my night

Started my 1/2 session down about 50 bucks but managed to leave my first table +$185 before it broke

When a seat finally opened up again I had a couple of key hands against the same player that got me flush with cash

First hand I raised pre to $15 after a couple limpers holding :as::ac: and he was the only caller from the SB

Flop was :js::jd::7s: and he led for $25 and I called

Turn :5s:

He bets $50, I call

River :3d:

He bets $100. I think how this reminds me of @Ben trying to bluff me and figure he isn't putting me on Aces.

I ask him "if I show will you fold" and when his answer and smile seem forced I decide to go with my read and call

I make the call and he turns over :kh::9d:

I'm not sure what he was thinking preflop calling OOP with that, guess he had just decided he was going to bluff someone come hell or high water

Later there is a new hispanic kid, late 20's or early 30's who sat down. Flat-brimmed ballcap with the sticker still on it, only guy wearing shades

I very rarely straddle, hadn't at all tonight, although a few others had, but I opted to on the button when it was his BB. Wanted to get a feel for him early since I already knew the rest of the table

So anyway, tons of callers and on the button I see :kd::9h: and check my option

Flop comes :th::js::qc: and the kid leads for $12, then the guy I caught bluffing earlier makes it $27, I opt to smooth call

Turn is a brick, kid checks, older guy bets $50 and I call, kid folds

River another brick, old guy bets a hundo

I didn't think I had a ton of value in raising since it would be a shove and I don't think he can call me with worse. And some of these 1/2 players will just call preflop with AK

I called and he confidently turns over JT for 2 pair and I reveal my straight

Turned $200 into $761 tonight, and into $567 last night. Pretty solid weekend

Screenshot_20180414-234814.jpg

Good line, and good read. I might have to use this line sometime.

Yeah, it's something I made up that works really well. It catches a lot of people off guard because they expect you to ask "if I fold, will you show"

So when they realize what you actually said it causes them to usually give away how comfortable they are. If their smile and demeanor is relaxed and genuine, they typically have a hand they're comfortable with. If their smile or response seems forced, then you can usually feel comfortable raising or calling them in those spots.

Why not raise the turn on the second hand? Are you really that scared of AK? Lots of lesser value hands can call you that would otherwise shut down on the river.

Last edited:
Why not raise the turn on the second hand? Are you really that scared of AK? Lots of letter value hands can call you that may shut down on the river.

Well, in these 1/2 games there are a good number of players that never raise AK, they just don't believe in it

Plus, this particular players propensity to bluff (he had called a $15 raise earlier with K9 oop, then fired a three barrel bluff) made me feel like he couldn't really pay me off if I raised

I probably missed value since he may have been fishy enough with bottom two pair on the flop to go broke

I guess I was just thinking my hand was really disguised and I'd let him keep bluffing into me on the turn, but I should have shoved the river

Last edited:
Definitely think that you missed some value, if not on the Turn definitely on the River:

[1] "Tons of callers" should definitely incentivize AK to at least raise it up. Also, he seems to be in EP in which case higher frequency expectation of him raising here, thus further discounting AK;

[2] You have a K blocker, knocking his AK combos down;

His few remaining combos of AK represent a small % of his range that beats your essential nuts (too late to do the math). That being said, great hands and thanks for sharing.

Repo

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom