...And there goes my Marraige (and my wallet) (2 Viewers)

Trihonda

Straight Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
I posted in another thread about doing a lighted rail table. A regional builder is going to do a kit for me, selling me the lumber (100% ply) cut out utilizing his CNC machine. I do the upholstery and the assembly and BAM! The price is right, so I figured I'd steal a phrase from Jean Luc Picard and "Make it so".

Here's the problem. I can get an entire YAT kit for around $200, but thought I'm doing a lighted rail table, why go with standard diffuser and plain SSC, why not do it up right with a custom Aluminum Diffuser and Cloth from Tony (ie. Chanman)...? His work is outstanding!!!

Then I started pricing out my custom table... Yikes, $200 plus just for the aluminum diffuser, $130 for the cloth. I'd still need a nice base (wasn't included in the lumber deal), and the LED lighting. My super cheap lighted table was fast getting out of hand. My wife... She ain't gonna go for this.

THEN... introduce my good buddy p5woody (damn him). He mocked me up a real rough concept for a custom cloth. Now, there's NO WAY I can go with SSC... It's custom, and this table is gonna break my bank account (and likely my marriage, lol).

My Custom Aluminum Diffuser will likely read "Fat Tire Poker" and be separated by a bike cutout design, and will repeat.

Here's the few mocks p5woody sent me. I'd like feedback on the designs, colors, etc...

A few of my initial observations:

I think the tire tread betting line is the nutz (hard to see in the mocks, but blown up, it's actually tire treads).

I've already decided that the text on the sides needs to face outwards.

I love the red color scheme, but I worry that the white/bright red contrast will make it hard to see chips (they’ll get lost). I sometimes think custom cloths are too busy, ya know? The gray/white/black felts seem like a great balance of contrast, and colors that won’t lose chips.

I am almost for sure doing black rail vinyl.

Before deciding on doing a custom felt, the question was what color to go with for SSC. The short list included Black, Platinum, or my normal Blackberry. I like the deep red blackberry color, but I’m not opposed to black. I’m not sure how these colors translate onto a gaming suede…

Your thoughts on colors? How about a combo of colors? With the center (betting area) being a slightly different (but not starkly contrasted) color?

FT%20Table%20Mock.jpg

FT%20Table%20Mock%202.jpg

FT%20Table%20Mock%203.jpg

99bee46d01f69af935c69f5edacb4168.jpg

Last edited:
I'm leaning towards the grey one. It looks great and will still allow all the cards and chips to be very visible. I love the look of black tables, but every speck of dust or whatever really shows on them. I built a table for a client with a black cloth from Chan, and that was the only downside he mentioned about the black.

blue or the last gray one in updated pics, other ones are too busy imo

I think the bottom one would make it so all the chips pop! They look amazing btw

As others have already mentioned, I would steer away from black cloth completely -- even just the center section being black will show lint like crazy.

Of all the designs posted so far, I prefer the original blue. But given the nature of your neon-based logo, I think a combo blue/red design -- original blue table design with black betting line tire treads and scroll-thingies but with the red/white logo circle -- might actually capture that 'Fat Tire' feel/look better. Might have p5woody mock up one along those lines....

That blue is the nuts. The red is also great. Hell they're all great.

How much was aluminum diffuser?

NVM... missed the "$200 plus just for the aluminum diffuser"... :)

Last edited:
I really like the red and the blue... I think the ombre (color gradient) does a lot for the look, and since it doesn't change the price of printing the cloth, do it.

If budget is really a problem, I'd say skip the lighting and diffuser, but do the custom cloth. The lights look cool at night, but you have to deal with a power cable, and they don't do much in a day game, and thry don't they do that much actual lighting in a night game... But the custom cloth, well-designed, just oozes class, day and night.

Last edited:
I'm kinda partial to the original gray, maybe with the fade effect you see on the blue, too.

Agree with spike it, grey and black with red bet line.

The fat tire theme is a great idea. I like the logo with the bike.

I like the original grey. (And the last grey). Personally I think you might consider losing the lettering at either end. Might make for a cleaner look. Think the grey will help the chips pop!

At this point, seeing as though your wife is already going to leave you. Have you considered putting your money into a convertible table top? By this I mean a poker table that Chanman could make that would double as a coffin. Like a Pharaoh, you are going to want to take everything that matters with you. Maybe make a drawer compartment for all the chipes...

As others have already mentioned, I would steer away from black cloth completely -- even just the center section being black will show lint like crazy.

Of all the designs posted so far, I prefer the original blue. But given the nature of your neon-based logo, I think a combo blue/red design -- original blue table design with black betting line tire treads and scroll-thingies but with the red/white logo circle -- might actually capture that 'Fat Tire' feel/look better. Might have p5woody mock up one along those lines....

As others have pointed out, the blue looks amazing.mhowever, BG nailed it, in that this color really doesn't fit with the color,scheme of the original inspiration, nor my game room decor. I really like the red (matches my decor), but think it's a bit much.

C2809490-984A-427C-811A-F3FA0A6396F3.jpg

And though I really like the black look, I will take people's advice and steer away from it due to lint issues, etc. The gray seems like a front runner, and now I am contemplating accents. Maybe a gray table, darker gray center, and red middle logo and red betting line? I love the red/white center logo, but think that's a bit loud/busy for a poker table. Possibly a red center logo with light gray background (instead of white)?

omg, I am now hunting around for a new sign For my game room... Sickness. Srsly

As others have pointed out, the blue looks amazing.mhowever, BG nailed it, in that this color really doesn't fit with the color,scheme of the original inspiration, nor my game room decor. I really like the red (matches my decor), but think it's a bit much.

C2809490-984A-427C-811A-F3FA0A6396F3.jpg

And though I really like the black look, I will take people's advice and steer away from it due to lint issues, etc. The gray seems like a front runner, and now I am contemplating accents. Maybe a gray table, darker gray center, and red middle logo and red betting line? I love the red/white center logo, but think that's a bit loud/busy for a poker table. Possibly a red center logo with light gray background (instead of white)?

omg, I am now hunting around for a new sign For my game room... Sickness. Srsly

lose the 70s couch and go with the blue table :)

...Maybe a gray table, darker gray center, and red middle logo and red betting line?...

^^^Yup. Mock it up!

Sweet room, man. It is screaming for a pool table though. :) Must be nice to have that much room.

Blue, that would be my choice. I two am building a lighted table, and have spent about 200 (got a discount on SSC, padding, and free Ply wood) good luck with the build..

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom