Anatomy of an RFID Chip (2 Viewers)

Quicksilver-75

4 of a Kind
Reaction score
Due to an unfortunate error on my behalf I decided to post this so as to have some good come from this atrocity.

IMG_20141208_141416.jpgIMG_20141208_141451.jpg

Nestled between two dense foam(?) bright green layers is a very thin black layer that houses the RFID chip.
The green layers have an extremely thin layer of chip clay on which the inlay can be heat sealed. I'm assuming the green has some kind of heat resistant property to protect the microchip.

IMG_20141208_141546.jpgIMG_20141208_141652.jpg

Once fully apart the black encasement reveals the shape of the chip. All in all the microchip layer is an incredible 0.0195" thick! Unfortunately I couldn't find a way to pry apart the layers of the heat sealed, Area 51 inspired mystery composition of the black covering.

IMG_20141208_141817.jpgIMG_20141208_141830.jpgIMG_20141208_141944.jpg

I really wanted to see the chip so .....

IMG_20141208_144341.jpg

Other than the cooper ring I was able to peel up the microchip itself is more than just sandwiched between the layers of carbon-fibre. It has become part of them and alas remained a secret..

I've been waiting for this post for a long time. Thanks! :)

Generic RFID tags (microchip + coil antenna)

High_Quality_RFID_Antenna_Coil.jpg

ISO14443A_Round_25mm_RFID_Coil_Antenna.jpg

One day we'll be able to purchase custom RFID chips......maybe

Thanks for sacrificing. Did you know it had an RFID or did you see it after the accident?

Thanks for posting. Nice photos. It's actually more involved than I would have thought.

Very cool. Thanks for posting. Are you willing to share the events that led to this discovery? :)

Very cool. Thanks for posting. Are you willing to share the events that led to this discovery? :)

It is both painful and embarrassing. I was attempting to mill out the center to accommodate a label. I have done soooo many already but with this one, in a split second I was drawn to look at my foot because of something I stepped on and *pop*. My damn Costanza'd elbow went off and blew through. Even at the lowest rpm possible the little heat generated makes the clay very supple. The weird layering of this particular chip didn't help either.

It is both painful and embarrassing. I was attempting to mill out the center to accommodate a label. I have done soooo many already but with this one, in a split second I was drawn to look at my foot because of something I stepped on and *pop*. My damn Costanza'd elbow went off and blew through. Even at the lowest rpm possible the little heat generated makes the clay very supple. The weird layering of this particular chip didn't help either.

Isn't that how great discoveries are made though? By making "mistakes" :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom