An Aussie in Normandy: WW2 Battlefield Tour - September 2022 (1 Viewer)

Phantom

Full House
Reaction score
I have had a keen interest in military history since I was a young fella. It began with WW2 aircraft, then WW2 proper (predominantly European/Med theatres), then the Great War (WW1) that led to me writing about my family in that terrible conflict.

My family fought with the Doughboys in the Great War, my Grandfather was in the Pacific in WW2, and my Dad did a tour of Vietnam alongside the 'Yanks'. It is safe to say that I have a great deal of affection for the Yanks - their sense of duty, courage, determination and a real heart for service. The soldiers, sailors, paratroopers, the Marines, the Fighter Jocks and Bomber boys among many - so inspiring.

It had always been a goal of mine to walk the sands of one of your most hallowed battlefields - Omaha Beach. I did just that in September just gone. It was a real honour to pay my respects to the soldiers, sailors and airmen who stormed the beaches and landing grounds and suffered terrible losses. I wanted to share some pics with you. God bless America.

IMG_4244A.JPG
IMG_4270.JPG
IMG_4310A.JPG
IMG_4338.JPG
IMG_4348A.JPG
IMG_4441A.JPG
IMG_4505A.JPG
IMG_4571.JPG
IMG_4583.JPG
IMG_4633.JPG
IMG_4682A.jpg
IMG_4697A.jpg
IMG_4699A.jpg

One of the small blessings from the lockdown was getting to walk through the shores and battles of Normany on D Day. Such a huge historical day and we were the only ones there besides employees.

Walking in silence and hearing the waves in such a gorgeous backdrop with reminders of the massive loss of life that took place there, it's hauntingly beautiful. Looks like an awesome trip and well enjoyed!

Man, that would have been something. I was really blessed with fine weather and not too many people

Awesome photos thanks for sharing. Would love to see the battlefield in France one day. Both WWI and WWII.

I recently earned about some of the Austrailian experience in WWII particularly around the Kakota trail in New Guinea. Dan Carlin covered it in his recent podcast series on the war in the pacific called Supernova in the East. The fighting in New Guinea qualifies as some of the fiercest in the whole war, under some of the most difficult circumstances and in the most difficult terrain imaginable.

Next stop Greece, especially Crete? :)
If I had the time and $$$ that would definitely be on the itinerary :) you sure know your WW2 Aussie history :)
You went to St. Mere Eglise, wow fantastic!

Any closeups of the paratrooper?
Sure did, will post a few more pics in pop him in .
Awesome photos thanks for sharing. Would love to see the battlefield in France one day. Both WWI and WWII.

I recently earned about some of the Austrailian experience in WWII particularly around the Kakota trail in New Guinea. Dan Carlin covered it in his recent podcast series on the war in the pacific called Supernova in the East. The fighting in New Guinea qualifies as some of the fiercest in the whole war, under some of the most difficult circumstances and in the most difficult terrain imaginable.
Mate, the Pacific was just brutal. I also recently read about the Marines through Eugene Sledge’s book ‘With the Old Breed’. Talk about hell on earth.
I don’t know much about the Pacific War, but I’m starting to learn more.

Mate, the Pacific was just brutal. I also recently read about the Marines through Eugene Sledge’s book ‘With the Old Breed’. Talk about hell on earth.
I don’t know much about the Pacific War, but I’m starting to learn more.
That's an amazing book. Another great one to consider if you liked that one is “a helmet for my pillow”. It's the first war memoir I ever insisted my wife read.

Helmet for My Pillow: From Parris Island to the Pacific https://a.co/d/fJRzPq3

If you know of any first hand Australian accounts similar to these American accounts, I would love to read them.

That's an amazing book. Another great one to consider if you liked that one is “a helmet for my pillow”. It's the first war memoir I ever insisted my wife read.

Helmet for My Pillow: From Parris Island to the Pacific https://a.co/d/fJRzPq3

If you know of any first hand Australian accounts similar to these American accounts, I would love to read them.
I have Robert Leckie's book right beside me and it is next in line after the book I just started (one on Monash). Can't wait to get into Helmet for my Pillow. I will then have to actually watch 'The Pacific' instead of clips on YouTube haha ;)

The other thing I love about Sledge's account is how their language changed after being exposed to the Aussies. They were calling each other 'mate' and 'cobber'. I just loved all these guys. My heart really swells when I see how all our boys look after each other in dire moments. The First Marine Division has the 'Southern Cross' on their patch, and they march out to 'Waltzing Matilda'.

Mate, I'll have a look and see what Aussie memoirs there are. I can't think of any off the top of my head, but as I said, Pacific War has never been a real interest of mine until recently.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom