Americans can’t say Glasgow (1 Viewer)

Just saw Joe Biden making an arse of saying “Glasgow”.

Any American I’ve met (apart from @One Eyed Dollar) says the “gow” part wrong*

It’s “gow” as in “show”

Not “gow” as in “cow”

If anyone sees Joe gonna tell him? :wtf:

It does my f***ing head in!! :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

* @One Eyed Dollar prefers Dundee to Glasgow so I’ve lost all respect for him

Don't get your kilt all ruffled!

USA USA USA!

By the way, how is a non-English native speaker supposed to pronounce "choir" if he sees that word in writing, whithout having ever heard it?
F*ckin c*nt language:)
Google translate can say things
listen.png

It’s “gow” as in “show”

Not “gow” as in “cow”

Maybe in 49 states but in Kentucky we have a town of Glasgow named after the original and pronounced the same way. Even have their own Highland Games.

Just don’t ask us how we pronounce Athens or Versailles.

Maybe in 49 states but in Kentucky we have a town of Glasgow named after the original and pronounced the same way. Even have their own Highland Games.

We have several of your fried chicken restaurants here in Glasgow. The circle is complete :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

All I know is that free-balling, skirt-wearing dude looks and sounds like a Bond villain. Bet that creepy fucker chopped that poor girl up after the video stopped recording.
He sounds like he’s from a posh bit. Probably one of those guys who had a surname for a first name like Campbell or Farquar :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

It’s “gow” as in “show”

Not “gow” as in “cow”

Can we just call it UK? So much easier to pronounce. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Amazing how varied UK accents are, in such a relatively small geographical area. Basically, London to Glasgow is about as far of a drive as from the southeast corner of Iowa, to the northwest corner. And from Ohio to Idaho, people sound basically the same.

I feel your pain. My city has several towns who's names are constantly butchered.

Irondequoit
Chili
Charlotte
LeRoy

Nobody gets them right

Yes, I got a lesson in Scottish pronunciation when we visited a couple years ago. Inverness, IL is close to where I live and pronounced INVUR nuss in midwestern/Illinois accent. The second syllable is an afterthought. Apparently when we were visiting Inverness, Scotland...I offended and was corrected by an older dude there that I was pronouncing it incorrectly and that it was invair NESS with the second syllable emphasized and proper vowel sounds.

c*nt.

We had our own Versailles too back in Indiana and a few more like it. @AllHoosier probably knows what I'm talking about. A dozen years here in Arizona and I still can't get used to Ah-wah-TOO-kee and PRES-kitt.

Amazing how varied UK accents are, in such a relatively small geographical area. Basically, London to Glasgow is about as far of a drive as from the southeast corner of Iowa, to the northwest corner. And from Ohio to Idaho, people sound basically the same.
40 miles in any direction and you’re met with a different accent over here.

Yes, I got a lesson in Scottish pronunciation when we visited a couple years ago. Inverness, IL is close to where I live and pronounced INVUR nuss in midwestern/Illinois accent. The second syllable is an afterthought. Apparently when we were visiting Inverness, Scotland...I offended and was corrected by an older dude there that I was pronouncing it incorrectly and that it was invair NESS with the second syllable emphasized and proper vowel sounds.
Scotland’s pretty unique in that tourists offend us and we want them all to fuck off back home immediately :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

That’s proof that you’ve been here!

You’ve got a nerve picking on poor Joe when the average Glaswegian pronounces it ‘Glaz-gee’
If he pronounces it like that when he’s here we’ll give him the freedom of the city... well maybe not but I’ll give him a pizza crunch and a bottle of Irn Bru :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Dunno, but I did hear that a bunch of cunts started a new nagb and you need one to apply.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom