Am I out of touch (and if so I apologize)? Oh no "dibs" talk again! (1 Viewer)

Just FYI, shout out to @John Conor for being a good friend and upstanding guy. I know he 100% had the intention of buying the chips. It's just the wording that can be confusing, with people deciphering the word "dibs" in different ways. "Dibs for X" has been used as a "I think X is looking, but I'm not committing to buy these if he passes" by some people in the past which has led to misunderstandings. I've seen cases of "dibs for X", before and in the end both the dibsee and the dibser pass on actually buying the chips which is pretty annoying both for the seller and other potential buyers.

And edit to add: #chipperfirstworldproblems

I don't care how someone indicates they are purchasing chips, just that it is unambiguous and they follow through.

I do think calling dibs for someone else publicly should simply be handled in PMs, in order to avoid any issues and/or putting the seller in a potentially tough spot. Plus, that negates the need for threads like these despite the person's well-meaning intentions.

Finally, I don't get upset with buyers saying "dibs pending x" if it is something that should already be in the OP at the time of posting, whether that be pictures, prices, etc. The seller bears some of the responsibility there and needs to understand they are almost always going to cause issues by omitting these at the start, because people buy things in literal seconds here.

I don't care how someone indicates they are purchasing chips, just that it is unambiguous and they follow through.

I do think calling dibs for someone else publicly should simply be handled in PMs, in order to avoid any issues and/or putting the seller in a potentially tough spot. Plus, that negates the need for threads like these despite the person's well-meaning intentions.

Finally, I don't get upset with buyers saying "dibs pending x" if it is something that should already be in the OP at the time of posting, whether that be pictures, prices, etc. The seller bears some of the responsibility there and needs to understand they are almost always going to cause issues by omitting these at the start, because people buy things in literal seconds here.
When you say handle by PM - how? I think there's other issues when someone posts that they will take something and then a mysterious PM gets them instead.

When you say handle by PM - how? I think there's other issues when someone posts that they will take something and then a mysterious PM gets them instead.
I think PM should always be held above any post in the thread. Dibs or whatever is a courtesy, but not a requirement, imo.

I think PM should always be held above any post in the thread. Dibs or whatever is a courtesy, but not a requirement, imo.

If something is posted for sale. I say in the thread that I'll take it. Yet at the same time, or a few minutes later some says the same thing via PM but not in the thread. you think the person PM'ing should have priority?

Simply post the usual intent to buy in the thread such as "dibs", "I'll take em", "give me your goddamn chips", etc. and then follow that up with a PM. In that PM you can:

- state you did it for someone else but will purchase yourself regardless if that other person declines

- just pay for it immediately and then give the seller the other person's shipping address once confirmed

- make it a three-way PM if you already have a casual or friendly relationship with the other parties and be transparent about what is happening

In each instance, the chips are being purchased as committed to in the thread and there is nothing for anyone to balk at.

It's a requirement if the seller states as much in the OP. I personally prefer public stated intentions followed by PM due to having a visible time-stamp and for transparency, but it's up to the sellers to run things how they see fit. Best to specify either way in the original post to avoid any issues. I don't think I have ever seen an unlocked thread where a dibs was beaten out by a supposed PM not causing a little scuffle.

What if someone uses:

9ae1bc8658c823d6eae62470eefb2928.jpg

:D

I’m glad we’ve sorted this important issue out once and for all. I knew the eleventeenth time would be the charm. Well done sirs! Glad we can finally out this chapter behind us.

It is the subsequent PM by a different purchaser offering more money than the stated sales price intending to “outbid” someone who didn’t realize they should be bidding that I have led a campaign against.

Still, why post just "dibs". Why not say "I'll buy it" If you want to add for x person, then add it. Dibs is silly and confusing for the most part
In my experience here, seconds can sometines matter in the first come first serve ads "Dibs" while not as polite or triggering is shorter.

@mike32 : I can see where you're coming from Mike. As many have said, I think the confusion is what 'dibs' really means and how people use it.

I'm part of a few other online communities with heavy deals among members and the standard is to write BIN (Buy it Now), therefore committing to the purchase. PM deals are not allowed on those groups, for transparency. Hard, if not impossible, not monitor though.

Now, its doesn't bother in the least when I see "dibs" in one of my threads and in someone else's since, to me, it means absolutely nothing, specially if it is for someone else. Unless the the person commits to the purchase clearly, as I said, it's just thread clutter.

I can see how it can cause confusion though.

Dibs without photos. Pending price.
Haha...this is crazy to me. But I've spent too much time over on the Bourbon groups where they used "BIN"...which stands for Buy It Now. If someone said BIN, they are committed....there is no pending anything. If prices aren't posted or photos aren't there, then you're really taking a gamble by saying Dibs or BIN or whatever.

I agree with the OP though, I'm not a fan of dibs for a friend. You have to be willing to pay for it right then and there if you're saying dibs for a friend.

Dibs, mine, me, I’ll Take ‘em, whatever tickles your fancy - just make it clear - lol.

As for “dibs’ing” for someone else, I’ve seen it several times and didn’t personally have any issues with it. (even when I got out “dibs’ed” by it)

IMO it’s really up to the seller if THEY want to accept a dibs on behalf of someone else. They can make that decision. If the sale falls through to their disadvantage, again - that was their decision as the seller.

Personally, I think it’s cool to see chippers looking out for a friend.

Dibs, mine, me, I’ll Take ‘em, whatever tickles your fancy - just make it clear - lol.

As for “dibs’ing” for someone else, I’ve seen it several times and didn’t personally have any issues with it. (even when I got out “dibs’ed” by it)

IMO it’s really up to the seller if THEY want to accept a dibs on behalf of someone else. They can make that decision. If the sale falls through to their disadvantage, again - that was their decision as the seller.

Personally, I think it’s cool to see chippers looking out for a friend.
That's a great point. If "dibs" isn't even an official rule or technically binding in any way and it's 100% up to the seller to honor or not honor it - then who even cares?

That's a great point. If "dibs" isn't even an official rule or technically binding in any way and it's 100% up to the seller to honor or not honor it - then who even cares?
Yes, exactly. I think the accepted norm is that a “dibs” is binding. More in terms of one’s reputation on the forum, then in any true legal or contractual sense.

However, a dibs on behalf of someone, could be perceived as not being a firm commit as the other party has yet to acknowledge. In that instance, I think the seller would certainly have an option to not accept it, should they choose. Or clarify if it’s a firm commit to buy regardless of the other party.

Kinda like dibs if split, before a split has been priced or offered by the seller. The seller can elect to accept or not accept “preemptive” dibs - lol.

@mike32 : I can see where you're coming from Mike. As many have said, I think the confusion is what 'dibs' really means and how people use it.

I'm part of a few other online communities with heavy deals among members and the standard is to write BIN (Buy it Now), therefore committing to the purchase. PM deals are not allowed on those groups, for transparency. Hard, if not impossible, not monitor though.

Now, its doesn't bother in the least when I see "dibs" in one of my threads and in someone else's since, to me, it means absolutely nothing, specially if it is for someone else. Unless the the person commits to the purchase clearly, as I said, it's just thread clutter.

I can see how it can cause confusion though.

Haha...this is crazy to me. But I've spent too much time over on the Bourbon groups where they used "BIN"...which stands for Buy It Now. If someone said BIN, they are committed....there is no pending anything. If prices aren't posted or photos aren't there, then you're really taking a gamble by saying Dibs or BIN or whatever.

I agree with the OP though, I'm not a fan of dibs for a friend. You have to be willing to pay for it right then and there if you're saying dibs for a friend.
How does one find their way into said group? Looking for something specific.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom