Am I out of touch (and if so I apologize)? Oh no "dibs" talk again! (1 Viewer)

mike32

Full House
Supporter
Reaction score
For some reason the word "dibs" triggers me. I don't understand why people don't just say "I'll take that" or "I'll buy that". Another concept that escapes me is posting dibs for someone else in a for sale thread. Last night I stepped out of my normal boundaries and complained about posting dibs for others in a for sale thread. I guess I don't understand if a member posting "dibs for xxx" means I can no longer buy the item, or if the person who posted the "dibs for xxx" is obligated to buy the item if xxx doesn't want it after all.

In my mind posting dibs for others is totally wrong and creates a gray area that nobody really knows what to do with. I think in the minds of many members it is a really cool thing to do for a friend or a fellow chipper who may not be available to buy a particular item that very second but really wants it. These are big differences.

I was going to start a poll but I think a discussion including other people's takes on "dibs for others" would be interesting. If you guys change my mind it certainly would not be the first thing I had to admit I was wrong about!

I also want to apologize to @JWC for spamming up his sales thread with my complaints last night. Thanks for reading.

For some reason the word "dibs" triggers me. I don't understand why people don't just say "I'll take that" or "I'll buy that". Another concept that escapes me is posting dibs for someone else in a for sale thread. Last night I stepped out of my normal boundaries and complained about posting dibs for others in a for sale thread. I guess I don't understand if a member posting "dibs for xxx" means I can no longer buy the item, or if the person who posted the "dibs for xxx" is obligated to buy the item if xxx doesn't want it after all.

In my mind posting dibs for others is totally wrong and creates a gray area that nobody really knows what to do with. I think in the minds of many members it is a really cool thing to do for a friend or a fellow chipper who may not be available to buy a particular item that very second but really wants it. These are big differences.

I was going to start a poll but I think a discussion including other people's takes on "dibs for others" would be interesting. If you guys change my mind it certainly would not be the first thing I had to admit I was wrong about!

I also want to apologize to @JWC for spamming up his sales thread with my complaints last night. Thanks for reading.

Dibs...........

I agree with you 100% Mike. If you're calling dibs for someone. In my opinion you are responsible for buying. Otherwise please be quiet.

I truly think it was just the wording and the fact that no info or price had been posted yet for that rack.
If you're calling dibs for someone. In my opinion you are responsible for buying.
Also this. Which he was doing last night, but wording could have been interpreted otherwise.

Should i post the "beating the dead horse-gif" already, or wait a few posts?

Anyways, I do actually agree with you. Dibs for others is not something I'm super fond of. People looking out for friends is like you said a nice thing to do, but dibsing for others creates unnecessary misunderstandings in case the other member doesn't actually want the chips in question. If you are sure they want it and want to be a good friend, IMO it's better to just say you'd take them yourself and deal with your friend later.

I’ve never understood this and I feel I've ruffled some feathers with the way I feel; but it absolutely boggles my mind how anyone can say dibs and then follow it with "pending" or eventually not by the item for whatever reason. If you're saying "dibs for...." you should just buy the item and then sell it to whoever. If they don't want it now you put it up for sale or keep it. But saying "DIIIBS" in any fashion and then not buying it because the price is wrong or the other person doesn't want it is not cool to me.

Last edited:
I truly think it was just the wording and the fact that no info or price had been posted yet for that rack.

Also this. Which he was doing last night, but wording could have been interpreted otherwise.

I have no idea about the thread from last night. I rarely look through the classifieds any longer. I've seen dibs used in all the ways that Mike is talking about. Still, why post just "dibs". Why not say "I'll buy it" If you want to add for x person, then add it. Dibs is silly and confusing for the most part

Dibs is to let everyone know you are buying them. The PM confirms it to the seller.
Dibs for someone else means you are buying it for them, and should also be followed up with a confirmation PM.

IMO this is not always the case. Sometimes the other member is all set without the dibser being aware of it ,and he will actually pass. Makes a bit of an unnecessary mess.

I have no idea about the thread from last night. I rarely look through the classifieds any longer. I've seen dibs used in all the ways that Mike is talking about. Still, why post just "dibs". Why not say "I'll buy it" If you want to add for x person, then add it. Dibs is silly and confusing for the most part
Dibs is fewer keystrokes, if you want to claim it quickly. Personally, I prefer “me” which is even fewer.

IMO this is not always the case. Sometimes the other member is all set without the dibser being aware of it ,and he will actually pass. Makes a bit of an unnecessary mess.
What I meant was that if you are calling it for someone else, it’s on you.
I guess it’s true, the better way to do this is just say “I’ll take ‘em!” Either for you or someone else.

This is ridiculous. I know you’re talking about me and I was absolutely committing to buy them. For me or for Eric, either way. I should have said “I’ll take them” and dealt with the rest via PM. Lesson learned. I’ve already explained the pending price, as it was due to the Silks not having a price or being mentioned, despite the picture of them. After I posted on the thread, I followed up via PM with the seller asking for price and committing to buy them. I’m sorry you didn’t like this but this is the last time I will address it and it was all above board. Trust me, I’ll never dibs chips for you, so don’t worry about it.

This is ridiculous. I know you’re talking about me and I was absolutely committing to buy them. For me or for Eric, either way. I should have said “I’ll take them” and dealt with the rest via PM. Lesson learned. I’ve already explained the pending price, as it was due to the Silks not having a price or being mentioned, despite the picture of them. After I posted on the thread, I followed up via PM with the seller asking for price and committing to buy them. I’m sorry you didn’t like this but this is the last time I will address it and it was all above board. Trust me, I’ll never dibs chips for you, so don’t worry about it.
So your relationship is terminated?

If you read my thread this was an honest attempt to see if I was out of touch and out of bounds for my complaint. I don't think it is ridiculous, I think it is a good discussion. I'm sorry if you are frustrated by this thread but that was honestly not my intent. If I ever meet you in person I promise to buy you a beer or whatever you like and shake your hand.

He really does not mean anything his post.

Kind of like this sentence?
tU1M8wJ.gif

If someone is buying for someone else, a-ok. But as a seller, when someone posts 'dibs' for themselves or someone else, and then thinks this something to be released - this actually drives away potential buyers.

Less worried about other potential buyers, it sucks for sellers when its not a binding statement.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom