Am I a jackass? (1 Viewer)

chipinla

4 of a Kind
Reaction score
Wait, don’t answer that! I already know what most of you would say.

But in all seriousness. I played in a home game tonight. Was supposed to be super laid back. Only 7 handed. $20 tournament to start then .25/.50 with a $50 buy in after. So nothing crazy.

I only knew the host, but have only played with him once. Super nice guy, we joked around at the game we met at and exchanged contact info. This was only my 2nd time playing with him and first time at his game with his group.
People were drinking, joking around etc. but the guy to my right had zero personality. Older guy, probably an accountant or has some other super boring job.

Every hand, and I’m not exaggerating, literally EVERY hand to me it was “It’s on you, it’s your turn, the blind is this, it’s on you, it’s on you, etc etc.” For TWO hours. I eventually said something and most of the table was like what just happened because I was not delaying the game at all. The vibe was definitely off at that point though. I decided to leave at the break out of respect for the host before cash game even started.

Now… I get that people want to move tournaments along blah blah blah but this was 7 handed just hanging out. Everyone was having fun, joking around until this.

I feel really bad because I certainly don’t want the host to have to defend me to his group. I texted him apologizing and he totally understood. I could care less what anyone thinks about me but I really hate putting a host in that spot.

Thoughts?

This should be a poll

1655004615907.jpeg

Obviously I wasn’t there but I’d ask if he was doing the same to others? Or was it just you? Especially if you weren’t holding the game up.
Just me but I could tell he was annoyed at the banter of the table. I was the easy target as I was to his left so the minute he acted, it was on me clearly. I don’t think anyone else noticed it because it was always kind of “quiet” to me. A little tap on the arm, a little tap on the table,

In a cash home game, this is fine. In a tournament, I’d politely ask people to play faster because of the clock, especially if I’m short stacked. Get in more hands before the blinds go up!

In a cash home game, this is fine. In a tournament, I’d politely ask people to play faster because of the clock, especially if I’m short stacked. Get in more hands before the blinds go up!
I get that, I guess in this situation it didn’t seem warranted due to how the table was joking around having fun.

Did you tell the host why you left and/or did you find out if that guy is "That guy" (i.e. always like that)? If you enjoyed the game other than that guy, maybe give it another chance but don't sit next to him...

Did you tell the host why you left and/or did you find out if that guy is "That guy" (i.e. always like that)? If you enjoyed the game other than that guy, maybe give it another chance but don't sit next to him...
I told him. He understood and made it sound like that guy is pretty wound up in general. Feels like I just got a bad seat to his left. And we drew for seats but so suppose I could say something

Can't blame you for your reaction.

I've been in a similar situation. Went to a game and only knew the host. I've known the host for several years but never attended any of his games as he usually hosted tourneys.

Well, one night he had a cash game and I attended. There were a couple of guys who would make similar comments as you noted. I left the first few slide but after a while I had to respond. Not angry or aggressive but direct and to the point. Basically, "thanks friend, but I don't need your guidance so give it a rest."

I'm not going to answer the title because you already know what I'm going to say... ;)

As a host, I try to balance keeping the action moving with keeping the vibe fun and relaxed. So I'll gently prompt players when they're a little slow, or if they're involved in a conversation or the game on TV and not paying attention. But this sounds like too much, and as a player, I would also have said something to this guy.

I had a situation at another game last week where one of the players was table captaining in a really weird way. He was pulling bets into the pot too early, prompting action constantly, and just being pushy and annoying in general. After maybe 30-45 minutes of this, I went into host mode and started gently but firmly directing him: "We should wait to pull the bets in; it's going to get confusing if someone raises." "We can make change after the action is done." "He knows it's his action, let him think."

A couple players actually thanked me for it later. Turns out I wasn't the only person he was driving a little bonkers. :)

Didn’t read OP, but yes :)

Edit: now I’ve read and no, not at all. Would annoy me as well. It’s nice to have table captains if they can do it correctly and when it’s actually called for.

Last edited:
You’re good.

Tapping or touching shouldn’t be happening. If you weren’t having fun, for any reason, no need to stick around.

The only other thought would have been to hit him up on a break and ask why he’s been doing it. Then ask him to stop.

Or maybe ask if they could redraw seats at midpoint.

You’re good.

Tapping or touching shouldn’t be happening. If you weren’t having fun, for any reason, no need to stick around.

The only other thought would have been to hit him up on a break and ask why he’s been doing it. Then ask him to stop.

Or maybe ask if they could redraw seats at midpoint.
Ya for sure. I knew exactly who this guy was the minute I met him. Super wound up, not talkative, very “by the book”, he for real had a t-shirt tucked into his shorts. That type of guy. The 1000% opposite of me. And since it was the hosts group that’s why I decided to leave.

Hey, I resemble that remark ;)

I would have told the guy to chill the fuck out (though nicely at first) and if he kept doing it, I would play slower to tilt the douche.
“Sorry guys I'm really in the blender on this one. Gonna needs minute [thinks intently]....sorry, this is just a really borderline situation. I should probably fold but I'm not sure I'm good enough......[thinks intently]......ok I check [from the big blind].

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom