Am I a fairweather fan if I don't want to watch Brian Hoyer? (2 Viewers)

Yes, but like edge spot progression it doesn’t really matter, but every asshole has an opinion about it. LOL!!!

I blindly paid $$ to go to game 4 of the ALCS at home in 2004 down 0-3. I was happily rewarded for my loyalty.

i was forbidden by my friends to attend any 2004 ALCS games after driving to NY for 2003 ALCS game 7.

He was a backup on the patriots for a few years. He was supposed to be fast and have a big arm. Patriots had Drew Bledsoe at the time (and actually a baby Tom Brady for one year) and poor Bledsoe was just getting a ton of criticism in his last few years with the patriots, some of it deserved.
So there were CONSTANT demands from fans to see Bishop. So much so that it’s now like an inside joke.
I still blame Pete Carroll for a significant portion of Bledsoe's struggles near the end. That O line was like a sieve.

Serious queston. I've been a diehard, watch every game patriots fan since about 1997. Granted, that was easy to do with Brady leading the way from '01-'19. But I loved Bledsoe and I learned to like Cam even though he stunk, and I've been on the Mac Jones bandwagon too, because I'm a fan and that's what we do. But I know Brian Hoyer. I've seen Brian Hoyer. I honestly have zero interest in watching Brian Hoyer for the next month or two. Nope, less than zero. I think I actively do not want to watch those games. Because he's not just bad, he's bad and boring and frustrating as hell.
So if I'm watching Redzone or the Bucs or the Bills over the next couple of months, does that make me a fair weather fan?
Fuck that. Next man up. Enjoy your suffering. Titletown my ass.

Fucking Grady Little and Aaron Boone.

I’ve always thought the Sox should have broken the Curse in 2003. It was arguably an even better team than 2004. But Grady Little was a true idiot all season and his foolishness finally came home to roost in the ALCS.

That was surprisingly gentle. Glad to see the west is mellowing you.
I’m lying drunk and happy in a pool half awake typing this. I’d I got any mellower I’d turn into dust and be absorbed into the pool filter.

Fans that don’t watch Hoyer are the same ones that insistently called Boston “TITLETOWN” and called the regular season “Practice” and complained that “the NFL is always out to get us” when Brady got investigated for deflategate (the year he won a fucking Super Bowl - I would happily run over a family for goats to win a Super Bowl in Dallas). They act like they still play at Sullivan Stadium and completely ignore their very recent success.

Try being owned by Jerry Jones for 25 years without making the 2nd round of the playoffs. The dropped hold in Seattle. The Dez catch. Romo’s collarbones snapping like cheezits.

Or try being a Browns fan. Or a Lions fan.

Wahhhhh…Tom Brady isnt walking through that door. Steve Grogan isn’t walking through thet door. The ghost of Drew Bledsoe’s ruptured spleen isn’t walking through that door. And it sucks and it stinks and it sucks.

Why don’t you just watch the Bucs and call them Tompa Bay like the unwinding legion of other fairweather fans?

(Before you get all pissed off at me for calling me out, hey, you asked, this is your thread)

That was surprisingly gentle. Glad to see the west is mellowing you.

I’m lying drunk and happy in a pool half awake typing this. I’d I got any mellower I’d turn into dust and be absorbed into the pool filter.

Fans that don’t watch Hoyer are the same ones that insistently called Boston “TITLETOWN” and called the regular season “Practice” and complained that “the NFL is always out to get us” when Brady got investigated for deflategate (the year he won a fucking Super Bowl - I would happily run over a family for goats to win a Super Bowl in Dallas). They act like they still play at Sullivan Stadium and completely ignore their very recent success.

Try being owned by Jerry Jones for 25 years without making the 2nd round of the playoffs. The dropped hold in Seattle. The Dez catch. Romo’s collarbones snapping like cheezits.

Wahhhhh…Tom Brady isnt walking through that door. Steve Grogan isn’t walking through thet door. The ghost of Drew Bledsoe’s ruptured spleen isn’t walking through that door. And it sucks and it stinks and it sucks.

Why don’t you just watch the Bucs and call them Tompa Bay like the unwinding legion of other fairweather fans?

(Before you get all pissed off at me for calling me out, hey, you asked, this is your thread)
Way better.

I didn't know you were a cowboys fan. They saved my ass in fantasy football last night and so i tracked down this gem. Please listen to it loudly, it's freaking amazing.

Browns fan. And I'm gonna say this like I'd tell a close friend....

Yes. You root. No matter what. Quit being a bitch and drink more beer. *Takes long swig while glaring with white hot hatred*

ive enjoyed some Hoyer the Destroyer games.
I also agree with this and sums up me up being a die hard Sabres fan. The Sabres and Browns have a lot in common, unfortunately.

You ride out the bad times, man. If you're a fan, you just gotta do it. Or yes, the bandwagon/fair weather labels stick and you own them.

My dad went to Purdue, and so did I, so for the rare times I am a sports fan and get into a team, Purdue Basketball and Football are it. I watched the awful Jim Colletto era, Danny Hope We Win era, and Darrell Hazell era anyway. You cheer for your team, as bad as they are. You do it, because one day, your 3-3 team that has lost to Eastern Michigan might have #2 Ohio State come to town and you are 3 touchdown underdogs with no chance. Then it turns into the Tyler Trent game, and you kick the absolute shit out of them 49-20 and just fucken obliterate their playoff chances. That's your super bowl, and you don't forget it for years. It's that much sweeter because you stuck with your team through the low points.

Until 2000, New England was a mediocre to bad football franchise, whose main highlight was getting stomped by the 85 Bears and letting the Fridge score a touchdown in the super bowl. But if you rode that out, a fan the whole time, the next 20 years after that you were probably just permanently high, like Christmas every football season. I grew up in northern Delaware, so I cheer for Philly teams, but I'm too young to remember the Flyers/76ers/Phillies teams that won titles. Losing Reggie White to the fucken packers just gutted me, and all those Andy Reid close calls were depressing too. Imagine the high I'm still on from Big Dick Nick basically rolling up the most yards and points ever in a super bowl and sticking it up Tom Brady's ass. I could die with Philly winning just that one super bowl and be ok. New England will be back, dunno when, probably not with Belichick, but stick with em. Even with journeyman Brian Hoyer.

You ride out the bad times, man. If you're a fan, you just gotta do it. Or yes, the bandwagon/fair weather labels stick and you own them.
^^^ this 100%.

I've been a fan of the New York Rangers from 1993. I feel lucky I didn't have to suffer through the decades-long drought that the proper long-time fans had to before they won the Cup, but have been through the recent struggles and rebuild. It's been interesting and frustrating riding the waves.

I've also been a fan of the Arizona (née Phoenix) Coyotes since their inception and despite the rare high points, have frequently criticized management and ownership as making the team no more than a "minor-league feeder team" for the rest of the league. Draft, develop, trade for more draft picks. Lather, rinse, repeat. :rolleyes:

Proper fans have an allegiance to a team for reasons they can't easily explain, and are willing to see past and accept the faults of that team... again, for reasons that can't be explained.

Maybe it's a team they latched onto when they were younger, brought up with in their family, or found a reason to like at some point in time. I feel proper fans are willing to acknowledge the faults of the team they back and not just blindly cheer for. I've been around enough folks at various drinking institutions who ride the tide of the "hot team" but are willing to change allegiance after a few good or bad games. I've seen folks openly bash their favorite team but can't explain why.

True fans don't just outright admit their team is shit, the staff are too busy navel-gazing and will never have a chance of doing anything remarkable for many years. They can critically describe what isn't working in a thoughtful and critical manner that goes beyond being just an armchair quarterback.

True fans are embedded with the teams they support.

For @upNdown, as the OP, and no shade here... honestly, what is it about Hoyer you don't care for? Coming as someone who DNGAF about foofball, doesn't know who he is or whatever backstory he might have. I would think a true fan should be able to state their criticism of a player/team beyond just being "bad" and "boring". If a "boring" or "bad" player came to either of the teams I root for as a fan and made the team as a whole perform better, I'd be all for them... warts and all.

Guess I'm a little confused by the rant. I get it and understand, but an curious why.

Shit, Dallas is starting Rush and I had less then zero expectations and I’m still watching. Almost prefer him to overpaid arrogant Dak at this point, been a fun watch.

Okay so maybe I’ll be a fair weather fan. It sounds gross. But Jesus, I’m almost 50 years old - I don’t have anything to prove. If I don’t want to watch a game, I’d be an idiot to force myself to do it, and get all mad and sad and frustrated, just so I could say I was a REAL fan. Screw that. That kind of credibility, I don’t need. It’s not like I’m going to stop watching football. But I might choose to not watch gross games that make me angry. Shrug

images (5).jpeg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom