Almost died, not out of the woods (1 Viewer)

OMG - I am sending all my available run good your way - good luck Scott :tup:
This is a double win for me - Doc gets better and I outlast @k9dr in the Dallas main event!

Thanks for the updates, Scott, and good on you for taking charge of your care. My wife had a similar issue several years ago when an overzealous surgeon wanted to do an unnecessary surgery and tried to push us into it as an emergency. We balked, got a second opinion, and ended up with a less aggressive option and a much better outcome.

Sorry to hear what you're going through but thankfully it was caught soon enough to give you a chance to keep the leg. Hope you make a speedy recovery.

Sending all the love and prayers possible from my end, Doc. One time baby.

Time for an update:

I have made good progress with hyperbaric treatment. Started my third month last week. Though I might need a skin graft, otherwise I look to be headed to recovery. I lost a few bits and pieces - 1/2 a toe, the third and fourth toe tendons - but I should regain most of the functions of the right foot eventually.

I started rehab and just yesterday "graduated" to a knee scooter from my wheel chair. Looks easier than it is. months of inactivity turns into months of recovery. It seems I am not 30 anymore. Who knew?

My vision is temporarily changed due to the hyperbaric treatment. I can now read without glasses. But I can not see well at distances greater than five feet. This should reverse itself once I stop getting compressed for two hours a day in the hyperbaric chamber. Yet another reason why driving is not going to happen any time soon.

I hosted a short poker game last week and have four hosting sessions planned for July. My lack of stamina has the games ending before eleven at the moment. I see no hope for any summer meat ups, though maybe by the fall ( he says hopefully?)

I am cleared for a week in Galveston next month so long as I stay out of the water and off the beach. And we have a trip planned to watch a Ranger's baseball game live in August. So things are looking up for some amount of travel.

I think the "peg leg" party is going to be cancelled -=- DrStrange

I've been wanting to bump this thread for a few weeks now but I was very worried the lack of update meant you were still in the thick of it.

You're an incredibly important part of this forum and chipping itself @DrStrange , I am so happy that you seem to be on the right side of this shit. Good luck bud, recovery is no joke and a ton of work.

I've read so many of your thoughtful posts over the years but never had the chance to meet you, if/when I ever get the chance I would've felt pretty cheated had you not had one of your legs. I mean that's like 25% less Strange, I want the whole enchilada, minus a few toes I guess. ;)

Glad to hear that you’re on the mend Scott. Looking forward to more of your strategy threads soon :tup: (and how I made exactly the opposite moves that you made :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:)

Time for another up date:

I have competed my three-month run of 5x / week hyperbaric treatment. Now I am down to one wound care doctor visit a week. Huge amounts of progress. At this point I expect a complete recovery.

My eye sight was distorted due to the pressures of hyperbaric treatment. This was anticipated to be transitory, but you never know. Things are almost back to normal - I again need "cheaters" to read fine print and can see at a distance normally. should be fine for driving. Should . . .

Mrs. Strange has her fears about me getting behind the wheels. Not so much rational, but not so easy to negotiate. We lent my car to my learning to drive niece, which she has come to depend upon. < like what 16 year old learning to drive doesn't come to love the independence of having a car? > This could be a complicated issue. We'll see.

My wound care diet is basically way more protean than I normally eat and way fewer carbs. You might think steak / seafood / meat / bacon & eggs every day - more than you want would be easy to do. Not so much. I am down to my lowest weight since my college years. My cloths don't come close to fitting. Oh, and ice cream somehow got left off the list of things I should eat every day. Sad really.

My stamina is almost back. Not quite meat-up levels of 24-hour a day poker but getting close.

Physical therapy has me up and walking. I carry a cane, just in case, but not really needed under flat conditions. Stairs and curbs require more caution. Wound care doesn't want me on my feet so much. The physical therapy team wants me up and active as much as possible. Somewhere we found an almost happy medium.

Basically the out come is as good as my have been hoped for. < knocking on wood, just to be safe > I have a January 2022 meat-up on my schedule. Maybe back to regular cards in a few weeks.

Woo hoo! V I C T O R Y -=- DrStrange

Great news and looking forward to seeing you in the green suit sometime soon!

1631724512226.png

Time for another up date:

I have competed my three-month run of 5x / week hyperbaric treatment. Now I am down to one wound care doctor visit a week. Huge amounts of progress. At this point I expect a complete recovery.

My eye sight was distorted due to the pressures of hyperbaric treatment. This was anticipated to be transitory, but you never know. Things are almost back to normal - I again need "cheaters" to read fine print and can see at a distance normally. should be fine for driving. Should . . .

Mrs. Strange has her fears about me getting behind the wheels. Not so much rational, but not so easy to negotiate. We lent my car to my learning to drive niece, which she has come to depend upon. < like what 16 year old learning to drive doesn't come to love the independence of having a car? > This could be a complicated issue. We'll see.

My wound care diet is basically way more protean than I normally eat and way fewer carbs. You might think steak / seafood / meat / bacon & eggs every day - more than you want would be easy to do. Not so much. I am down to my lowest weight since my college years. My cloths don't come close to fitting. Oh, and ice cream somehow got left off the list of things I should eat every day. Sad really.

My stamina is almost back. Not quite meat-up levels of 24-hour a day poker but getting close.

Physical therapy has me up and walking. I carry a cane, just in case, but not really needed under flat conditions. Stairs and curbs require more caution. Wound care doesn't want me on my feet so much. The physical therapy team wants me up and active as much as possible. Somewhere we found an almost happy medium.

Basically the out come is as good as my have been hoped for. < knocking on wood, just to be safe > I have a January 2022 meat-up on my schedule. Maybe back to regular cards in a few weeks.

Woo hoo! V I C T O R Y -=- DrStrange
Great to hear doc. Hope some run good comes your way after all that you have went through this year.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom