All things True Detective Season 2....... (1 Viewer)

can. not. wait. i don't care much for colin farrell or vince vaughn, but i can overlook them so easily for this.

No way this will touch season 1, what with Colin Fucking Farrel and Vince Fucking Vaughn.

If it does, send me your hats and I'll eats 'em

What about Made? Surely you liked Vaughn in Made?

He was fine. I didn't really actively dislike any of his performances until around ten years ago.

He played the part of the obnoxious douchebag great in Swingers and it served the movie perfectly. Problem is he has played some version of that guy in every movie over the last ten years.

I will be very ready to be proven wrong with this season 2 though.

He was fine. I didn't really actively dislike any of his performances until around ten years ago.

He played the part of the obnoxious douchebag great in Swingers and it served the movie perfectly. Problem is he has played some version of that guy in every movie over the last ten years.

I will be very ready to be proven wrong with this season 2 though.

I'm not a big Vaughn fan myself. But I love Made.

I'll remain hopeful about TD season 2.

I also thought Matthew Mc was the epitome of a douche over the past 15 years with all those terrible RomComs, so I have been proven wrong once...I hope it happens for you guys too.

Im not a Vaughn fan, but I also dont hate him. So many actors fall into their niche characters and play them in every movie.

Matthew McCon - RomCom passionate lover
Vaughn - doucebag in buddy movies
Wahlberg - badass
Tom Cruise - literally plays himself in every movie, no accents, no nothing, its truly incredible he still gets movies

but i digress

Season 1 was amazing... wonder how they are going to top that.

I haven't stayed on top of this, but I thought S2 was going to be centered around female lead characters?...

I also thought Matthew Mc was the epitome of a douche over the past 15 years with all those terrible RomComs, so I have been proven wrong once...I hope it happens for you guys too.

he might have had a pretty abysmal ten years as a romcom dickbag, but true detective was only the latest in a long string of extremely good performances by mcconaughey in very interesting roles. consider this run, which is his entire filmography from 2011 forward:

bernie
killer joe
mud
magic mike
the paperboy
dallas buyers club
wolf of wall street
true detective
interstellar

not a single dud or romcom and a few absolutely killer flicks. at this point i'm buying what he's selling (apart from lincolns).

We're lagging behind you in the UK so will grab later and watch...

i'll be watching tomorrow morning or night. had plans last night and then had to get up early today, so i missed it. and tonight i have my anniversary dinner which i probably will not follow up with making my wife watch true detective.

the reviews aren't good, but critics have shit taste, so i'm not really biased in any way at this point.

I don't know why I opened this thread. I'll wait 'till the end of the season and binge watch it.

Back to Bloodline, which I am 9 eps in, and still luke warm on...

I love how people (not necessarily people in this thread) go nuts over the 1st episode. I thought it did a pretty good job starting to develop characters.

When TD Season 1 was out, it took until like week 4 for things to really pick up or for people to start watching it.

I have high hopes and worst case I've wasted 8 Sunday nights watching a show, I've spent more time on way shittier shows.

okay just watched. loved it. no criticisms until the very last shot where the three cops (farrell/mcadams/CHiPs guy) are staring at each other knowingly. a little too on the nose.

man did they really hit my spots musically, though: opening with leonard cohen and closing with nick cave. can't get much better than that. loved the scene where farrell took brass knuckles to the bully's dad and told the kid he was going to buttfuck his dad with his mom's headless corpse on the lawn. so far the only character/actor i could see becoming the weak link is the CHiPs guy. just don't know if he has the acting chops. and they could maybe take farrell a little too over the top, but we'll see.

overall i'm pretty psyched for the season.

okay just watched. loved it. no criticisms until the very last shot where the three cops (farrell/mcadams/CHiPs guy) are staring at each other knowingly. a little too on the nose.

man did they really hit my spots musically, though: opening with leonard cohen and closing with nick cave. can't get much better than that. loved the scene where farrell took brass knuckles to the bully's dad and told the kid he was going to buttfuck his dad with his mom's headless corpse on the lawn. so far the only character/actor i could see becoming the weak link is the CHiPs guy. just don't know if he has the acting chops. and they could maybe take farrell a little too over the top, but we'll see.

Nailed it!

Enjoyed the opener very much.

Are all US cops whiskey chugging booze hounds? Maybe Farrell's character will develop into a herbal tea sipping vegan by season's end.

I'm not sold on Vince Vaughan either, in addition to Mr. CHiPs. His range had a lot of cardboard --> full frontal lobotomy in episode one

Did you just question Tim Riggins? Shame on you

For any football fan, people who like 90210, all those high school dramas from the 90s, Friday Night Lights the TV Show is a must watch.

Yup, absolutely agree, The final staring scene was a bit silly but enjoyed the rest of the show. Nothing wild but good groundwork to build the characters. Loved the scene with McAdams and her hippie father David Morse lol. On another forum I'm on they're saying this season's opening was way better than last season's... omfg, you're outta your mind. This was pretty traditional cop drama stuff but I'm sure it'll pick up as we go.

Did you just question Tim Riggins? Shame on you

For any football fan, people who like 90210, all those high school dramas from the 90s, Friday Night Lights the TV Show is a must watch.

i tried watching the series because i loved the book and movie so much, but it never grabbed me. too soapy imo. i didn't even realize that was the guy from the show until i read a couple reviews after i posted my thoughts last night. if his performance last night is indicative of his overall abilities, i'm pretty shocked that anyone is impressed by his acting. i thought he was pretty wooden. then again, he hasn't been called upon to do anything that dynamic yet, so it might just be the character. i'm sure we'll see as the season wears on.

Yup, absolutely agree, The final staring scene was a bit silly but enjoyed the rest of the show. Nothing wild but good groundwork to build the characters. Loved the scene with McAdams and her hippie father David Morse lol. On another forum I'm on they're saying this season's opening was way better than last season's... omfg, you're outta your mind. This was pretty traditional cop drama stuff but I'm sure it'll pick up as we go.

not close to last year's episode one imo. i rewatched it a couple weeks ago and was impressed all over again. this episode one is solid, but as you said, in a totally different way. i expect the season to be a straightforward noir cop thing, but elevated by the direction and the performances. i don't yet expect there to be those second level semi-mystical elements from season one. but i guess you never know. white jesus dad guy could end up being some kind of conduit for the supernatural. not sure how that would play.

I'd be happy with a cop noir drama, but have a hunch there will at least be hints of the mystical as a backdrop, hopefully open to interpretation as to whether those forces are teh real or simply influential due to communal fanatics. We see that with references to the totems and whatever historical drama there was with wife/mom's suicide. lol white jesus dad guy.

"Talk to your daughter, prick. Help her."
"I just did."

Decent summary in The Atlantic although some of the criticisms are too harsh and trying to generate their own drama. Too early to tell.
http://www.theatlantic.com/entertai...undtable-the-western-book-of-the-dead/396245/

It does amuse me that Ani is short for Antigone and the mythology is whack, but I don't think it's an accident.

//Whatever Ani’s dad’s philosophy is, his knowledge of Greek mythology is woefully lacking. “Athena, goddess of love,” he purred at his elder child, ignoring the fact that (a) Aphrodite was the goddess of love, (b) Athena was the goddess of war and wisdom, and (c) she was chaste. He named his younger daughter Athena and can’t get the history straight? And then he named his other daughter after Antigone, who was locked in a tomb before killing herself? No wonder she likes knives.//

Last edited:
I'd be happy with a cop noir drama, but have a hunch there will at least be hints of the mystical as a backdrop, hopefully open to interpretation as to whether those forces are teh real or simply influential due to communal fanatics. We see that with references to the totems and whatever historical drama there was with wife/mom's suicide. lol white jesus dad guy.

"Help your daughter, prick."
"I thought I just did."

Decent summary in The Atlantic although some of the criticisms are too harsh and trying to generate their own drama. Too early to tell.
http://www.theatlantic.com/entertai...undtable-the-western-book-of-the-dead/396245/

It does amuse me that Ani is short for Antigone and the mythology is whack, but I don't think it's an accident.

//Whatever Ani’s dad’s philosophy is, his knowledge of Greek mythology is woefully lacking. “Athena, goddess of love,” he purred at his elder child, ignoring the fact that (a) Aphrodite was the goddess of love, (b) Athena was the goddess of war and wisdom, and (c) she was chaste. He named his younger daughter Athena and can’t get the history straight? And then he named his other daughter after Antigone, who was locked in a tomb before killing herself? No wonder she likes knives.//

yeah i caught the athena/antigone daughter names. i guess i thought the show played it more as a superficial reference by a wannabe guru than foreshadowing, but you never know.

i'm not totally on board with the David Morse as white jesus dad, but i'll give him some time. he's always been sort of like Bill Paxton in that he only really has one speed as an actor, so his part has to be super tailored to his abilities or else he's awful.

just now looking at some of the reviews. lol at critics just looking for attention by making outlandishly hyperbolic statements about the quality of the first episode. represents the worst of film and television criticism and ultimately why writing about these shows beyond recaps of episodes is useless until the end of the season. you don't know what is setting other stuff up, what will pay off, etc. you're just firing in the dark hoping you're right at the end and can link back to your first review when you predicted it would amazing/terrible/flawed/underwhelming/whatever. but of course, those idiots whose predictions don't come true won't link back to their original pointless nonsense.

there were some real lulls in last night's ep, but some good stuff too. and that final scene...um...srsly? i wonder whether what we saw is what we saw there...

I reckon it was a sex dream.

Still not sold on Mince Vaughan but have enjoyed the first two episodes nonetheless.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom