All Black Base Set (1 Viewer)

Hey, they told the Wright Brothers that flying probably wasn't a good idea. I, for one, would love to see a set Someone has to be the first, why not you.

I have talked to a few people about doing an all black base set. I have seen some posts in the past about it. And the concern has always been dirty stacking.

What do y'all think about these mockups? I tried to add enough color and spot variations that it cut through.

View attachment 1077509View attachment 1077510View attachment 1077511
Throw an inlay in the bottom one for giggles. There’s enough color there and tone consistency (for the most part) that it might work. There appears to be too much black in the other chips which could require a lot of brain cycles to translate the colors to a denom.

I’d suggest swapping the DG Saturn for another green (light green?) as it will confuse with the yellow chip. Lavender then becomes the risky chip, depending on lighting.

If you really want to do this, order 100 of the three riskiest chips (min CPC order) and test them. (Or… see if you have folks add a barrel of one design to their orders (wrong molds, even) to test it.)

If it works, yay! Order away. If not, you’ve minimized your losses. (Or turn them into a limit set.)

I have (4) different sets that use the same edge spot color which works (at least in my mind) but must use basic and less busy spot patterns.

The PokerChipForum GPI set (already pictured in the thread above)

El Conjunto Verde (The Green Set)
greenset01-jpg.59266

El Conjunto Morado (The Purple Set)
img_2717a-jpg.276007

Soapy's Parlor HS
image1-png.1002418

But I'd be hesitant to try sets with the same base color as it would tend to cause a lot more dirty stacks issues. In that case I would recommend complex & very busy spot patterns to individualize each chip. I'd think that you would have to use the entire pallet of colors and would come out with something similar to @NotDunric mockup above which somewhat makes the black base disappear and become more of a spot color on some chips instead (eliminating some of the dirty stack issues). Which works in it's way but may take away from what you are going for with all black base chips.

Good luck, I'd be interested to see the final results but would recommend doing plenty of mockups before pulling the trigger. :)

If you do black regular sized inlays on all the chips, you'd be in a world of hurt imo.
Yes, this is a horrible idea. May as well just go with black foil hot-stamps to finish it off.

If you really want to do this, order 100 of the three riskiest chips (min CPC order) and test them.

If it works, yay! Order away. If not, you’ve minimized your losses merely torched up to a dozen Franklins. (Or turn them into a limit set.)
^FYP.

If you REALLY want to do this, test the concept first using a cheaper medium -- run a small order through one of the Chinese cards mold group buys.

I think if you went with all 412 chips it could work.
(This is in no way an affirmation of team black dollar - whether or not I want those people lined up and walked off a cliff, is still an open topic.)

OP is all about that bass, 'bout that bass.

But he's in for trouble.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom