AKo in .25/.50 Game Preflop Action (1 Viewer)

Steve Birrer

Two Pair
Reaction score
So Hero is UTG with :ac::kh:. Game is pretty loose. Hero raises to $1.50.
Fold
Fold
Call
V1 raises to $11
V2 calls
SB folds
BB folds

Intel from playing some previously in this game. V1 is loose. Already shoved with AJo over a preflop raise. V2 is a decent player but very loose. Have played quite a bit with her. Hero has $27.50 left.

Action on Hero?

Hero is 45/55 vs a lesser pair and 75/25 vs a Big ace. 50/50 vs AK and something like 65/35 vs everything else. AA / KK crush Hero.

We don't know much about V1 - there are a wild range of adjectives that go with "loose". Same with V2. It is hard to imagine many hands in V2s range that could/should properly cold call a massive 3-bet like this one.

Do V1 and V2 have a history? V1 a chip spewing donkey and V2 harvesting the spew? Is this a $0.25/$0.50 game that really should be a $1/$2 game?

Knowing nothing I think this could be a fold. But a little more detail in the villain read would make me want to jam. I might also jam just to see the cards in play while it is cheap.

I think calling is clearly the worst option. fold vs jam isn't so obvious. I think I'll jam with the information offered in the original post

Can't give you much more intel on V1. First time I have played with him. But in seeing several hands its seems to me that he tends to overrate his hands. But he also hasn't shown any hands yet to be bluffs.

V2 has played with V1 apparently a lot from their conversation. I have played with V2 quite a bit the last several months. She clearly likes to gamble. As an example a couple of cash games ago I raised 3X UTG. She called with 9 3s. She isn't quite any two cards but pretty close and she plays a high percentage of hands to at least see the flop. Doesn't fold very often to preflop raises.

Hero is 45/55 vs a lesser pair and 75/25 vs a Big ace. 50/50 vs AK and something like 65/35 vs everything else. AA / KK crush Hero.

We don't know much about V1 - there are a wild range of adjectives that go with "loose". Same with V2. It is hard to imagine many hands in V2s range that could/should properly cold call a massive 3-bet like this one.

Do V1 and V2 have a history? V1 a chip spewing donkey and V2 harvesting the spew? Is this a $0.25/$0.50 game that really should be a $1/$2 game?

Knowing nothing I think this could be a fold. But a little more detail in the villain read would make me want to jam. I might also jam just to see the cards in play while it is cheap.

I think calling is clearly the worst option. fold vs jam isn't so obvious. I think I'll jam with the information offered in the original post
Great thought process. Jamming here seems reasonable given how much he has behind. Not a lot to go on, but agreed, would hate to see it go 3-4 ways only to brick the flop and face a fold/jam situation there. Jam it now and pray you suck out vs high pockets.

Last edited:
I would have a hard time folding here to someone I categorize as "loose", and a 3-bet shove with AJo is certainly loose. Sure, it bite you once in a while, but if you fold to all their aggression, you become their ATM. Against a solid TAG, fold>jam. Against loose aggressive, jam>fold.

Last edited:
Well ok I guess the consensus is that shoving is the right play. So I guess I made the right play. Shove I did. So to continue.

The original caller to my raise folded.
V1 thought for a fair bit and called (I had him slightly covered),
V2 snap called.

So now lets see if you can get close to the holdings of V1 and V2.

Hero started with less than 60bb. Easy jam IMO against anyone characterized as loose. The giant $11 over raise does make me think we are probably flipping though. I feel like you see that kind of size a lot from people with middle pocket pairs.

+1 for team jam here.

V2's range seems pretty narrow. Hands not good enough to 4 bet, but good enough to flat a 3-bet and a 4-bet shove I think is squarely on 99, TT, and maybe AK. Before knowing he called hero's jam. I would maybe put 77+ in his range, which to me makes the hero shove worthwhile if you can get some pairs to fold. If the game is pick one holding, I will say 99.

V1 can have more AK and AQ type hands than V2 could in my opinion, but he can also have more big pairs than V2, he could have all the way up to AA, really, though that won't happen as often sice hero blocks half the combos of AA and KK. So I think this is the tough player for the guess the exact hand game. But for my one guess, I will go with QQ but there are a lot of holdings that make sense to me here.

Last edited:
Jam.

V1 has an ace or a king. Either A and 10 to K off, or K to 9 to Q on.
V2 has a mid pair. 88 or better. Agree that she has less than KK. V2 would have shoved if she had kings or better. The flat calls suggest a good but not great hand.

Some fairly decent guesses here. Good on you guys.

V1 showed up with 77
V2 showed up with Q9 off.

So preflop I was actually a favorite but of course the dog hand won.....lol

Q9o yikes.

But this shove is solid. It's 27.50 to win 62. You can lose this pot 68% of the time and still show a profit. You will usually have way more equity than this except the occasions you run into AA. Embrace the variance. This decision wasn't close.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom