AJs shove or min-bet at ~19 BB? (1 Viewer)

legonick

Straight
Reaction score
AJs shove or min-bet at ~19 BB?

WWYD? I feel like a min-bet is too exploitable. It's screaming "raise me so I can fold!" And it's also not a standard open, so that could give up information.

That said, after shoving and getting snapped off with AA, shoving seems like a bad idea too, LOL. But I can't open-fold AJs right?

I guess min-bet, shove on a weak 3-bet, fold to strong 3-bet or shove or bet from a nit. That would have kept me alive in this spot. The raiser who re-shoved (they should have flatted to keep more in) had AA, and a raise from them would be an easy sniff as probably AK+, TT+, etc. Easy fold with AJs.

OK better question...why am I bad at poker? LOL.

Position was UTG+2, 8-handed, MTT, far from the money. 65/108, top 20 is "money".

Min raise, fold to a 3 bet would be my standard. Open shoving is profitable by the charts though.

Min raise, fold to a 3 bet would be my standard. Open shoving is profitable by the charts though.
Yeah, I like it. Feels like an "open shoving is +EV" but..."min raising, folding to a 3-bet is +++EV".

At that stage of the tournament, you’re probably only getting called (or re-shoved) by hands you don’t want calling you. And you’re also at a point in the tournament where you’re looking for more than just picking up the blinds, so I really don’t love a shove, whether you’re called or not.
My initial thought is to 3x it.

Assuming no considerations such as money bubble or otherwise, I'm generally preferring an open shove. Main reason being that I think it is a disaster when I raise/fold against another similar sized stack shoving KQ/AT or similar. Sometimes they just have it and we don't suck out, but that's tournament poker.

I hate putting chips in the pot with 19BB and then folding pre. But, I would consider it here depending on a few other things. What is average stack, and does everyone behind you have you covered? You're going to need to chip up soon, this looks like a decent spot to just jam and pick up the blinds, or likely have decent equity.

I kinda like folding here to be honest.Our position sucks. I dont like opening then folding and i dont like jamming with AJ with 19 bb. Folding to me just seems smart

I kinda like folding here to be honest.Our position sucks. I dont like opening then folding and i dont like jamming with AJ with 19 bb. Folding to me just seems smart
He's UTG+2 at an eight handed table. While I don't think I would consider folding this hand even UTG, I definitely wouldn't in this spot. So far from the money, let's try to give ourselves a shot at cashing. Folding hands this good seems like a recipe for a bubble to me.

He's UTG+2 at an eight handed table. While I don't think I would consider folding this hand even UTG, I definitely wouldn't in this spot. So far from the money, let's try to give ourselves a shot at cashing. Folding hands this good seems like a recipe for a bubble to me.
I missed the +2 part...probably lean a bit more to a min raise but folding is better than jamming. 19 BB You have to be aggressive but Theres no reason to panic here. I just dont think Jamming AJ Here is a good play. As much as we need to accumulate chips so we dont get blinded down sometimes protecting your stack is more important than certain thin value spots

Position was UTG+2, 8-handed, MTT, far from the money. 65/108, top 20 is "money".
UTG+2 I would say this is a fold pre unfortunately. min raise/fold is not the biggest mistake. Open shoving is lighting money on fire. Calling is the second worst play.

EDIT: Just saw this is suited...my bad. Definitely open for 2X....not fold as I previously stated. This should be your standard open when tournaments get deep and everyone is playing smaller stacks....which means you should be opening EVERY hand to 2X when you are first in. How I would play when 3 bet would be highly dependent on my opponent.

You are not short enough yet to just open shove. I would consider shoving after somebody else entered the pot....either an aggressive opponent with a wide range, or a limper or two.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom