Airline refunds (1 Viewer)

GenghisKhan

Full House
Reaction score
Just thought I'd share this since many people have airline credits that are expiring.

If you want your money back, read this.

March 2020 my Canada to Vegas flight & hotel package got cancelled due to covid. Canada did not enforce all airlines to refund. So Westjet only gave a credit. Expiring March 2022 (next month).

Thankfully, the U.S. DOT has authority over any flight entering the US regardless of origin country. And the U.S. DOT is forcing airlines to do a full refund if the airline is the one who cancelled the flight. They have threatened airlines with large fines if they refuse.

I went to the US DOT website, filled in a complaint form with all info including Westjet's refusal to refund me.

Within a week I heard back they opened a case with Westjet. A few days later I was reimbursed in FULL ($2500)

YMMV, but this has worked quickly and flawlessly for my friends and I, as well as many people on the airline rights FB forum I got this info from.

Link to online complaint form:
https://www.transportation.gov/airconsumer/file-consumer-complaint

I hope this helps someone get their money back.

I was booked to take my daughter to the Bahamas in March of 2020....took until ~June of 2021 to get my money back...less the taxes and airport fees of course.....the government stuck me for over $1600 in fee's and taxes

Wth....taxes and fees?
I didn't lose a dime doing it this way.

I don't have all the facts here, but I'd try this US DOT method to see if they can help refund the balance of what you did not get.

No harm in trying.

Wth....taxes and fees?
I didn't lose a dime doing it this way.

I don't have all the facts here, but I'd try this US DOT method to see if they can help refund the balance of what you did not get.

No harm in trying.
bought a trip to Paradise Island in the Bahama to that cool waterpark resort ~8500 I saw ~$6700 back. The federal government loaned money to the airlines to let the airlines make people whole......so I received tax payer funds. The current economy is a disaster, I have another holiday booked in Florida in July but so far I have not booked any travel. I think with all of the hassle driving would be the current best option. But who knows the revolution could be on by then.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom