Aggrostraddlers (1 Viewer)

Taghkanic

4 of a Kind
Supporter
Reaction score
The aggrostraddler is a player type I encounter sometimes at low stakes. I’m guessing this is a crude, basic move which goes way back to the Harrington era or before.

After s/he straddles, the aggrostraddler always make a big raise — unless, occasionally, if someone else raises big before it comes back to the straddler.

So, say at 1/2: They straddle for $4. Small blind folds, big blind calls, two others limp for $4. Aggrostraddler makes it $25, hoping to pick up the $17 in the pot.

Often this works the first few orbits, with the aggrostraddler picking up decent pots pre with little effort each time.

Some aggrostraddlers follow up with a pot+ bet on the flop to continue the line.. But a few just play ABC post flop.

Then the table starts adjusting, playing only premium hands, which the field either raises big (allowing the straddler to play more perfectly), or check/reraising to try to punish the aggrostraddler.

Some agstrads get infuriated by these playbacks and reraise even more aggressively pre, say to $100. Others back down and either flat or fold.

I assume others have observed this phenomenon... How do you adjust to them?

I tend to go for the limp-reraise with a strong but not overly-tight range. (If I only do it with premiums, they can adjust too easily.) I like that more than betting into them because it specifically targets their excess aggression. Of course, over time if they wise up then I have to switch it up again.

@Ronoh always straddles. Always. Looking forward to it if he comes to Forrest’s this year!

Screen Shot 01-19-20 at 01.20 PM.PNG

If you know this kind of player is at the table before you sit down, buy in short and exploit the hell out of it by limp/shoving against his straddle position raising.

Aside from that, always take into account that the straddle is the new big blind from a stack perspective. So if you get AIPF for $100 against a $4 or $5 straddle, it's only 25 or 20 blinds.

I wouldn’t get carried away with adjustments, but in general...
Tighten your open range slightly
4-bet his 3! slightly wider

If I can adjust my position, I do. Ideally I want the straddle to my left - i.e. me in the BB vs them as UTG. If I am in a home game I try to manage the seating to keep that left hand seat open for my huckleberry. (I do this by putting the chip case in the left-hand seat so I can dish out chips easily then "make room" when appropriate.)

While the game is relatively short stacked, I match my stack to the straddle stack best I can.

I tend to limp my entire range. Or if I do raise, my intention is to be blocking - - - say making a "normal" raise with a hand like a small pair or a suited ace or a connector type hand. Always mindful of not getting into a small SPR pot with a big SPR hand.

I am perfectly ok with getting my 2bb "stolen" a few times with a big raise from the straddle. If I only limp/reraise even the most unobservant villains will notice. I only need to snap off a few big pots a session to make it all worth while.

It is also OK for the straddler to learn not to re-raise when I am in the pot. This gives me the unique option to set the price for the hand vs the rest of the field who is held somewhat captive by the wild straddle dynamic.

Paying attention to changing conditions is important. People learn and make adjustments. My goal is to be a step ahead or at least in stride. I don't want to become the hunted . . . .

DrStrange

If I am in a home game I try to manage the seating to keep that left hand seat open for my huckleberry. (I do this by putting the chip case in the left-hand seat so I can dish out chips easily then "make room" when appropriate.)
:ROFL: :ROFLMAO: :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

If I can adjust my position, I do. Ideally I want the straddle to my left - i.e. me in the BB vs them as UTG. If I am in a home game I try to manage the seating to keep that left hand seat open for my huckleberry. (I do this by putting the chip case in the left-hand seat so I can dish out chips easily then "make room" when appropriate.)

While the game is relatively short stacked, I match my stack to the straddle stack best I can.

I tend to limp my entire range. Or if I do raise, my intention is to be blocking - - - say making a "normal" raise with a hand like a small pair or a suited ace or a connector type hand. Always mindful of not getting into a small SPR pot with a big SPR hand.

I am perfectly ok with getting my 2bb "stolen" a few times with a big raise from the straddle. If I only limp/reraise even the most unobservant villains will notice. I only need to snap off a few big pots a session to make it all worth while.

It is also OK for the straddler to learn not to re-raise when I am in the pot. This gives me the unique option to set the price for the hand vs the rest of the field who is held somewhat captive by the wild straddle dynamic.

Paying attention to changing conditions is important. People learn and make adjustments. My goal is to be a step ahead or at least in stride. I don't want to become the hunted . . . .

DrStrange

Yup. You definitely want a guy like this immediately to your left. His play is so exploitable that it should override your usual desire to have him three spots to your left. Playing to trap with a limp is really the only way, since he doesn't make the enormous error otherwise. After you've roped him into the option raise, either 3-bet or flat and let him hang himself trying to steal it, depending on the circumstances, your hand, and what you learn about his responses.

I'd also be eager to straddle into this guy if he'll restraddle reliably and throw a party whenever given the opportunity. Sitting on his left is the most favorable position for when he takes this line, so you'd benefit the most from him doing it twice an orbit (and with a double straddle).

If I ever make it out to your game, I'll be on the lookout for your seating shenanigans, @DrStrange . ;)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom