Advice on cleaning 'stained' yellow chips (1 Viewer)

arch3r

4 of a Kind
Supporter
Reaction score
OK. I have joined the ultrasonic cleaners guild and just love the results I have been getting.

Last night I cleaned a rack of yellow hot stamped chips last night and the results, although way better than they were, still left the chips, what I call stained.

Before:

After:

2bPnUUgPDf_43QYmMm1wSpB9WLixhx9-8R5JnqZIqAJHVkW-N4KNqlF65oGk7SdboLyYJu4oAWSYKBdKQR6GqoalWmh5j0lYY3Fg9ax1AhfPGC3fz8AueX8WRnMTnWmVVQopralP7UtpdsFXn4SFLdWvBjqZizISKIeYfr8f_9VSH9rP5puRe0qajV6QXFdQEwiB6KefccIoJYQpBSJOg0n_SKUnlm9Ilm9Co004nTNeviH9KUJy3vr3_VzvBW_rL1ta38xxRW6NPoEWT7LRGE-KmIzpnbSwqPt9OPMKHm4o9ytDpA1UtMyC73KnVCdxbscDYOerDTQ5x0_vDJDA3pqA9FEK-i68ZXTWsef1P9zn2JaBM2dYvIpF37SP5N_Ht76ZrRli9cWZD1hi-3dE8cqIPz8Fs-GwYwD2HFWbWsKdW47jnKLII_dXTf8F07VVr_6HJ8v3QkhPOokNPg4GOfg2B3NnrQPstjQaCeXmnJLBDuMLz5NZ-Q22PN0mJwLyP09BB0Jbh8KO_W-hOAEALg9jZ_4y3C88l1tKV_JfDpx6KMN-M3MwM5MXM5_Ucyw0iO4F5AcBHBBSzY_rXg9Frp7OSJaCIe-mLTqdGEI96a7NWx8U22dPLYtvRVqWQCaXAEeMKEH3czg8yq-rItq8c3X0=w999-h750-no

J2cjdFPCoLf7QrYiHrXn82qbnwfcYynp0RE2gY41xR2-nYPzDzp8_R-uadikxUqRhzkWGlweWG1cKxQlzKLZ3VG3c_UaA31iAKi7qqG32vI9VUpw3o_GYZpTjRsj4QEYLVyryLtOf5POYWLkwdZE806BXynzZXMpR_mUFFOW6GVbWaDc-jMEQV1B6hVrS5boUDeSvkc566gJk1_T7hjADbp6fr7_AfsHcn4Ww8i-9OKlIxtYZrOWIHHPRGX_K3LSphIAKPTILrmW_90cBsMDmgcjyTjoy7MuyNaiw2_YIttCCKyDlSfF_5hCRUpq-sx2gFvvyuchvBgDo_bc7qljMru0qD-dPnQn-2Q64ktTnma8xGXe-fCUEy-4gIP98vYwcpuX18WqBMXdowADvXNeg_QpHdIJeh1YqPdG-ac4TMBxNMkQNPJmRst0AVKVfGNkYiH5pVQZYsSafr7iCRwJgVk2HvxVKd73inECHEUutmJRRaMhCrxCsWwShRaxdefcN_jq7WqMD0M2uoLsLUAZPMmKBs78Ww0_sIagQYL8bEa42AD4fJ-h1K8qbeIPHDsWVjCxYy3q3_77c4h_S4bYD-IMemMBbk7vmuNJe2HxT_onfu13NC_HCvRP986489KlCbWWN2hiaKr_JDlSg-CshPD3=w734-h978-no

Notice the top hats still remain dingy. And many of the hot stamp areas are equally still browned.

Any advice on making these chips look even better? I could put them through the cleaner again, but not sure that will do it.
Is this just how some chips age and this is the best they will look or are there other methods for cleaning more stubborn grime?

Welcome to the ultrasonic club. Nice yellow & pink chips!

For really old, dirty, grimy chips (like the California Bells) I've had to do further cleaning after one or two long cycles in an ultrasonic, but not necessarily all the chips. My method is:
- using scissors cut down the bristles on an old toothbrush till they're at a good scrubbing length (not too soft, not too short)
- take remaining dirty chips, 20 to 40 chips at a time
- soak/stir in a solution of very warm to hot water & TSP (or other cleaner). soak time can vary from a couple minutes to 10-15 minutes
- remove chips, align the 20 to 40 chips (still wet) in a chip rack
- take aligned barrel of chips, and scrub all edges first -- I've found this cleans the edges better and does 20 chips at a time
- then on a towel spread chips flat, and scrub one side, then another.
- rinse in clean water, and lay on another towel to dry

Welcome to the ultrasonic club. Nice yellow & pink chips!
Thanks!

For really old, dirty, grimy chips (like the California Bells) I've had to do further cleaning after one or two long cycles in an ultrasonic, but not necessarily all the chips. My method is:
- using scissors cut down the bristles on an old toothbrush till they're at a good scrubbing length (not too soft, not too short)
- take remaining dirty chips, 20 to 40 chips at a time
- soak/stir in a solution of very warm to hot water & TSP (or other cleaner). soak time can vary from a couple minutes to 10-15 minutes
- remove chips, align the 20 to 40 chips (still wet) in a chip rack
- take aligned barrel of chips, and scrub all edges first -- I've found this cleans the edges better and does 20 chips at a time
- then on a towel spread chips flat, and scrub one side, then another.
- rinse in clean water, and lay on another towel to dry

Sounds like you have the process all figured out. I'll just send these off to you and let you handle it for me. K, thanks. :D

Seriously though, thanks. I'll have to give that a try.

I'll just send these off to you and let you handle it for me. K, thanks
I was actually thinking something along those lines... if you can give me 2 years to clean them, I'll handle it for you. :)

I also noticed the brighter chip looks like it's Short Cane version while the darker chip is Long Cane version. Could mean different manufacturing batches and slightly different base color, so that darker yellow might not get brighter, but the dirty hat & cane areas should clean up a little.

1542319952179.png

I was actually thinking something along those lines... if you can give me 2 years to clean them, I'll handle it for you. :)

I also noticed the brighter chip looks like it's Short Cane version while the darker chip is Long Cane version. Could mean different manufacturing batches and slightly different base color, so that darker yellow might not get brighter, but the dirty hat & cane areas should clean up a little.

View attachment 217777

I'll have to check that out.

bingo! Good eye there sir.

15423210363584680661600134543623.jpg

bingo! Good eye there sir.
The dirt on the 3 chips on the right, looks similar to other old chips I've cleaned, and the dirt should clean up with further soaking/scrubbing -- it may brighten the chip up.

These chips below needed further cleaning after going through the ultrasonic
IMG_2365.JPG IMG_2366.JPG

The dirt on the 3 chips on the right, looks similar to other old chips I've cleaned, and the dirt should clean up with further soaking/scrubbing -- it may brighten the chip up.

View attachment 217784View attachment 217785

Looks like I got something to do this weekend. (y) :thumbsup:

And wow, those chips are awesome you got there.

View attachment 217784View attachment 217785

DAMN!
those are sweet spots on that blue chip!
Like the orange/red one too.
DIBS!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom