Advice about oiling chips (3 Viewers)

Outkicked

Straight
Reaction score
Wondering what people have used in the past to oil CPC chips and the outcome thanks!

I actually picked some up day before last to work on a fresh batch of harvested chips. Uses listed on the label include producing a bowel movement in 6-8 hours, I think the manufacturer should be more considerate and add "poker chip maintenance" right after.

I use Swan Mineral Oil. It’s unscented and available on Amazon.

D489318D-581A-40BE-896C-28481EE1886D.jpeg

Go to the nearest pharmacy. Go to the professional products section. Look for mineral oil laxative. Buy as small a bottle as you can. Pour out some into a little 4 oz. container - this will last you years and years and years of oiling chips. Use the rest as a laxative whenever you need.

Do you usually just oil the edges or the entire chip? I would think just edges but not sure

Depends on who you talk to... as there are quite a few different opinions on this subject. There is a popular thread here, but in my opinion it's a little too time/labor intensive.

For Paulson chips, I will dab the tip of my finger (covered in a microfiber cloth) into the mineral oil, and will then apply a light coat to the rolling edge of an entire barrel of chips (20x) at one time. I do this by holding the barrel of chips in one hand, and slowly rotating my wrist/hand as I apply the mineral oil from the cloth/finger tip of my other hand. I know I used "just the right amount of oil" if there is some very slight oil seepage between the chips, onto the chip faces.

Then, I take each chip individually, and wipe off any excess oil with a different/dry cloth. This usually spreads some more oil onto the chip faces, and provides enough coverage to bring out the chip's colors, without making the chip overly "wet" with oil.

It's a fairly simple/quick approach that works well enough for me.

@Outkicked... Here's a quick video I put together.

For oiling 100 chips or more I'd recommend having a few "dry" cloths on hand, as they will get damp with oil after drying off a few barrels of chips. You can always rotate/flip them to find a dry spot, but that only lasts for so long. These are the cloths I use.

Barrel to the far right has been oiled...

1547159674952.png

I put 1 drop in my palm and then rub my hands together. Grab a barrel with my thumb and forefinger and use my other hand to grab it (like you're grabbing a pole) and twist around the barrel to get the whole chip. Only need 1 drop per 80-100 chips. I'll let them sit while I do another rack and when I'm done with that one I'll go back to the first and wipe of any excess, give em a good couple shuffles and that's it

I put 1 drop in my palm and then rub my hands together. Grab a barrel with my thumb and forefinger and use my other hand to grab it (like you're grabbing a pole) and twist around the barrel to get the whole chip. Only need 1 drop per 80-100 chips. I'll let them sit while I do another rack and when I'm done with that one I'll go back to the first and wipe of any excess, give em a good couple shuffles and that's it

Whoa... that seems like a very efficient approach. I will have to try this!

How does it work with CPC stock chips? I’m only asking because if they are submerged in water would I get the “bubble” effect on the logo, say the rounders set by CPC
no idea, hopefully someone does . . .

That's way less oil then I use. Interesting.

Im wondering if the label, say for instance on the rounders set would have a yellowing affect on the white logo if you got some oil on it ?

Depends on who you talk to... as there are quite a few different opinions on this subject. There is a popular thread here, but in my opinion it's a little too time/labor intensive.

For Paulson chips, I will dab the tip of my finger (covered in a microfiber cloth) into the mineral oil, and will then apply a light coat to the rolling edge of an entire barrel of chips (20x) at one time. I do this by holding the barrel of chips in one hand, and slowly rotating my wrist/hand as I apply the mineral oil from the cloth/finger tip of my other hand. I know I used "just the right amount of oil" if there is some very slight oil seepage between the chips, onto the chip faces.

Then, I take each chip individually, and wipe off any excess oil with a different/dry cloth. This usually spreads some more oil onto the chip faces, and provides enough coverage to bring out the chip's colors, without making the chip overly "wet" with oil.

It's a fairly simple/quick approach that works well enough for me.

Just came across this while looking for the right approach to oil my new CPCs. This worked perfectly. Thanks!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom