Additional Shelf Storage Ideas for Set Building? (1 Viewer)

bezerkus

Pair
Reaction score
While I have a few bird cages to display/store chips and a Nanuk 920 for travel, they aren't the easiest to open and add singles/barrels to as they're purchased for building sets. I'd been taking up valuable drawer space in my desk so I needed something that I can put on a shelf that's easily accessible. I've put something in that works if you are on a budget from Ikea, but I like the durability of something metal. Found these drawers from Bisley that might work well, but just throwing it out there as to what others might be using. Thanks!

Ikea Pallra:
20220708_233230.jpg

Bisley:
1657346235787.png

How many racks can each shelf hold, are they able to withstand the weight?

This look like a good addition solution to my storage issue, I been temporarily using a makeshift storage to hold my excess chips

Thanks

Attachments

• A6A79ADE-57AC-4E9C-B74E-A0B6EE3A598C.jpeg
    A6A79ADE-57AC-4E9C-B74E-A0B6EE3A598C.jpeg
    108.1 KB · Views: 59
The Bisley works really well with one note. Don't use the raised plastic trays that are used in the birdcages. If you try to put plastic trays in, the clearance is too close and can scrape the top of the chip. The 3 drawer one would do just fine with those. It actually fits 5 racks per drawer, but I only put 4 in each drawer so I don't have to pull the drawer out completely to access the chips. It will actually hold 2500 chips, but I like the way 2000 fits better.

2022_0914_19102000.png

Check out other sizes and colors here https://www.bisley.com/shop/drawers/desktop-drawers/

Last edited:
Thanks for the review and images @bezerkus ! I'm looking for something like this too.

Some reviews for the Bisley mention that the drawers are just on slides, rather than attached to rails, and rely on the drawer above to keep it from tipping and falling out as you pull it open. Have you had any troubles with that? Or the chips in the back row sliding along the bottom of the drawer above if it tilts as you pull it out?

Other reviews mention that is also one of the upsides, because no rails mean the outer dimensions are more compact. So I'm hoping that with all the chips in there it doesn't really matter. Being able to pull the drawer all the way out seems like it might be a plus too. Just take the drawer to the table rather than the individual boxes.

> How many racks can each shelf hold, are they able to withstand the weight?

Site says "maximum drawer/shelf loading" is 4kg (assuming that is per drawer), so fours racks of 10g chips. Probably some safety margin built into the published spec, but maybe not the 25% needed for a fifth rack? @bezerkus did you notice any issues with the fifth rack other than having to remove the drawer completely to access them?

Thanks for the review and images @bezerkus ! I'm looking for something like this too.

Some reviews for the Bisley mention that the drawers are just on slides, rather than attached to rails, and rely on the drawer above to keep it from tipping and falling out as you pull it open. Have you had any troubles with that? Or the chips in the back row sliding along the bottom of the drawer above if it tilts as you pull it out?

Other reviews mention that is also one of the upsides, because no rails mean the outer dimensions are more compact. So I'm hoping that with all the chips in there it doesn't really matter. Being able to pull the drawer all the way out seems like it might be a plus too. Just take the drawer to the table rather than the individual boxes.

Site says "maximum drawer/shelf loading" is 4kg (assuming that is per drawer), so fours racks of 10g chips. Probably some safety margin built into the published spec, but maybe not the 25% needed for a fifth rack? @bezerkus did you notice any issues with the fifth rack other than having to remove the drawer completely to access them?
Yes, it does rely on the drawer above but only when you open it past the halfway point loaded with 4 racks, but there really is no problem. The clearance is great as you pull it all the way to the end. It really stays pretty straight almost all the way out as the drawers seem solid enough and the sides already really close to the above drawer. I went to only 4 racks after trying 5 as I didn't like having to pull the drawer all the way out to reach the 5th rack or pulling out the front racks to get to them. Thanks for bringing up the weight limit (which I totally forgot to look at) I guess that also means I stay under the 4kg limit as most of mine are not leaded and well under 10g. Never noticed any issues with the 5th rack though other than pulling the drawer all the way out, seemed really solid enough.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom