Adam Savage Rounders journey (1 Viewer)

spellholly

Pair
Reaction score
Hi all,

I follow a lot of what Adam Savage puts out and he did a couple videos on a poker chip case/ table build... and in them he discussed his Rounders chips. He said he tracked down the original maker of the chips- but annoyingly did not not say who it was. They made him a set but had to do the bear backwards so they didn't get in trouble with their original production agreement.

Who made these chips?

I'm sure one of the experts will post a more through and correct answer, but ... for now

I think ASM created these, and CPC has continued the legacy.

I enjoy his KGB themed case!

I'm sure one of the experts will post a more through and correct answer, but ... for now

I think ASM created these, and CPC has continued the legacy.

I enjoy his KGB themed case!
He did a beautiful job with it! Love that he did something chip related!

He is a huge nerd. In other words, one of us.

When he talks about getting screen shots to replicate the exact chips... uhhh yep thats some PCFer-esque nerd power.

I think in a previous discussion, it was mentioned that he likely got them through a 3rd party site that used ASM (pre-CPC) for production. I'll look for the link.
I think this is correct. Wonderful video, he’d like it here

I think in a previous discussion, it was mentioned that he likely got them through a 3rd party site that used ASM (pre-CPC) for production. I'll look for the link.
Pretty sure he got these on the Roman mold...bet he could flip these for a massive profit and rebuy a new stock set for a fraction of the cost

That's interesting they proxy them
You can get them direct from CPC now (different mold), and I believe could likely get them from ASM back then.
It was mentioned (I think here on PCF) that the reason the company he used didn't want their name used is that they were buying from ASM an likely charging a good markup. That could be pure speculation, or I'm getting the story wrong...or both. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

ASM made all the chips for the movie. CPC bought their equipment, molds, and clay formulas and are still manufacturing chips.

All of the molds they use have incredible history, going back 70+ years.

You can buy replicas of the chips they used in Rounders right off their website, which were offered to the public after Adam bought his. However, they don’t offer them with the same molds.

Here’s a direct link to their site:

http://www.classicpokerchips.com/stock/index.htm

Pretty sure they were ASM since they were Roman mold. I'm vague on the history but believed the Roman mold was discontinued for the excessive spinners.

1651255272024.png

Last edited:
Pretty sure they were ASM since they were Roman mold. I'm vague on the history but believed the Roman mold was discontinued for the excessive spinners.

View attachment 903647
I think the mold was also discontinued because the stamps for it were just worn out and unusable at one point. I think that is why later production chips had so many spinners. The stamp molds were just at their end of life.

Edit: I also wanted to add that someone did ask David a while ago about bringing the mold back and he said it was not cost effective to either recondition the old stamp molds or create new ones. The price wasn't worth it, so they just dropped it as an option.

Last edited:
He did these after asm changed to cpc. Cpc was still producing Roman molds at the time. There are several replicas made on the Roman molds but now the molds are damaged and will not be brought back. This has made Roman molds more desirable now.

6B7B9148-1203-47ED-A966-3D43E37E94CF.jpeg

I finally got myself to purchase these iconic poker chips. Bought a set of 500, but damn they were expensive but I hope worth it!

I finally got myself to purchase these iconic poker chips. Bought a set of 500, but damn they were expensive but I hope worth it!
Welcome here neighbor! That’s one helluva first purchase, congrats! I can’t see how you would be disappointed with those

Heysan Swede, og tack! :)
No no I am an old dog in the chip buying business :) I also have WSOP ceramics, but being such a chips nerd, I wanted the rounders one for 24 years ;)

Heysan Swede, og tack! :)
No no I am an old dog in the chip buying business :) I also have WSOP ceramics, but being such a chips nerd, I wanted the rounders one for 24 years ;)
About time you got a set then :)

Here is my set. I have the roman mold, but with a brown bear. Half of them have a polar bear. I also have several original chips from the movie.

I also have a picture of what the new ones looks like vs the movie prop chip.

Attachments

• IMG_1684.jpg
    IMG_1684.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_1746.jpg
    IMG_1746.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 157

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom