Action Clocks - Love it, hate it or already have one? (1 Viewer)

MikeL

Sitting Out
Reaction score
http://www.pokernews.com/news/2016/04/action-clock-wpt-toc-24603.htm

One of the features that stood out heading into the event was the addition of the Action Clock, created by Protection Poker. Under the rules of the Action Clock, each player's action was given a 30-second time limit. For longer decisions, players were given four 30-second time extensions they could use if needed. While this wasn't the first time a "shot clock" was used in a live poker tournament, for many of the players it was new. Through most of the chatter, the majority of the field liked the Action Clock.

All tourneys should have some type of shot clock (many possible structures - fairly unimportant which one). Obv would be horrible for cash games.

I implemented an action clock with time chips for our local tournament series back in 2006, in an effort to help speed up play and minimize the "hollywood" factor. Initially 30 seconds to act, with time chips per player (number based on tournament length) worth 30 seconds each. Active hands were never declared dead; if a player ran out of time (chips), rail time penalties were imposed on subsequent hands.

It totally worked, and they haven't been used for several years (but are still available and referenced in the rules, should the need arise again).

BGinGA, what did you use for time chips? The WPT ones are easy to see, but uninspired...

593911-wpt-time-bank.jpg

http://www.pocketfives.com/articles/action-clock-could-become-norm-world-poker-tour-events-592153/

We have a couple guys in my Thursday Night League, that think they're on TV. They tend to "Hollywood", sometimes even when the decision isn't that tough. I've been thinking about implementing the "shot clock", ever since I saw the Aria High Roller event on TV. I think for the most part, it will be welcomed. Unfortunately, the people that are the worst offenders, are also the biggest complainers, so I expect a lot of pushback from them.

We have many penalties in our .25/.50 NLHE cash games but they are fun. Don't have your blinds out by the time the last card is dealt? Toss in a chip. Phone in your hand or otherwise has your attention when you are in a hand, another chip. Forget it is your turn, chip...any other drunken stupidity? Chip plus a hazing. Keeps our game moving except for the HRD who is a retarded donkey so we let him slide a bit.

BGinGA, what did you use for time chips? The WPT ones are easy to see, but uninspired...

593911-wpt-time-bank.jpg

http://www.pocketfives.com/articles/action-clock-could-become-norm-world-poker-tour-events-592153/

I used dropa disc ncv chips, since they are distinctive and none of my tournament sets (at the time) contained gray or red chips:

11-DROPA-NCV_LRG.png

I thought about using ABC's great time chips, but the sixty-second text didn't match our rules:

ontheclock.gif

Also considered their HTFU chips (below), but ultimately decided that I'd just design some custom ceramics. The need disappeared before I ever got around to having them made. If I were to do it today, I'd probably go with 46mm ceramics from OWPS.

htfupokerchips.gif

What are the most common rules people are using for tournament play?

I know this is an old thread but I was wondering if anyone knows if these are available for purchase? I have done a decent amount of research and can't seem to find anything...? wondering if anyone knows the skinny...?
Thanks,
Troy

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom