Acrylic 200 Chips "Funny Games Store" on aliexpress (1 Viewer)

ljd

Sitting Out
Reaction score
Hi,

Received some more chips this week from aliexpress.

These are non-standard, large, 50 mm chips (see comparison in pics to 39 mm chips).

Received all 20 chips. These are my first acrylic chips. There is some light scuffing on the surface and a small rough spot on the edge of each chip.
The chip size, flatness, and graphics are consistent across the chips.

The gold graphics are reflective/shiny. I was concerned that gold would just scratch off. But I was happy to find the gold print is not on the surface of the chip, but embedded inside the acrylic material. So it will never scratch off.

The chips are quite striking. I'm planing on using them with economic board games, where having $200 means you probably won. So should be fun to have a larger, fancy, acrylic 200 chip for the occasion.

Shipping to Canada was fast. It took 17 days from order to doorstep. I did not have to pay any extra duties/taxes/"processing" fees. Very happy about that!

Also, love these aliexpress store names! :p

Product link: FunnyGamesStore Acrylic chips

Some questions:
- Anyone know why sometimes, shipping from aliexpress gets hit with duties/taxes/"processing" fees and other times, there is 0 extra cost? It would really be nice to know this up front.
- Anyone know what the manufacturing process is like for these acrylic chips? Really curious to know how they are made.

Attachments

• acrylic200_01.jpg
    acrylic200_01.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 113
  • acrylic200_02.jpg
    acrylic200_02.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 126
  • acrylic200_03.jpg
    acrylic200_03.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 122
  • acrylic200_04.jpg
    acrylic200_04.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 126
  • acrylic200_05.jpg
    acrylic200_05.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 115
This is speculation on my part, but I think the way these are made is that the chip is made from two halves; each half is probably cast acrylic (rather than injection-molded or stamped) and possibly machined into its shape. The inner layer is printed onto a thin sheet of acrylic and cut out in a circle, and then the final chip is made by laminating together the printed layer between the two outer halves.

I say this based on what I've observed in handling various acrylic plaques, which look like they were made that way. I think these acrylic chips (aka "jetons") are made the same way as the plaques.

Reactions: ljd
Euro-style jetons look super-cool! I think they handle very differently from US-style poker chips, and probably most poker players wouldn't like them because of that.

This is speculation on my part, but I think the way these are made is that the chip is made from two halves; each half is probably cast acrylic (rather than injection-molded or stamped) and possibly machined into its shape. The inner layer is printed onto a thin sheet of acrylic and cut out in a circle, and then the final chip is made by laminating together the printed layer between the two outer halves.

I say this based on what I've observed in handling various acrylic plaques, which look like they were made that way. I think these acrylic chips (aka "jetons") are made the same way as the plaques.
Yeah, I watched this:
Shows how they make acrylic awards. I could see them doing a two step pouring process like they show in the video and you described above.

Nice... I like the design. It's clean but elegant. I've seen some of the plaques pop up on eBay by resellers, but the company itself doesn't ship to the US.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom