ACR 10NL Blitz: How does V make this call? (1 Viewer)

boltonguy

Flush
Reaction score
Sorry guys - tilted by V making this call - should I have gone with a smaller size here?

Hero RFI ATS in CO. V 3! in SB to 4x. Hero calls.

1631549438619.png

V cbets 1/3, Hero flats with gutter, one over and BDFD.

1631549477233.png

Turn gives Hero more equity. V X so Hero fires 1/2 pot. V calls.

1631549546440.png

River is a brick, Hero Jams, V calls??!!
With just a call pre my range is capped (no AA, KK, QQ) but surely I have KQ, AQs, AJs, KJs ... tilted by this call - should I have bet smaller to make it look like value?

1631549606524.png

Sorry guys - tilted by V making this call - should I have gone with a smaller size here?

Hero RFI ATS in CO. V 3! in SB to 4x. Hero calls.

View attachment 776175

View attachment 776176

View attachment 776177

River is a brick, Hero Jams, V calls??!!
With just a call pre my range is capped (no AA, KK, QQ) but surely I have KQ, AQs, AJs, KJs ... tilted by this call - should I have bet smaller to make it look like value?

View attachment 776179
I don't think you did anything wrong. Though, I'm curious if bluffing a strong draw like this as opposed to a weaker draw is correct. At least you block JT. But villain can still have a lot of Kx.

I dunno. I don't hate it. I don't love it.

I didnt think pool would X turn with Kx. Looked weak - decided that if I didnt fire river I was losing the hand.

At these stakes, I don't think it ever makes sense to play anything but completely ABC. Aside from the BBs involved, many are thinking about "Welp, it's only $8 if I'm wrong" at these stakes.

If I was hero with :as::ts:, on the flop :qs::kc::2d: I think I'm blocking some of my opponents bluffing range, so I don't think they have just air when they bet 1/3.

After calling their bet, the board with turn :qs::kc::2d: :4s: and opponent checking, I would prefer checking back, because I think they are not folding their now-assumed (marginal) value range:kx:, :qx: or a decent amount of pocket pairs that much against 1/2 pot sized bet.
If I were to try to get them to fold, I believe I should ship it in the middle on the turn to get some more marginal :kx: / :qx: or lower PP's to fold, while still drawing to the nuts when getting called by obviously better.

Now, when the river pretty much bricks the board :qs::kc::2d: :4s: :9h:
As the villain, what hand would you think Hero is representing with his 1,25 x pot all-in?
There are a lot of busted flush draws, busted wheel draws, and busted broadway draws. Only :jx::tx: gets there.
Villain has also decent pot odds facing the all-in.
In my mind, hero is not representing a premium hand by just calling the 1/3 pot bet, and betting 1/2 pot on a :4s:.
At best I'd assume hero to have a marginal made hand that just improved to a draw on the turn, and busted on the river.

tl;dr, I think that;
- you somewhat block Villains bluffing range on this particular board
- given you block the bluffing range, not many of Villains implied hands like to fold on the turn against a 1/2 pot bet, therefore I would check it back
- if you want to get Villain to fold, you should ship it in on the Turn. If you bet the turn 1/2 pot, what you have behind quite effectively reduces the fold equity you can get on the river, giving villain pot-odds of around 30% when you shove the river.

It is somewhat of a hero call, sure but in villain’s shoes I would put your value range for calling the cbet/betting the turn/shoving the river at exactly KQ and JT. AQ and KJ you can have on the flop but are you really betting the turn + shoving the river with those?

Just one guy's opinion.

FLOP
"V cbets 1/3, Hero flats with gutter, one over and BDFD."
I prefer a raise here, rather than flatting, to figure out where you are. You certainly picked up some equity on the next street with the flush draw, but I'd rather figure out where you are at this point in the hand and fire your 1/2 pot bet (that followed the turn) in at this point. You are representing K/Q with a raise, and can more likely push a TT hand or drawing hand out. If you know you are going to fire if you pick up a flush draw, might as well make that decision now.

TURN
"Turn gives Hero more equity. V X so Hero fires 1/2 pot. V calls."
As played, I'd take the free card.

i think this is the key moment in the hand. A check-call always looks like a draw and no obvious draws came in by the river.
You may think all of this is in hero's range, but villain may assume most Kx or Qx combos would either lead or check raise. I would be very cautious about these sorts of assumptions in anonymous games.

If I were in villains' shoes, this now makes the line super suspicious, and a weird turn to donk after a passive check-call on the flop.

The river shove is super polarizing. Especially if villain has doubts about Kx or Qx being in hero's range, and the river doesn't complete anything except exactly JT, which may not be a pf raising hand. There aren't any obvious monsters hero could have slowplay here (KK, QQ), all of that may have added up to a villain call. A more value-y sizing (1/3 -1/2 pot) might have worked and would look like a one-pair or two-pair sort of value bet.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom