A trip to the hardware store (1 Viewer)

Taghkanic

4 of a Kind
Supporter
Reaction score
I do all my own home improvement and maintenance, and so find myself at a hardware store at least once a week. Meanwhile, collecting poker chips has rewired my brain to notice poker chip-sized objects everywhere. The hardware store is the worst/best for this.

Some recent finds include a hard plastic ring is from a sink drain assembly; then there’s a metric washer, and a ball-bearing:

IMG_4826.JPG

The plumbing flange fits a Paulson starburst very snugly on the flat side... It took a little stretching to make it fit (pardon my farm-damaged fingers):

IMG_4817.JPG

The ball-bearing is very slightly larger than a chip (I’d say about 40mm rather than 39), and makes a great card protector:

IMG_4821.JPG

IMG_4823.JPG

The washer on the other hand is very slightly smaller than a chip:

IMG_4825.JPG

And finally, I also found a 1-5/8" wooden closet rod holder, which I painted to make into a custom dealer button:

closetpole.png

IMG_0033.JPG

I first painted the interior black, and then covered it to spray paint the exterior. Then I used some pennies and a washer to “float” a chip (slightly damaged) in the middle, leaving a channel around. To secure these, I used contact cement, so I could actually salvage the chip if necessary... Though the one I use as the photo shows is slightly damaged, so it could be sacrificed... I’m going to add some felt or contact paper to the bottom to make it slide better, as the wood texture catches a bit.

Now, someone please say that I’m not the only one with this problem...

Attachments

• IMG_4822.JPG
    IMG_4822.JPG
    123.9 KB · Views: 273
(On second thought I probably should have posted this in “gear,” but really such lunacy doesn’t fit any category.)

That may be the best dealer button I've ever seen (y) :thumbsup:

And a lotta love for the bearing card capper, too. Nice!

Not so much at the hardware store, but I did once use the foam rubber from a gift case bottle of Grey Goose to make a dealer's button (back before Sal made me some real DBs.)

I’m going to add some felt or contact paper to the bottom to make it slide better,

Duh!/Aha! moment: Let’s see, what slides well on a poker table? Playing cards. So I’m going to cut a spare card from a replacement deck and glue that to the bottom of the dealer button.

BTW, the surface in these pictures is an outdoor fabric by Solarium which I used to cover my tables—and am about to use it again for a third:

I know it is kind of heresy not to use speedcloth, gaming felt, or other traditional options. But I find this really works great. It has a nice balance between texture and sheen; anyway, cards move well on it. And it is fully waterproof, meaning that I don’t have to worry about spills.

I built one super-elliptical table with a rail with this fabric. For my 98" long dining room table, I cut it to the size of a tablecloth, so that it drapes over the sides, and then attached it to closed-cell 1/4" foam with 3M spray adhesive. This means I can just flop it on or off the table between games. No one really seems to miss the rail; between all the chips and drinks, cards pretty much never go off the edge.

The dark color shows a lot of dust/hairs etc., and looks pretty dirty in these pics because I took them the morning after a game... But I can just clean it up with a sponge or wet rag in a couple minutes, since water is not an issue. A damp microfiber cloth works best. There are other colors available, either via Joann’s or other sites:

25438F75-7D69-4A8B-9D43-9408A563B7CE.jpeg

Here’s the card slider underneath. The name of the road I live on happens to be Hoyle, so I’m locked into using their plastic cards, though I’ve got a bunch of nicer Copags...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom