A PLO/8 adventure.... (1 Viewer)

Inexperienced players typically dont have a clue about hand strength, especially in Omaha games, and especially especially in hi/lo games. Like XT said, the worst that can happen is you lose $42. But assuming he also has the lock low (and that's a big assumption), he has to make a better hand than you with just 2 other cards. That means a king (there are two left), an eight (there are two left), and a pocket pair that either hit a set or is higher than nines. That's pretty tough to do. If it happens, so be it, but I am never folding there, especially to someone who has no idea of their relative hand strength.

P.S. you should have re-potted the turn. Nit.

Chippy the dude could have easily been holding an A. (since only lagtards play O8 for a low w/o an A in their hand) ;)

I was basing this on him asking questions about what qualified as a low with a A2458 board previously (he had 23 and didn't think it was good) and another hand where he had something like A4 and thought it was a low on a A48JJ board.

When someone asked him why he raised he said he thought I'd fold...maybe he saw me bet/folding a lot and thought he had some fold equity...most people here that have played with me are surprised when I fold (at all). As it was, he almost got me to lay down a lock low for the first time at a big bet game.

I dont recall if I was still awake for this hand, but can assure you that you did not underestimate villains 08 skill level.

Inexperienced players typically dont have a clue about hand strength, especially in Omaha games, and especially especially in hi/lo games. Like XT said, the worst that can happen is you lose $42. But assuming he also has the lock low (and that's a big assumption), he has to make a better hand than you with just 2 other cards. That means a king (there are two left), an eight (there are two left), and a pocket pair that either hit a set or is higher than nines. That's pretty tough to do. If it happens, so be it, but I am never folding there, especially to someone who has no idea of their relative hand strength.

P.S. you should have re-potted the turn. Nit.

I was playing super loose pre-flop (ldo), loose on the flop, and pretty tight on the turn. I had a procession of hands where I got the low counterfeited, or made my straight with a flush card river, or made my flush with a board-pairing river...I was getting a little gunshy, honestly. Ran good after this though.

So it sounds like I was stupidly contemplating a hero fold and stumbled on the right play (calling on the river). Interesting...I thought there would at least someone in the "consider a fold" camp.

I dont recall if I was still awake for this hand, but can assure you that you did not underestimate villains 08 skill level.

I think you were out at that point, but it was the guy who was in for 2 buyins in the first orbit (and he played particularly tight after that - so even though this is hours later, his turn raise did send off warning bells off a K23 or A23 hand).

Chippy the dude could have easily been holding an A. (since only lagtards play O8 for a low w/o an A in their hand) ;)

But then he would also have limp-call, check-called with A23x (in what at the time was a multiway pot) making him the biggest passive nit in the history of nitterdom.

I can imagine a situation where I would fold a sure 1/4 pot paying 1/3 of the pot to call but it would be rare. I need to have no chance at high and a super villain read.

For example, villain only raises on A2xx and did raise. Hero holds A236 and the board is 4 5 8 J J.

Hero is getting two to one on the final call even if he has no hope of high. I am not so sure about the Omaha villains I know to lay that down hardly ever.

DrStrange

FYP above to give you a valid low and still no chance at high :)

But then he would also have limp-call, check-called with A23x (in what at the time was a multiway pot) making him the biggest passive nit in the history of nitterdom.

It'd make him a nit, but play PLO8 with the older crew at Foxwoods and you'll see this all the time. They don't fear getting scooped, they fear raising, getting called, and getting quartered. I know, it makes no sense, but I've seen it a thousand times.

It'd make him a nit, but play PLO8 with the older crew at Foxwoods and you'll see this all the time. They don't fear getting scooped, they fear raising, getting called, and getting quartered. I know, it makes no sense, but I've seen it a thousand times.

Also soooo common at the Venetian

River bet by villain is great if he is trying to move you off the same low that is afraid to be quartered (what you were afraid of), or a hand like A8 or A4. That's a rare opponent. Most 08 players overvalue one end, often the low.

Calling turn and river is fine. If quartered I would have expected to lose to A23x; a cooler either way.

I can imagine a situation where I would fold a sure 1/4 pot paying 1/3 of the pot to call but it would be rare. I need to have no chance at high and a super villain read.

For example, villain only raises on A2xx and did raise. Hero holds A236 and the board is 4 5 T J J.

Hero is getting two to one on the final call even if he has no hope of high. I am not so sure about the Omaha villains I know to lay that down hardly ever.

DrStrange

Since he has 1/4 of the pot locked up, and he's getting 2:1, he's really only risking 1/12 of the pot to win 0 - 3/4 of the pot. This is a way more attractive spot than I think bergs was giving it credit for because of his compulsive bet folding that night. He's getting 9:1 on scooping, and 6:1 on 3/4 of the pot, and 3:1 on 1/2 the pot. If he saw this math at the time, he snap calls and never second guesses it, as the probability that the villain is quartering him is pretty low as discussed earlier, and thus he's barely risking that 1/12 pot sized bet.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom