A Method for a New Player to Start Between the SB and the BTN (1 Viewer)

ArielVer18

Flush
Reaction score
At most games, a new player starting between the small blind and the button have the option to "buy the button" or wait for the dealer button to pass. For anyone who doesn't know, "buying the button" means the new player have the option to post a live big blind and a dead small blind. The next hand, the new player becomes the button.

The alternative is to not get dealt a hand, wait, then receive a new hand in the cutoff position.

In my game, I ask the new player whether he'll like to buy the button or play for free. If he chooses to play for free, he receives a FREE lammer (a tiny button with the word FREE on it). The two players to his left post the small blind and big blind as normal. After the hand is over, the dealer button skips pass the new player to the player who was in the small blind. The FREE lammer serves as a reminder for the button to skip.

Does anyone else do this? I'm not sure what keywords to search, so I don't know if anyone else's game have this option.

How does the action work then? Does "free" player act first? Last? I don't get it. Seems like he's just sitting in and acting as the button without the button in front of him.

I think this defeats part of the purpose of the blinds. The blinds are supposed to hit everyone equally. This player gets an extra hand that other players are not entitled to. Personally, I don't even give the option to buy the button. They can wait a hand. They end up using that time to enjoy something from the hot dog roller.

I think this defeats part of the purpose of the blinds. The blinds are supposed to hit everyone equally. This player gets an extra hand that other players are not entitled to. Personally, I don't even give the option to buy the button. They can wait a hand. They end up using that time to enjoy something from the hot dog roller.
This option only applies to new players entering a game. If you require new players to post or wait for the big blind, this will still work.

Any testing? Assuming the button just skips them?

Players don't want to pay blinds twice~
Yes the button skips. I use a lammer to remind everyone the button will skip. If done correctly, no one pays the same blinds twice in a row.

The scene. Players are in a middle of a hand. Table only support 8 players.
Seat 1: Ariel (Button)
Seat 2: Bobby (Small Blind)
Seat 3: Seat Open
Seat 4: Charlie (Big Blind)
Seat 5: David (under the gun first to act)
Seat 6: Eric
Seat 7: Frank
Seat 8: Greg

Only seat three is open. Suddenly, Henry slams opens the front door, "Sorry I'm late guys, I was taking a crap."

Traditionally, Henry cannot start between the button and the small blind. He waits until Charlie has the button before he's dealt a first hand.

However, if he buys the button:
Hand #1
Seat 1: Ariel
Seat 2: Bobby (Button)
Seat 3: Henry (live Big Blind, dead Small Blind)
Seat 4: Charlie (under the gun first to act)
Seat 5: David
Seat 6: Eric
Hand #2
Seat 2: Bobby
Seat 3: Henry (Button)
Seat 4: Charlie (Small Blind)
Seat 5: David (Big Blind)
Seat 6: Eric (under the gun first to act)

If he's allowed to come in between for free:
Hand #1
Seat 2: Bobby (Button)
Seat 3: Henry (free hand)
Seat 4: Charlie (small blind)
Seat 5: David (big blind)
Seat 6: Eric (under the gun first to act)
Hand #2
Seat 2: Bobby
Seat 3: Henry (cutoff)
Seat 4: Charlie (Button)
Seat 5: David (Small Blind)
Seat 6: Eric (Big Blind)
Seat 7: Frank (under the gun first to act)

Hope this helps.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom