A Hawkeye State Hello... (1 Viewer)

CRAW

Two Pair
Reaction score
Hey, guys. Craw here from Iowa.

I'm very new to "chipping" and I (just this week) started researching poker chips to replace my old dice plastic, metal insert chips from back in the day, and can I say I'm absolutely floored with some of your guys custom chips! No only the color schemes, designs, and inserts, but also the prices you had to pay! Color me (pun intended) impressed!

Since I don't think I'll ever be able to afford spending more than (probably) $300 on a set of chips, where do you guys recommend I start shopping? Or, if allowed by the mfgs which I doubt, should I just buy a few custom chips at a time? I like the look of the clay (composite?) chips, but ceramics aren't out of the question.

I've always used non-denomination chips (mainly cash games, w/ a few tournaments), but I'm open to the thought denominations. Remember I'm coming from crap chips, so anything will be an upgrade.

Anything else I've forgotten, please let me know, and again, awesome chips! #jealous

A big Iowa welcome, to you! What part? There are a handful of us on here, mostly Iowa City and Des Moines area. I'm in Burlington.

Give @ReallyGoodUsername ’s post good thought. Link

You could easily snag cool, low-end set there for under $50. You could also buy $300 worth of awesome Paulson Classic $25s - No reason you and your buddies can’t play a cash game, treating these as quarters ($0.25). If you go this route, grab a few $100 chips to increase the bank.

Good chips up for sale there, for a very rare price, with sharp edges..

They were also used in the 2008 film ‘21.’A cool story behind your chips adds to the fun too. Link

Last edited:
As for good inexpensive chips, the Royals from Apache are the best, IMO. You could get about 600 for $300. Depending on how many players, what stakes, and # of rebuys you may be able to handle cash and tourney for not much more than that. Since I only run a few tourneys, I bought these, and I'm very happy with them for the price.

Welcome :)
I'm willing to pay it forward.

PM me I have a number of things to look at.
Maybe we can find something you like.

I graduated from Fort Madison IA Southeast corner.

My Best Jeff

Hey Craw weren’t you a member at the old Home Poker Tournament site? I saw your name and an Iowa Hawkeye logo came to mind!

Welcome!

To get your wheels turning, these are relabeled Apache Majestics...

186E0ABE-B617-412D-B384-3700A37FFC9F.jpeg

At your budget, china clay is a great place to start. The Royals from apachepokerchips (a sponsor here) are very nice, and if you ever upgrade, they will retain at least 50% of their value if you are nice to them, and probably more.

I grew up in Iowa. All my family has left there now, so I doubt I ever go back. But you never know.

Welcome!

Hello and welcome. As far as I'm concerned you can't go wrong with a nice set of China Clay's - Majestics, Milano's, Pharaohs, Dunes and many others. And, you can usually find a nice used set for sale here in the forum. One nice thing is if you get a set and you aren't 100% happy, you can always sell it here. You might possibly take a slight hit on the cost, but seriously chips seem to hold their value fairly well. I've bought and sold thousands of chips (mostly here) and although I do lose some money occasionally, it's rarely a lot. So, enjoy the journey and welcome!!

Welcome!! Excellent advice/input from excellent members here, looks to be I've not much more to contribute lol
If you have any interest in expanding your play variety a bit theres quite a few dealer button/cut card and card deck options available through the forum!!
Hope you enjoy your time here! Cheers, Brie

A big Iowa welcome, to you! What part? There are a handful of us on here, mostly Iowa City and Des Moines area. I'm in Burlington.
Thanks, and I'm a life-long DSM'er.

Give @ReallyGoodUsername ’s post good thought. Link

You could easily snag cool, low-end set there for under $50.

For under $50? I don't understand. @ $1.80/chip, wouldn't that be only 20'something chips?

You could also buy $300 worth of awesome Paulson Classic $25s - No reason you and your buddies can’t play a cash game, treating these as quarters ($0.25). If you go this route, grab a few $100 chips to increase the bank.

Good chips up for sale there, for a very rare price, with sharp edges..

They were also used in the 2008 film ‘21.’A cool story behind your chips adds to the fun too. Link

I love the Classic Paulsons... It might be just a pipe dream for me.

Hey Craw weren’t you a member at the old Home Poker Tournament site? I saw your name and an Iowa Hawkeye logo came to mind!

I may have registered there once, but you probably are thinking of me from the old, late-great, PMC site. I posted there first about chips, but it fell on deaf ears I'm afraid. :(

That said... GO HAWKS! ;)

Welcome to the forum! So many people start on the dice path...

My current thinking, being a six week forum member, is simple and two fold:

1) Buy a quality, used China Clay (i.e., Milanos, Dunes, Royals, Majestic, etc.) or Ceramic (Tiki Kings, Muertos, etc.) set immediately. This will satisfy your desire to no longer carry the self-shame of an unawakened dice owner.

2) Get up to speed on the Paulson/ASM-CPC/TRK markets and figure out where you want to go next. It's best to really take time here then just enjoy/embrace what seems to be the endless ride of research/find/buy/evaluate/repeat.

And good luck with poker!

Thanks, and I'm a life-long DSM'er.

For under $50? I don't understand. @ $1.80/chip, wouldn't that be only 20'something chips?

I love the Classic Paulsons... It might be just a pipe dream for me.

I may have registered there once, but you probably are thinking of me from the old, late-great, PMC site. I posted there first about chips, but it fell on deaf ears I'm afraid. :(

That said... GO HAWKS! ;)
He’s selling a ‘Spirit Mold’ set of 300 chips for $35 - They’re pending a sale now but are still worth a look in case the sale doesn’t go through

He’s selling a ‘Spirit Mold’ set of 300 chips for $35 - They’re pending a sale now but are still worth a look in case the sale doesn’t go through
Sorry, I'm very new to all this... So since all those chips basically look the same to me, are we referring to the final four pictures in his post? Are those "Spirit Mold" Paulsons, or what exactly are "Spirit Mold" chips? If there's a link to learn answer to questions like this please direct me.

TYIA

HELLO, @CRAW , and Welcome!

I've lived in the DSM area for three years now. Still looking for a regular game (or an irregular game, an occasional game, or even a one-off). Gradually putting a list together.

HELLO, @CRAW , and Welcome!

I've lived in the DSM area for three years now. Still looking for a regular game (or an irregular game, an occasional game, or even a one-off). Gradually putting a list together.
My game is so far from "regular" I'd be embarrased to even get your contact info. If anything changes I will keep you in mind though.

@abby99 @CRAW

I have a buddy in the Des Moines area who has a regular game (weekly, I believe). I believe he's on the west side. If you're interested, send me a PM and I can let him know that you would like to be on his invite list.

He's coming to my game tomorrow night (I'm in the Iowa City area), so I can talk to him in person then.

How’s this? This is my "commemorative set" that I just recently brought to work :)

As for details, I assume you mean chip breakdown?
  • Red (100) - 784 chips
  • Blue (500) - 468 chips
  • Green (1000) - 430 chips
  • Black (5000) - 215 chips
  • Yellow (10000) - 40 chips
  • Purple (25000) - 21 chips
  • White (bounty) - 67 chips (plus 60 not labeled)
  • TOTAL - 2,085 chips

41A80D33-90EB-47E5-B7DA-860D7EF5EB96.jpeg

Last edited:
How’s this? My display at work :) What do you mean by details?

Chip and inlay details. What kind of chips are those, and did you create the inlays and stick them on yourself, or how does that typically work? Thanks! Good looking chips!

Chip and inlay details. What kind of chips are those, and did you create the inlays and stick them on yourself, or how does that typically work? Thanks! Good looking chips!
They are just NEXGEN 8000 plastic slugged chips. Nothing special about them. But at the time I originally got them they were an upgrade from the dice chips that everyone had. I've held onto them because I just always liked them.

I designed the labels myself at onlinelabels.com. And yes, I applied them myself. Over 4 thousand labels.

When I upgraded to the Royals chips, I upgraded to a better quality label.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
Back
Top Bottom